Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Blizzard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
winterdream28

First Time Cosplay Questions - WoW or Diablo

Hey everyone- I am new to these parts and to cosplay as a whole. My boyfriend has been working at blizzard for a couple years now and one thing I just love is seeing all the cosplays at launch events and the cosplay showcase at blizzcon. I will be attending Blizzcon for my first time this year and would really like to either cosplay my main Diablo Wizard or possibly my DK or Mage from WoW. I have been looking at photos and have an idea what I would like to attempt, but now I am facing the reality that I have no clue where to even begin.

I have never sewed a day in my life, I was debating what the best first step is now. Do I go sign up for a sewing class at a local craft store, do I attempting to find a mentor(do they even have those type of things) are my ideas possibly to ambitious, you know all the good first time jitters.

This is also my first time in a forum, so I will try to learn fast on how to add pictures and such.

Appreciate all the guidance and help Look forward to getting to know everyone
winterdream28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
winterdream28

http://bit.ly/Yn4am0

Here is an Image of what I believe I will be trying to do ( very ambitious but I have a lot of time on my hands to attempt)
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Fireshark
Craft Foam Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterdream28 View Post
http://bit.ly/Yn4am0

Here is an Image of what I believe I will be trying to do ( very ambitious but I have a lot of time on my hands to attempt)
Are you a crafty person or an artist?
That is an extremely ambitious first choice for a costume, if you want to be accurate (if you don't mind simplified version, this doesn't apply). If you've made your own halloween costumes or can sculpt or something similar you may be in good shape regardless, but I wouldn't suggest something as elaborate as that to anyone just approaching this hobby. I'd give the same advice I'd give to anyone that's new: don't give UP on your big project, but get some experience and practice in first: pick something with fewer pieces in more simple shapes to learn with, and if you find those are easy, then begin work or materials for your bigger dream costume.
Break your costume idea (regardless of difficulty) down into the items you have to make. For example, shoulder pauldrons, helmet, upper chest pieces, lower abdomenal armor, boots, etc etc, and try to figure out what type of material each thing would be made of. If a lot of them are 'I have absolutely no idea', it may be best to start with a costume that you have a better concept of building steps.
This is like anything of varying skill levels; it's RARE for someone to just be able to jump into Master Difficulty: if you want to paint a huge mural someday, it may be best to invest in a smaller canvas to see what that's like, find out how fast you paint, and if you even LIKE painting, before researching and buying something for a hugely ambitious project that will take months.
Fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Thumbalina
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterdream28 View Post
Hey everyone- I am new to these parts and to cosplay as a whole. My boyfriend has been working at blizzard for a couple years now and one thing I just love is seeing all the cosplays at launch events and the cosplay showcase at blizzcon. I will be attending Blizzcon for my first time this year and would really like to either cosplay my main Diablo Wizard or possibly my DK or Mage from WoW. I have been looking at photos and have an idea what I would like to attempt, but now I am facing the reality that I have no clue where to even begin.

I have never sewed a day in my life, I was debating what the best first step is now. Do I go sign up for a sewing class at a local craft store, do I attempting to find a mentor(do they even have those type of things) are my ideas possibly to ambitious, you know all the good first time jitters.

This is also my first time in a forum, so I will try to learn fast on how to add pictures and such.

Appreciate all the guidance and help Look forward to getting to know everyone
Hello!

As someone new to cosplay as well, I hand sewed all my previous costumes which were simple yet time consuming when you are also sewing your boyfriend's. Do you have a sewing machine? I basically learned everything by myself with trial and error and some youtube videos and guides. If there is a Jo-anns nearby, I hear they have classes and I believe the first is free(?). It's best to look at stitching of shirts, dresses, pants, etc. and see what you could do when needed to sew these parts. It's so exciting to start sewing your first one and it get's even better as you go on! Be ready for some stressful periods ^^;

Hope that helps! I'll be glad to answer anything else.

Next Con: AX 2014
Spy Kat from Gravity Rush
Thumbalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
winterdream28

Thanks for the responses:)

Hey there! Thank you very much for your input on this crazy idea of mine, I would say that I am crafty and artsy.... to sorts I have my BA in Art, and am a Digital artist.... problem here though is that I have no real sculpting experience.

I LOVE your analogy to making a mural must do some other painting first! Spot on!

The more and more I think about it, and try to analyze the shapes ( which is even more difficult because I can not zoom that close in Diablo) I am starting to think the wizard idea might be just to much to attempt for my first, very complex shapes and curves.

What are your thoughts about shifting gears to.....Mage PvP Set:http://bit.ly/103Knr1

My plan of attack would be to do the weapon first:
http://bit.ly/Z4m1AG or http://bit.ly/Z4mfYB

to fully gain the idea of how I do with the sculpting, and the expandable foam.... If I can not wrap my brain around the weapon the shoulders would only be more challenging.

As for the sewing, I plan on going to take a class first ( along side of working on weapon) to see if I can even wrap my brain around it all before I buy a machine. I checked and my local joannes does infact have a class $25 investment before I make a super investment is worth the gamble I think.

I really could use the skills of sewing, I am always making outfits here and there for Half marathons I dress up for in Disney but everything I do is held together with hot glue lol!Also I always go all out for halloween, and have great ideas but end up paying some to do rather simple things like add fabric on the the bottom of dresses because its to much to take on by hand lol

As for the dress, I am figuring I am looking at about 6 layers, and figured that the shoulders I would need to work in three pieces that would be brought all together.

Trying to decide if I can figure out the helm or not or will be transmoging

BUT please stop me now if you think this new one is more ambitious than the first LOL

Thank you all again for all the help and guidance it is so great there is a place like this to chat with experienced designers
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Falinadin

Hi and welcome!

Personally, I think that even your second choice may be a bit ambitious Those shoulder pieces may give you trouble.

But even more than possible construction issues, I would recommend that you go with something easy because it'll be your first time cosplaying. I've cosplayed at 4 blizzcons, and it is crazy. You have to smile all day, be polite all day, expect to never get anywhere (and not see any of the actual convention). You will be tired and sore. Fan boys may creep on you, neckbeards will nit-pick, and chances are that afterwards somebody will say something mean/rude about you or your costume afterwards online (it's happened to everyone :/). It's expensive and nerve wracking.

Now all that being said, I LOVE cosplaying, and it has given me some of the best experiences of my life. I've gained life-long friends through it. I don't regret a second of it, and I would be going this year if I didn't have some real-life stuff getting in the way.

Basically the moral of the story is that cosplay is not for everyone. Some people are timid about it, but end up falling in love. Others go into it with lots of confidence but then can't take it.

So again my recommendation is to keep it very simple your first year. Just go, have fun, and make friends. Absorb every ounce of the experience. If you find that it's not your thing, then its ok. If you absolutely love it, then you would feel much more validated in going big next year
Falinadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
winterdream28

Thank you for your honesty and advice Falinadin It made me chuckle! I appreciate it!