Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Ishihara_Seth
一匹狼

Question Low Impact Exercise Options?

Trying to focus on fat loss because antidepressants have NOT been good to me or my figure. However, I have a bad knee from a past sports injury and - for lack of a more delicate way of putting it - my boobs are large.

Running, jumping jacks, etc. are downright painful for me and I've had my knee straight-up give out while warming up in a kickboxing class in the past.

If anyone can give me some low-impact cardio options, I would be forever indebted.
Ishihara_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Kuro Akui Ryuu
I bleed for you...

I feel your pain. Im on antidepressants and antipsychotics and they're been horrible to me. Im so swollen that I cant even walk without my feet and legs killing me.

What I do personalty is cycling. I put higher resistance depending on how my feet and legs feel. I've lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks so Im pretty happy about that. I bet theres other ways to do it but I personally find it less painful to do cycling. Hope this helps.

AX 2014 Cosplays:
Lady HUNK (Resident Evil)
Raven (Teen Titans)
Winter Soldier (Captain America 2)
The Great Fairy (Legend of Zelda)
Kuro Akui Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
rndmguy

Walking and swimming are both options. Jump rope is also pretty low-impact if done right, but the process of learning how to actually do it right might kill you lol.

Things like yoga are also pretty low-impact too and there's a lot of room for modification. Then you also have stuff like rowing, batting cages, some forms of dancing, and I'm sure the list could go on and on.

Around NE OH or NW PA? I'd love to take photos of your cosplay.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Ishihara_Seth
一匹狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmguy View Post
Walking and swimming are both options. Jump rope is also pretty low-impact if done right, but the process of learning how to actually do it right might kill you lol.

Things like yoga are also pretty low-impact too and there's a lot of room for modification. Then you also have stuff like rowing, batting cages, some forms of dancing, and I'm sure the list could go on and on.
Huh! I didn't even think of yoga as an option. I always considered it to be more for flexibility? It's funny you mention dancing because I'm actually a dancer - the choreography I do is pretty high impact stuff so I've had to lay off of it for exercise purposes. I just can't do that kind of thing regularly.

Rowing is a great idea. Can't believe it never crossed my mind.
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Ishihara_Seth
一匹狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro Akui Ryuu View Post
I feel your pain. Im on antidepressants and antipsychotics and they're been horrible to me. Im so swollen that I cant even walk without my feet and legs killing me.

What I do personalty is cycling. I put higher resistance depending on how my feet and legs feel. I've lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks so Im pretty happy about that. I bet theres other ways to do it but I personally find it less painful to do cycling. Hope this helps.
CYCLING. Of course! Sometimes I forget about options that involve gyms since I'm so used to trying to find things I can do at home. XD
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

If you are able to find a gym, the elliptical is a great low-impact machine to use as well.

Also seconding swimming and rowing. These were the exercises I went to after I gave myself shin splints and they worked really well for me.
PurePlummet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
rndmguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishihara_Seth View Post
Huh! I didn't even think of yoga as an option. I always considered it to be more for flexibility? It's funny you mention dancing because I'm actually a dancer - the choreography I do is pretty high impact stuff so I've had to lay off of it for exercise purposes. I just can't do that kind of thing regularly.

Rowing is a great idea. Can't believe it never crossed my mind.
If you do something like the first 30-45 minutes of the P90X yoga workout then it definitely qualifies for cardio.

Unread 04-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Throatriptron
Tsundere

-Cycling
-Rowing machine (cardio AND strength training!)
-Swimming (the local YMCA or Rec center in your area probably has one and are usually cheap to sign up for)
-Yoga (if you're looking for flexibility)
-Sit-ups and crunches on a ball (less strain on the rest of your body, and a better range of motion)
Throatriptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Ishihara_Seth
一匹狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmguy View Post
If you do something like the first 30-45 minutes of the P90X yoga workout then it definitely qualifies for cardio.
Is there somewhere I could find that online, by chance?
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
Pockets01

yoga is really helpful for people with knee problems and a large chest...i heavy on top too and have leg issues since i was 3 so i know where your coming from...best thing to do join a swim class or get a yoga class or video...i recomend Wai Lana or Rodney Yee for videos...
Pockets01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Crystori

I too would like to also mention Yoga. I do DDPYoga and it's super (and super low impact). I injured both knees by falling into the edge of the sidewalk when I was younger and have had knee issues since- when I started DDP yoga it was just about the only thing I could do that was low impact enough to not kill me. ^^; It's funny because now I'm working towards my degree in Kinesiology and I STILL recommend it to people- it's really worth it.
Crystori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
rndmguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishihara_Seth View Post
Is there somewhere I could find that online, by chance?
Send me a PM and we'll talk about it. Not too sure of Cosplay.com policy on that type of thing.

Unread 04-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
boshuda

Strength Training

First: Congratulations on your desire to start working out. If you can stick with a program for a month or two you'll find your life improves dramatically as a result. That first month or two can be rough and you might wonder why you're doing it. I recommend surrounding yourself with as much reminders of your motivation as you can.

Do Strength Training three times a week. http://stronglifts.com/ is a free website with programming. http://startingstrength.com/ is also a great resource - arguably the bible of strength training. There are others but those are some of the best. If you do that, with a good diet, you will lose weight and get stronger. Ideally, the strength gains will make the injuries to your knee minimize as the muscles and tendons around it strengthen. You will lose weight much, much faster than you could with cardio alone. And you'll only spend about 3 hours a week training. Seriously.

If you can't get into a gym or get your hands on a barbell there are some great bodyweight programs out there that can progress you from super basic starting moves (can't even do a pushup? there are programs that can help) to being able to do gymnast level stuff. I can't advocate any of them as I haven't used any. I'm planning on doing http://www.kinobody.com/1756/bodyweight-training/ once a week. His site offers a nice progression for most of the exercises listed, but even the starting ones may be too advanced.

If you add cardio do some HIIT for 15-20 minutes followed by steady state for up to a maximum combined total of 45 minutes. Do it after your strength training so you have true rest days, and don't do it for several weeks until your nervous system has had time to adjust to the new strength training moves.

When you do start doing cardio I recommend the elliptical. My knees give me pain and I've found that strength training makes the knee pain get better over time and the elliptical doesn't aggravate it.

For diet I strongly advocate fasting. http://www.Leangains.com has a 14-16 hour a day protocol and Eat-Stop-Eat has a 24 hour 1x week protocol. I combine them. I went from 260lbs to 170lbs using these resources, and I'm healthier than ever. Honestly you could lose weight with diet alone, but if you fast you really should do some resistance training - even if it's a good body weight routine.

Bonus: Intense strength training and intense HIIT have both been proven to be as effective as antidepressants and I've been able to drop mine thanks to these exercises.

Don't start with p90x or insanity. Both are good programs, but overwhelming to a beginner. If you can't make it through their testing routines (youtube has them, I believe) you may injure yourself using those programs. And they both have a lot of jumping. Very bad for bad knees. Although the yogaX that's been mentioned would probably be fine, and coupled with a good diet will probably help you lose weight.
boshuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
Ishihara_Seth
一匹狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshuda View Post
First: Congratulations on your desire to start working out. If you can stick with a program for a month or two you'll find your life improves dramatically as a result. That first month or two can be rough and you might wonder why you're doing it. I recommend surrounding yourself with as much reminders of your motivation as you can.

Do Strength Training three times a week. http://stronglifts.com/ is a free website with programming. http://startingstrength.com/ is also a great resource - arguably the bible of strength training. There are others but those are some of the best. If you do that, with a good diet, you will lose weight and get stronger. Ideally, the strength gains will make the injuries to your knee minimize as the muscles and tendons around it strengthen. You will lose weight much, much faster than you could with cardio alone. And you'll only spend about 3 hours a week training. Seriously.

If you can't get into a gym or get your hands on a barbell there are some great bodyweight programs out there that can progress you from super basic starting moves (can't even do a pushup? there are programs that can help) to being able to do gymnast level stuff. I can't advocate any of them as I haven't used any. I'm planning on doing http://www.kinobody.com/1756/bodyweight-training/ once a week. His site offers a nice progression for most of the exercises listed, but even the starting ones may be too advanced.

If you add cardio do some HIIT for 15-20 minutes followed by steady state for up to a maximum combined total of 45 minutes. Do it after your strength training so you have true rest days, and don't do it for several weeks until your nervous system has had time to adjust to the new strength training moves.

When you do start doing cardio I recommend the elliptical. My knees give me pain and I've found that strength training makes the knee pain get better over time and the elliptical doesn't aggravate it.

For diet I strongly advocate fasting. http://www.Leangains.com has a 14-16 hour a day protocol and Eat-Stop-Eat has a 24 hour 1x week protocol. I combine them. I went from 260lbs to 170lbs using these resources, and I'm healthier than ever. Honestly you could lose weight with diet alone, but if you fast you really should do some resistance training - even if it's a good body weight routine.

Bonus: Intense strength training and intense HIIT have both been proven to be as effective as antidepressants and I've been able to drop mine thanks to these exercises.

Don't start with p90x or insanity. Both are good programs, but overwhelming to a beginner. If you can't make it through their testing routines (youtube has them, I believe) you may injure yourself using those programs. And they both have a lot of jumping. Very bad for bad knees. Although the yogaX that's been mentioned would probably be fine, and coupled with a good diet will probably help you lose weight.
Thanks for the resources. However I'm not going to fast; it's a really bad idea for me, personally.
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
Indefatigable
a.k.a. Boreotheria

Cycling is great, I have a biggish chest and... it gets sore enough for a week every month that I don't want to jump around. Never have any problems with cycling unless the roads are really bad. XD As for your knee, you could even go to a bike shop and make sure your real bike is properly fitted to avoid hurting the knee further. If you don't have a bike and are in the market for one, look around for recumbent bikes as well as traditional upright bikes.

With my depression sometimes biking is the only thing that I have the attention span or motivation to do, in terms of exercise.

The other thing I found is low impact is Just Dance. I'm not sure which consoles it's available on. I have it on the Wii. The thing is, it only uses one controller, so you technically don't have to do all the dance moves with your legs or even your other arm. So you can control how much jumping and squatting you actually do, while doing all the swaying and arm-waving you want.
Indefatigable is offline   Reply With Quote