Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 04-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
sanfordcam
Petrai Cosplay

Arrow LoL Dragon Trainer Lulu Hat/Staff Construction?

Greetings Cosplayers!

I am looking to make a very large and reference accurate hat (Dragon Trainer Lulu) and was wondering suggested methods?

Pizoobie recently did a very cute Original Lulu and when I asked about how she constructed hers she replied "The body and the brim are mainly Fosshape. I used floral wire (12-gauge) for the curly sides and the top, and also stuffed the top with poly-fil." (Link to her cosplay here)

Fosshape isn't a material that I'm familiar with. I'm curious if anyone has any guidance suggestions for this huge hat as far as materials and even more valuable, construction methods. What to make the brim and a top cone out of? Stuff it like she did with polyfil? Then what about sewing? Eep! Lulu's hat looks leather?

As you can see in the in-game model, the brim of the hat looks a LOT like weathered leather (plus it's THICK!), so I'm wondering what a good method/material to get almost that exact same look for the brim?

Thoughts on the front plate of the hat?

I'm also curious on you guys' thoughts for the staff head/end piece. Foam? Some sort of casted resin?

I've got a lot of time and a lot of resources, so whatever suggestions you may have to get the most accurate looking hat would be beyond helpful! If you've done similar looking props I'd love to see them/hear about your process!

Phew, hopefully not TL;DR so I'll sum it up here-

• hat shape/texture
  • Staff
  • Front plate of hat

As ever thank you guys in advance for reading and thank you for your time! I look forward to brainstorming with you :3
sanfordcam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Mohrigan

what is your budget? also this might help you for better view this is what i use for making LoL cosplays http://lol.zones.gamebase.com.tw/ski...ner?mode=#skin
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
zedzknight

Depending on how good you are at sculpting i would take to sculpting the top and bottom of lulus staff. It Symmetrical so i would just make half and then fiberglass 2 then build a mount to connect to a Wooden dowel or a rod of some sort and then fill with a Expanding foam to take up room and hold it in place. The Hat I would use boning or a internal structure made of Craft foam. The Same thing for the front of the hat sculpt it, Cast it, Paint in Resin 3 or 4 times then and some fiberglass and paint should look identical. (Go to the 405th Halo Armour site or the RPF or even Here to find tips on how to effectively mold.)
zedzknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

I don't have any advice to contribute, but I was just shown this and thought it could also help! http://www.lolking.net/models/?champion=117&skin=3
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote