Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #16
Emrys

Whenever you are walking around a public space you should have shoes on. There are clear flipflops/sandals you could wear or shoes that slip off easily. Keep in mind that 90% of the time convention photos will NOT include your feet.

*Or you could start wearing minimalist toe shoes and work up to barefoot running. It will take years of careful training but your feet will grow a few sizes and you'll get leathery callusses and that's about as close as you can get to REAL hobbit feet... or you can just buy rubber feet.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
Chryso

The actual actors actually (hey alliteration) had their feet cast and hobbit feet made out of latex so they were wearing latex "shoes" - might be an option.
I walked around barefeet indoors at a few cons as Toph from Avatar, the third time though I was told off so it depends on con rules. I was super careful to wear my sandals when outside though as there's no telling if you step on something sharp (might have fallen off someone's cosplay) or something nasty like bubble gum or something.

Run without rivals
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #18
MotherSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryso View Post
The actual actors actually (hey alliteration) had their feet cast and hobbit feet made out of latex so they were wearing latex "shoes" - might be an option.
I walked around barefeet indoors at a few cons as Toph from Avatar, the third time though I was told off so it depends on con rules. I was super careful to wear my sandals when outside though as there's no telling if you step on something sharp (might have fallen off someone's cosplay) or something nasty like bubble gum or something.
This is genius. I don't know how well it would work for say an InuYasha cosplay or some one that has normal sized feet but this is genius for the hobbit. I thought that was just manipulation on the video, that is amazing that they made actual feet for the actors to wear. I'd suggest doing this just because it's safe for your feet to be in instead of touching the dirty ground. Besides, believe me I have stepped on broken glass before, not fun. You don't know what could get into your feet D:
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #19
Kelley
Devil of Details

They will almost certainly kick you out or request you put on shoes.

Not to mention, really uncomfortable for you, personally - floors are not always clean, there's dirt and stuff from shoes and there can be sticky messes and spills and you could get cut. Lots of people have cosplays with parts that fall off - someone loses a gem or a safety pin and it could end up in your foot !

Wearing the "strapless sandals" that glue to your feet or something else like that would be a good solution. Making feet like they did for the movies in an option, but requires a lot of work and is expensive - plus you still have to sculpt and add hobbit foot fuzz. I also agree that even something like rope sandals would work since it goes with the costume aesthetically and seems like if hobbits did have foot coverings, that might be one.

You could also make the feet out of fabric with shoe bottoms or as shoe covers - have the toes stick out past yours. Due to the larger foot proportions I think that could work and would be somewhat easier to do than making an actual prosthetic. Plus, the prosthetics do and did wear out - they went through a LOT of hobbit feet because they were not that durable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
While many have talked about the safety hazards of going barefoot, I am also pretty sure that your feet are going to hurt like hell from all that walking around barefoot all day.
Depends on the person's anatomy and such. I wore just socks a lot inside while in high-school and didn't have any issues.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
shadowfox57

It might be different at different cons but i asked the one i went to and they said that i could just wear pantyhose and that counted as foot covering.
shadowfox57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #21
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox57 View Post
It might be different at different cons but i asked the one i went to and they said that i could just wear pantyhose and that counted as foot covering.
Gross. Remind me never to attend that particular con.

Why is this even a question? Just because you're at a convention it doesn't give you an excuse to be unhygenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

Like everyone has said before, most cons require you to wear shoes. If you decide to just wear some sort of slip-on shoes and just kick them off for pics, make sure to bring baby wipes and hand sanitizer to keep your feet clean and germ-free!
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
luckikitten
Nutella Dipper

I plan on doing an Esmeralda cosplay and she doesn't wear shoes, but I'll have on flip flops/sandals that I'll just take off for the sake of having my picture taken. I walk barefoot at home, but I don't trust walking in public spaces with no shoes on, policy or not. Con plague is bad enough as is without picking up extra bits from the floor. Everyone else already covered the dangers of stepping on something bit as well.

Animazement 2014:

Friday: Esmeralda (Hunchback of Notre Dame)
Saturday: Machi (Hunter x Hunter)
Sunday: Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony; Friendship Is Magic)
luckikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #24
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
I was planning to cosplay a hobbit- so that means walking around in bare feet.

Should I? They wont kick me out or anything for not wearing shoes would they? I was thinking it might prove problematic if someone stands on my toes..ouch...

I had a weird idea- any opinions would be nice-! y'know the souls of shoes that sometimes you can peel out? If I peeled them out and glue them to my feet, could that prove a little bit of protection to the soles of my feet?
Most of the cons I've been to have not been cool with bare feet.
I would really, really, REALLY not suggest going barefoot to a con.

You could just: get thin-strapped thongs/flip-flops and attach your hobbit foot-hair to the straps and spirit gum it to the top of your foot so you look like you just have hairy feet--with soles.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #25
Scorpion89
The Master

Okay folks what part of NO CONS in North America allow you to go barefooted period end of discussion.
Unread 04-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #26
peregrin7676

I just cosplayed a hobbit this past weekend and wore the Thinkgeek slippers. Everyone thought they were awesome! Plus I know there was an incident where a piece of someone's cosplay fell and shattered in the Artist's Alley and staff had to keep people from walking there until it got cleaned up. You just never know what will happen so please don't go barefoot.
peregrin7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #27
Indefatigable
a.k.a. Boreotheria

I think I remember (from the DVD commentary?) that Sean Astin stepped on something sharp and cut up his foot really badly while wearing the hobbit feet.

Aaaanyways... yeah, I wouldn't go barefoot in a hotel/convention centre even if it was allowed. I have a costume that I need to make shoes for. They'll just be little footwraps made out of the same material as the dress. (It's a Princess Mononoke costume that I made for a party a few years back... gotta remake the dress, I think, and make the shoes this time.) But I'll either build them to go around my birkies and put some non-slip rubber paint on the bottom, or wear them inside my birkies and take the sandals off for photos.

I was concom for several years, I've seen and smelled some pretty horrible things in hotel carpets.
Indefatigable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #28
Emrys

I finally found the invisible shoes tutorial. I couldn't find it when this thread first popped up.

http://andsewingishalfthebattle.com/invisible-shoes
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #29
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Since I'm now working on a cosplay where the character doesn't wear shoes. I'm doing Indian Ciel and he isn't wearing shows in that picture. I plan to wear some black ballet flats as it goes well with the outfit. So I suggest finding a style of shoe that goes well with the outfit.

Anime NebrasKon: Jane Porter (Disney's Tarzan) - Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura) - Lapras (Pokemon Gijinka) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #30
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
Okay folks what part of NO CONS in North America allow you to go barefooted period end of discussion.
It's a forum, end of discussion never works
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote