Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 173 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #6781
MeilinII
Captain of the KaRei Ship

On the topic of men sexaulizing female cosplayers, i'mma leave this link here.
http://www.16bitsirens.com/consent/

Honestly, the rudest stories I have are mostly gross pickup lines I would never repeat, in cosplays that wern't even skimpy!

Finished costumes for 2014:
God Tier John Egbert, Meenah Pexies - Homestuck
Kai Hiwatari - Beyblade 2000
Ness - Earthbound
Team Rocket Grunt, Trainer Red, Pikachu - Pokemon
Itachi, Sasuke - Naruto

Planned costumes for 2014:
Hubert - Tales of Graces F - Planned
Timpani - Super Paper Mario - Planned
MeilinII is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #6782
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeilinII View Post

Honestly, the rudest stories I have are mostly gross pickup lines I would never repeat, in cosplays that wern't even skimpy!
I think some conventions should have huge banners hanging around that read in big, bold letters, "COSPLAY DOES NOT EQUAL CONSENT" or something along the lines.

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay: Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%
2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka [Pokémon] - 5%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #6783
Rhapsados
IRL Ibuki Mioda

@AnimeLuxary25 Honestly, yeah. I doubt it's going to happen though because people don't really take it seriously, sadly.

But it can really ruin a con for someone if you repeatedly hear comments and gestures like that.

Also giant banners that say "Cosplay is for fun" as in if someone's cosplay isn't that great... keep it to yourself lol

Future Cosplays
Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)
Akali (League of Legends)
Rhapsados is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #6784
Moon_Phase

I've never had any experience with rude comments really. I haven't been cosplaying for too long though so I do expect it to happen to me sometime in the future. I have a cosplay photo shoot next month downtown where a lot of people usually are and I'm a little nervous that I'm going to get a bunch of rude comments/stares. It should be fun though. xD

Oh wait never mind. I kind of have experienced something. Still don't know if it really has to do with cosplay or if it was something else. I met this girl in my history class and we became friends and talked a lot. After awhile she found me on Fb and added me. I have a lot of my cosplay photos on there and I'm guessing she saw them and thought I was weird after that? Because after that day she changed seats and started avoiding me. lol I really don't care though. She was kinda rude anyway. :/ Even before the incident.

Last edited by Michi : 05-12-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: merging a double post
Moon_Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #6785
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post
I think some conventions should have huge banners hanging around that read in big, bold letters, "COSPLAY DOES NOT EQUAL CONSENT" or something along the lines.
I saw on the ACEN forums that people are planning a "Cosplay =/= Consent" photoshoot. Basically they want to get a bunch of photos of people holding signs like that. I might join in, I haven't decided yet.
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #6786
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
I saw on the ACEN forums that people are planning a "Cosplay =/= Consent" photoshoot. Basically they want to get a bunch of photos of people holding signs like that. I might join in, I haven't decided yet.
Speaking of which, my friend recently reblogged this on her tumblr.
Kenshin 2.0 (Rurouni Kenshin) - 0%

For the Future:
True Form Midna - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #6787
MeilinII
Captain of the KaRei Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
I was thinking about organizing one at my local cons. It just seems like, after looking through this thread, it's one of the big ones that is just NOT OKAY.
I mean, dumb reactions by normies is expected. But sexual harassment from fellow congoers? that's something we can MAKE change if we try.

Finished costumes for 2014:
God Tier John Egbert, Meenah Pexies - Homestuck
Kai Hiwatari - Beyblade 2000
Ness - Earthbound
Team Rocket Grunt, Trainer Red, Pikachu - Pokemon
Itachi, Sasuke - Naruto

Planned costumes for 2014:
Hubert - Tales of Graces F - Planned
Timpani - Super Paper Mario - Planned
MeilinII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #6788
Viveeh
necrocarnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeilinII View Post

It's funny how I get all that crap in my everyday clothes whenever I go out of the house, but never at cons, even if I decide to wear something revealing. This is one of the reasons I find cons a very relaxing atmosphere. I guess I've just been lucky though, seeing that there are so many who have had those gross things said to them in cosplay. I really wish people weren't such assholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudae View Post
"Such a thin, petite female Inuyasha...how 'bout I make you sit boy on me, eh?"

I was nearly at the point of bursting into hysterical laughter rather than being mad, so I calmly said.

"You've 3 seconds to get off me and get out of my sight."

After a loud screech of utter disgust for realizing they were feeling up a dude, the person assumingly hightailed it out of my range of sight, so I couldn't identify who it was. If I could, I'd simply snap a pic and ridicule them about it. It was more funny to me than anything.
Even though things like this are totally hilarious. XD
Link from Majora's Mask

Last edited by Viveeh : 04-07-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #6789
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsados View Post
@AnimeLuxary25 Honestly, yeah. I doubt it's going to happen though because people don't really take it seriously, sadly.

But it can really ruin a con for someone if you repeatedly hear comments and gestures like that.

Also giant banners that say "Cosplay is for fun" as in if someone's cosplay isn't that great... keep it to yourself lol
uh-huh, I have to agree that's pretty true. And banners that read "Cosplay is for fun" does kind of suggest someone's saying a cosplay is bad.

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay: Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%
2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka [Pokémon] - 5%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #6790
SA2R
King of the Skies

I recently sent in my gf's and my Kirito and Asuna pics to Otaku house, and we were featured in the duet showcase. And we got a few bad comments about how we didn't look much like the characters, and apparently we failed. The comments bugged me a little, but my gf was completely and utterly crushed by the comments, and asked Otaku House to take it down. I guess I am more depressed at the fact that she was bothered by the 10-15 people who didn't like it, and not happy by the almost 300 people who did.

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #6791
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2R View Post
I recently sent in my gf's and my Kirito and Asuna pics to Otaku house, and we were featured in the duet showcase. And we got a few bad comments about how we didn't look much like the characters, and apparently we failed. The comments bugged me a little, but my gf was completely and utterly crushed by the comments, and asked Otaku House to take it down. I guess I am more depressed at the fact that she was bothered by the 10-15 people who didn't like it, and not happy by the almost 300 people who did.
you and your girlfriend are fantastic Kirito and Asuna cosplayers! I'm sorry to hear that several people left rude comments on your guys' picture :\ Hope she remembers that there are much more people who love it!!!

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 95%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
WoC!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Lolita!Mikasa -AoT 25%
Hinata Hyuga - Naruto 10%
Yin - Darker than Black 35%
Ruby Rose 80% /Summer Rose - RWBY 90%

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Miltiades Malachite - RWBY
Anastasia(Once Upon A December Dress) - Anastasia
Cerise Hood - EAH
Madeline Hatter - EAH
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #6792
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

To be honest I think it's gotten to the point with me where rude comments just don't bother me anymore. I still get them a lot though, mostly on my weight and how I'm "too skinny" and "disgusting" but in the end I'm pretty happy with my body and that's all that matters.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #6793
Loveable-Eve
Otome Trash

I have never gotten really rude feedback. But I have heard plenty of it.
At Sakuracon there was this girl dressed from street fighter (I think I haven't played it) and she was pretty good. The outfit was like a one piece swim suit. She was posing for photos while me and my birth-father were walking by, he then tells me that, "she didn't have the body for that type of costume" which I found to be insane. I told him, "It's doesn't matter if she did or didn't cosplay is about having fun,"
I have friends that nit-pick people's costumes all the time! It drives me up a wall sometimes. The worst part is that they do it with the person in the area or worse to their face. They aren't mean, they aren't saying "Oh you sux you shouldn't cosplay". The problem is that it is on the tiniest details or even choices the person made. I have to remind them that it's their costume not yours. I mean I makes comments about people's costumes sometimes but that is in my house to my friends or family. I would never tell someone how I think negatively about their costume unless they ask.
Drag Cloud - Final Fantasy 7: Need dress, wig and braids
Bahamat - Fantasy 4: I need wig, and to make the wings
The Best Costume Ever - It's a surprise: All I need is the wig!
Loveable-Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #6794
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

I tend to run into these problems alot of people bad mouthing cosplayers right in front of me....

I was at Sakura Matsuri. And they encourage people to come in cosplay, they have cosplay events and everything. But it's not just for cosplayers, "normal" people are also there. Most of them really love seeing the costumes, they take pictures of us and show interest. But I was walking alot to meet up with a friend (in cosplay mind you) and this girl starts badmouthing all the cosplayers. She started saying how "This is not some freak show! We should be ashamed of ourselves." I just kinda stopped in my tracks, and turned around and just threw her a nasty look. (Sorry not the type to start confrontation)

But really, the people in charge of the event encourage us to cosplay. And as far as I saw, the cosplayers stuck to themselves and didn't bother anyone. No one was wearing anything offensive. Why feel the need to badmouth us, when we weren't doing anything wrong. Like I said, I run into these type of situations way too much.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #6795
xshinox
Ryu Hou, HA HA HA!

^ There are a lot of people that think cosplaying/dressing up when it isn't halloween and/or you're too old to be dressing up is weird, bad, freaky, etc. It's people like them that make us cosplayers look bad. They don't want to enjoy part of life; to have fun and dress up as a hero/heroine for once in your life besides halloween as a kid.
xshinox is offline   Reply With Quote