Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Detour

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Siffy
Goddess of War, etc.

Outdoor photography?

I was too late to get a pass for the actual convention, but that's alright, because I'd really just like to be in the area to get a few shots to build my cosplay photography portfolio. Has anyone been before that can tell me if there are any decent places to shoot outdoors around the hotel? (That a pass, of course, wouldn't be necessary for)
Siffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Akahime
Red Princess

There isn't MUCH outdoors around the hotel that are decent. I aim for the walls as the backgrounds and sometimes corners to make my photos more interesting. Softiel hotel though does not need a pass and their lobby is well lit during daytime so indoor photography isn't impossible. And the Softiel Hotel is WAYYY nicer inside! Or else, it's pretty much just cars, streets, and highway around the hotel area. You just have to get creative from there!

{edit}

But seriously, my favorite area is the south wing (I think that's correct, the side where smokers goes always go to smoke) because of the way the light hits the walls and the way the 'path' makes in a photo, like this one (sorry, old photo, lol):

But each photographer got their own likes and dislikes, so I'm sure you'll find something that you'll like. Just do a quick search around the hotel to see if there is a spot or two you like.
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!

Last edited by Akahime : 03-25-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Siffy
Goddess of War, etc.

Super helpful! Thanks so much!
Siffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Akahime
Red Princess

I'm glad it was! No problem! I hope you're able to find a good spot!
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
carrousel
tu fui ego eris

I would definitely recommend the Sophitel across the street from the con for pics, unfortunately the area outside is not really set up for good photo ops. Remember, you don't have to be at a con to take cosplay pics!

If you wanted to go by the area for the day to just hang out for the atmosphere, most people eat at the TGIF and the DQ and sort of mill about the outside of the Double Tree. Also, if you are 21+ you can still hang out in the bar at the hotel
carrousel is offline   Reply With Quote