Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Animazement

Unread 01-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
multii

AZ in the older days

Anyone here been going since the Sheraton? or before then? How do you feel about AZ and its changes?

See everyone at megacon~
look for the regina with freckles~
hoping to have my setsuka heel finished by then

American Dad is the best show in the world
multii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Sekana Katayama

I've been going every year since 2005, and AZ has grown far beyond my expectations. If it had stayed as small as it was in 2005 and 2006, I probably would have stopped going by now. Every year I see the attendance go up, especially when it moved to the Raleigh Convention Center.
Granted, with that many more attendees, things can be a little more hectic, but I still run across some of the same people I saw in the beginning, and now there are more people all around (which means a variety of photoshoots).
I don't think AZ will ever be the same as Katsucon or Otakon, due to its location and its relative obscurity to people outside of these handful of states. But you never know... it has grown pretty fast.
Sekana Katayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
multii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekana Katayama View Post
I've been going every year since 2005, and AZ has grown far beyond my expectations. If it had stayed as small as it was in 2005 and 2006, I probably would have stopped going by now. Every year I see the attendance go up, especially when it moved to the Raleigh Convention Center.
Granted, with that many more attendees, things can be a little more hectic, but I still run across some of the same people I saw in the beginning, and now there are more people all around (which means a variety of photoshoots).
I don't think AZ will ever be the same as Katsucon or Otakon, due to its location and its relative obscurity to people outside of these handful of states. But you never know... it has grown pretty fast.
It has grown,the location is great too because the steps are great for shoots (i did like the grass at the hotel though ^_~) i think the best part is having so much space
I am worried though, that due to the hectic things every year it may get worse. I fear the con turning into something bad....but it really someplace where you see people you love to be around :3 its a family more or less

See everyone at megacon~
look for the regina with freckles~
hoping to have my setsuka heel finished by then

American Dad is the best show in the world
multii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Sekana Katayama

Quote:
Originally Posted by multii View Post
It has grown,the location is great too because the steps are great for shoots (i did like the grass at the hotel though ^_~) i think the best part is having so much space
I am worried though, that due to the hectic things every year it may get worse. I fear the con turning into something bad....but it really someplace where you see people you love to be around :3 its a family more or less
I think I know what you mean. I do have some not-so-nice experiences sometimes, but on the whole AZ is still a very pleasant con. I'm betting it will stay that way.
Sekana Katayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Debitto_of_Bond
The Quaker Man

Animazement was my first con and I remember fondly when it was at the Sheraton hotel in Durham. They loved us there if I remember right.

Otakon 2014:

Dandy! Space Dandy
Victor S. Court: Bravely Default
Beelzemon: Digimon Tamers
Mousse: Ranma 1/2
Schuldig: Weiss Kruez
TV's Frank: MST3K

AWA 2014:

Dandy: Space Dandy
Megabyte: ReBoot (HOPEFULLY!!! )
The First Doctor: Doctor Who
Debitto_of_Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
KantanaAmaya

I've been going since 2005 as well, so I remember the Sheraton. Most of my memories are of how crowded the place was there, even though I love Sheratons. I think the move to the new location was a very smart idea, and while I miss the old location sometimes (usually when I'm feeling nostalgic about conventions ) this new place better suits the need of the growing convention, I think!
Gyaru coord
KantanaAmaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
Debitto_of_Bond
The Quaker Man

If only the new location wasn't so gung ho with the whole peace binding thing, this past Animazement was RIDICULOUS, it was so bad a LEAK, that's right, the vegetable that Farfetch'd carries, was PEACEBOUND. In the grand scheme it's actually kind of hilarious.

Otakon 2014:

Dandy! Space Dandy

AWA 2014:

Unread 03-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
DragoValhar
Guardian of Darkness

Don't remember when I started going but it hasn't seemed to change too much. They really peacebound a leak? This might get troublesome for me when I go this year. My Sword is not exactly easily bound and doesn't look very friendly.

Looking for a Wooden Prop? Maybe I can Help.
Marketplace Ad
DragoValhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
simpbass

They peace tied everyone of my 20 blades for Mifune last year. but that makes a lot more sense then a leek

Otaku Tosshi (Gintama)
NB Mikisugi (KLK)
Samurai! Sanageyama (KLK)
Makoto(Free)
Lancer (Fate/Zero)
Lie Ren (RWBY)
Mysterious Mare Do Well (MLP FiM)

These are maybes:
Kimblee: FMA Brotherhood
beat up Byakuya: Bleach

P.S. I might skip out on some of these if I feel lazy that day =P

Check out my cosplay page on FB too! www.facebook.com/toshiyasucosplay
simpbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
Debitto_of_Bond
The Quaker Man

Yeah Live Steal and what not I can more than understand, to a point certain wooden weapons too. But yeah the Leak was a bit much if you ask me, and some of the convention center staff were on the grumpy side too... One old dude in particular seemed to have a bug up his ass

Otakon 2014:

Dandy! Space Dandy

AWA 2014:

Unread 04-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #11
SorcererSupreme
Man of Mystery

I went for a solid streak from 2001-2006, took a hiatus, then came back 2008 and two days in 2009.

Animazement has changed a lot in that time frame, and some years were certainly better than others.

One early year; I think it was 2003 or 2004, the Masquerade didn't start for three or four hours. Many other events were late or didn't happen because of this.

2008 was the last year at the Sheraton, of course. It was very crowded, but I had a lot of fun.

I feel like staff falls into two categories- too lenient and too strict. I've been to many other conventions in the intervening years since I started with Animazement, and I feel like its a convention where not everyone on staff is on the same page... so to speak.

Even back in the day I'd see folks who'd come a long way to come to AZ. I do like the fact that more people come from surrounding states. I get sad when I go north for Katsucon and most everyone is from a Northeastern state. I know I can make local/closer connections when I'm at Animazement.
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
NiGHTmaren
...into Dreams
Modoka Magica

I'm coming up from Florida to check it out this year. I have never been so it will be interesting.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Holiday Matsuri (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, Robotnik (genderbend) from Sonic, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
NiGHTmaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
WashuOtaku
Washu's Defender!

I have been going to Animazement since it first started at the Hilton in North Raleigh. It has gotten a lot better since.
WashuOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote