Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #541
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH-Photography View Post
Another question for you all, any photographers selling prints of their cosplay photos, or allowing the cosplayer to sell them? If so, were contracts, or any stipulations made regarding sales?
On a purely legal point of view, the photos belong to the person who took them, so if the cosplayer wants to sell prints he needs a contract.
Depending on the country, a contract can also be an obligation if the photographer wants to sell them (it is in France, for example).
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #542
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Hi guys I've got a question!
When having a photoshoot with a cosplay would you comment if you saw something going wrong with the costume?
I have a photographer who I've worked with multiple times and who produces absolutely amazing photos but when I get them back I see that something is laying wrong on my costume (such as my wig has slipped back and is showing my hair line, or my skirt has fallen and is showing my stomach.) is this something that you would normally point out or would you only notice if a cosplayer asks you to look for it?

(:
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #543
bodatheyoda
Thats right, love me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
When having a photoshoot with a cosplay would you comment if you saw something going wrong with the costume?
I have a photographer who I've worked with multiple times and who produces absolutely amazing photos but when I get them back I see that something is laying wrong on my costume (such as my wig has slipped back and is showing my hair line, or my skirt has fallen and is showing my stomach.) is this something that you would normally point out or would you only notice if a cosplayer asks you to look for it?

(:
I have in the past. But with some of the costumes I do, stuff goes wrong all the time that people have to fix for me. So it might be part of the whole "I know what its like let me fix it" thing. In other cases, I've shot characters I no nothing about. I don't know sometimes if something is wrong with a costume. But what you stated I think should be noticed and fixed. I wont notice things like that for a bit sometimes though because I'm busy focusing on angles and finding the background and lighting I need.

My photography page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tk8919Photography
My DA: http://bodatheyoda.deviantart.com/

http://www.501st.com
bodatheyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #544
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Quote:
When having a photoshoot with a cosplay would you comment if you saw something going wrong with the costume?(:
Not only will I comment on it, but I'll help fix it if I can.
I often show the pictures to the cosplayers while I'm shooting, so they can check how they look, and if they see something wrong/something they don't like, we can re-shoot it.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #545
Akahime
Red Princess

I agree with what both bodatheyoda and Ashurachan said. Also, I find it super helpful to have another someone who isn't one of the models or the photographer, but just like someone as in a friend of the cosplay model(s) and someone who more or less knows about the character(s) standing around the photoshoot area. They're really great at spotting things that both the model and the photographer would not notice since we're sooo busy focusing on the photographing itself. I always encourage to have other people like friends or even my family to come and make sure things go smoothly because I know I hate it when there is something that needed fixed and neither the cosplayer and myself noticed after the photoshoot.
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Anime Expo and Midoricon.
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #546
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. It's in both the photographer's and the cosplayer's best interest to have the costume in good shape for the photos.

I carry a little repair kit in my backup gear bag for exactly such situations: Electrical tape, double-sided tape, bobby pins, safety pins, zip ties, blotting paper.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #547
dinanm3atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
Yes, absolutely. It's in both the photographer's and the cosplayer's best interest to have the costume in good shape for the photos.

I carry a little repair kit in my backup gear bag for exactly such situations: Electrical tape, double-sided tape, bobby pins, safety pins, zip ties, blotting paper.

Hey... I know you

bf.c OT - Apparently I have an account here!
dinanm3atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #548
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
I go from top-to-bottom with the cosplayer before the shoot with a costume check. I now carry a foldable mirror and a repair kit too. If I see something coming apart I'll let the cosplayer know. If it's fixable then we'll fix it. If it's not then I fix it in Photoshop.

It helps both the cosplayer and photographer when everything is (and stays) where it should be.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #549
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahime View Post
I agree with what both bodatheyoda and Ashurachan said. Also, I find it super helpful to have another someone who isn't one of the models or the photographer, but just like someone as in a friend of the cosplay model(s) and someone who more or less knows about the character(s) standing around the photoshoot area. They're really great at spotting things that both the model and the photographer would not notice since we're sooo busy focusing on the photographing itself. I always encourage to have other people like friends or even my family to come and make sure things go smoothly because I know I hate it when there is something that needed fixed and neither the cosplayer and myself noticed after the photoshoot.
^This!!!

Having an extra set of eyes during photoshoots are a godsend for us photographers. They can help with wig untangling, posing suggestions, and costume/wig fixes. Sometimes we get so engrossing in "getting the shot" that we might kind of not notice those kind of issues until it is too late.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: San Diego Comic Con, Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #550
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

Hello from a cosplayer!

Normally when I go to conventions, the most I have been charged is 80 dollars for a photoshoot.

Here's the question:

How much should I expect to be charged OUTSIDE of a convention? I've contacted two photographers already, and both of them want to charge me 200 for an hour. Is this normal? Forgive me for my naivety, I'm really new to this "outside of convention" photography thing ^^;
In the works: Sora, KHII | InuYasha, InuYasha | Rogue, X-Men

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #551
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespairedPheonix View Post
Hello from a cosplayer!

Normally when I go to conventions, the most I have been charged is 80 dollars for a photoshoot.

Here's the question:

How much should I expect to be charged OUTSIDE of a convention? I've contacted two photographers already, and both of them want to charge me 200 for an hour. Is this normal? Forgive me for my naivety, I'm really new to this "outside of convention" photography thing ^^;
If I were you, I'd continue to look for more photographers, but that price isn't too far fetched. I mean, for normal shoots I charge $100 for the first hour and $50 for each consecutive hour after that, so it can easily become $200 for an afternoon of shooting. However, I understand that cosplayers have different expectations, so I normally use a reduced rate for cosplayers. I normally use a much lower flat rate.

So you just need to decided if those photographers are ones you REALLY REALLY want to work with, or if they are just some ones you've happened to come by. You can always use these forums to look for photographers in your area.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #552
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

It can vary quite widely. $200/hr can be reasonable. Free can also be reasonable.

How much is the photographer putting into it? Are they doing all the location scouting, pre-production planning, character research, etc? Are they experienced at giving posing direction, so that you feel comfortable and look your best? Are they helping with props and set pieces? Are they renting studio space, or using studio space that they own, or traveling really far out of their way to get to the shoot location? Is the photographer bringing lighting equipment, backup gear, an assistant?

Or.. at the other end of the scale: Are they just showing up to meet you at the local park, bringing nothing but an entry-level camera with kit lens and pop-up flash?

If it's a person who makes their full-time living at photography and who isn't into the cosplay and convention "scene" then you're going to be looking at some steep rates. If it's a professional who loves cosplay, or who thinks that the shoot will build their portfolio and/or skills, then you might get a reduced or free rate (see TykeJack's post, above). If it's a novice photographer who will be producing novice-quality pictures, then I wouldn't expect anything more expensive than free/TFCD.

For $200/hr, I would expect most or all of the following:
- A diverse portfolio showing high-quality shots in a style that matches your character;
- A well-equipped studio OR an exciting, thoroughly-scouted location;
- Confident production and direction of the shoot, including assistance with posing that's appropriate for your character and body type
- Lighting gear, and the knowledge to use it appropriately for the style and location;
- Backup equipment and perhaps an assistant.
- Skillful post-processing, and timely delivery of the finished product.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #553
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespairedPheonix View Post
For working or professional photographers, yes, this is roughly average or typical to shoot an event, production, or the like.

But if the cosplay is noteworthy and good, it's often easy to find a photographer locally who will do it for free, or for far cheaper than that, like roughly the cost of a meal and gas. If you don't know or trust any local cosplay photographers, try to find a local photography club on meetup or something like that that is active.

The main thing to keep in mind is safety, if you are meeting a stranger over the internet for the first time, all the usual things apply (take friends along, meet in a public place, and say no to anyone who seems suspicious or doesn't agree to these things). Stay away from sites like model mayhem or craigslist which are known to have a high incidence of creepers, and beware of falling for any of the common schemes like online 'friends' who tell you or even talk to you over skype to say they've worked with this person alone and he/she is trustworthy and safe to work with alone in a remote place.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #554
FlashBlitzen
Photo / Videographer

I completely agree with everything Nathancarter posted on this topic.
FlashBlitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #555
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

this is great guys! Thank you so much for your input, it's been very helpful <3
In the works: Sora, KHII | InuYasha, InuYasha | Rogue, X-Men

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote