Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti View Post
The problem with haphazard calorie cutting is that weight loss is in the form of more muscle than it is fat. When you cut calories too much, you lack the sufficient protein needed for growth and repair. In addition, doing this for a chronic period causes your body to adapt to that situation, and eventually progress stalls.

Ideally, the goal is fat loss rather than weight loss, while being able to maintain or progress with their physical performance to ensure that the weight lost isn't mostly muscle.
Alright.
But I work out, so I am fine. I go to the gym every other day.
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
ashainoki

It's good to know that it won't be hard forever. ^^; And that gallon of milk it a great idea actually, how many curls do you think would be a good start for someone who has never done this before in their life? And for push ups and things like that, should I start at maybe like 25 or something?
ashainoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
rndmguy

Why would you waste your time doing curls? Instead you should probably do rowing exercises. Back muscles >>>> bicep, but you'll be working the bicep in the process by doing those anyway.

And starting off with 25 push ups? You'd probably do well by upping the resistance at that point by doing inclines or something.

Around NE OH or NW PA? I'd love to take photos of your cosplay.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
KickAssGirl

Make sure to increase your protein intake to reduce muscle loss.
KickAssGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
nikkiolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmguy View Post
Why would you waste your time doing curls? Instead you should probably do rowing exercises. Back muscles >>>> bicep, but you'll be working the bicep in the process by doing those anyway.

And starting off with 25 push ups? You'd probably do well by upping the resistance at that point by doing inclines or something.
Sounds like she doesn't have access to a gym or much equipment. The curls was just an example of something that can be done with things around the house. However, rowing can be done with a resistance band and they are pretty cheap and can be used for a lot of stuff.

For push ups that's a good number to start out at. I would say you want to do as many push ups as you can before your arms give out. If you can do more than 25 before that happens, you probably will want to do them with your feet in a chair and your hands on the ground (at an incline) if you can't do 25 then no problem, do as many as you can and you will get better.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #21
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashainoki View Post
I would pause for maybe five minutes or so every ten minutes after I had jogged and walked, would that affect weight loss at all? As for weight lifting, I don't really have any sort of equipment for that, are there any other sort of exercises I can to instead?
The name of the game with cardio is raising your heart rate. For me to do that, I need to run and I need to work hard when I'm running. I'm of the opinion that any kind of exercising is great, but you need to be careful with using walking for effective cardio.

The breaks are probably more effective for the high intensity interval training, where you sprint for a minute and then slow down for a couple, because your up your heart rate so much so quickly - a cooldown is necessary for repetition. I think with walking, you need to go for continuous distance/activity and expect that as you get tired from the amount you do, the heart will need to work harder. That's just a perception tho.

If there's a Play-It-Again Sports nearby, you can get some good deals on older weights at some outlets (literally like 30% off compared with the price of the nicer models they have).
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
donttouchmymilk

You've got a lot of people throwing a lot of fantastic info at you, which is excellent. I'd classify myself as a runner too (3-4 times a week, ~20 miles a week), and have lost 30 pounds in the last year. I'm not a huge fan of running on the treadmill, because I get bored really fast and find it much easier to stop running when all I have to do is push the stop button and go sit on the couch. If I'm running outside and decide I want to stop, I still have to make my way back home, and usually decide that I may as well run it so I get home faster. Haha.
I definitely agree that you have to have an eating plan as kickass as your exercise plan in order for running to really make a difference on the scale. So keep that in mind when you head to the fridge. At the same time, you will definitely see some toning start to take place (belly, booty, legs), even if it doesn't immediately reflect in your weight. So that's a plus.
I will also say that changing things up on the treadmill will help with burning fat. Don't always go flat or always on a high incline. It's the changing, hilly motion that helps your body to burn fat, because it doesn't get the chance to get used to the level of intensity and plateau. Does that make sense? If your treadmill has a "hills" program, I highly recommend it. You can still increase/decrease your speed and incline if you want.
Sorry, that was much longer than I intended. Haha.
donttouchmymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflikt View Post
If you're planning on running for weight loss and doing it often, be prepared for joint pains and shin splints. I'd go for swimming, if not strength training like the above poster said.

rndmguy hits good points, it's mainly about diet when it comes to weight loss.
Only if you are running with terrible form and in shitty shoes. Learning to front foot strike, and getting a nice pair of shoes like the Onitsuka ultimate 81's should eliminate all these issues.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #24
FireInMyEyes
Native American Overlord

Cardio is essential for weight loss but it's definitaly not the most important. It goes like this from most important to least important:

1.CLEAN EATING
2.A LITTLE WEIGHT TRAINING
3.CARDIO

20 lbs in a few months is totally unrealistic if the only thing your doing is running.

"I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why,sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!
-The White Queen
FireInMyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote