Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 241 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #5521
Akune-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamitsu View Post
Oh! Here's a question: I've been trying to convince my husband to join me and make himself a Kuroshitsuji costume so we can wander about as a pair. Problem is, I'm not 100% sure who he should be. He's a little too manly to pull off a lot of the characters. I'd love for him to do Bard, but he refuses 'cos he wants to do something a little more elaborate. I'm thinking Charles Phipps is the next best choice. Anyone I'm forgetting? Here's his photo gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/member/240462/photos/
He would of been an amazing Bard! ; e ;

As it was said before...I guess Agni would be the next bet. Though he could possibly pull off Sebastian or Claude.

Maybe someone from the Manga?
Joker?

Unread 03-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #5522
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akune-chan View Post
Ah thanks so much! >///<;
I never really thought that I could pull off Soma so it was a real surprise for me when the opportunity came up!

As for Grell, that is what everyone has been telling me! Its just that wig won't comply and now its a tangled mess. Not even the water/lotion and silicon method is working now. :[ I might just have to buy a new wig all together though I really don't want too...

I am always at awe with your Madame Red *0* Its just gorgeous!
You did a great job on Soma, so you had nothing to worry about!

It sucks you might just have to get a new wig for Grell. I hate when I have to get new pieces for something that I already considered finished.

And thank you for your kind words about my Madam Red. I put a ton of work into it and still feel like it's one of the best costumes I've ever made, so when I hear a compliment on it I get really giddy.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #5523
rajamitsu

Quote:
He would of been an amazing Bard! ; e ;
I'm kinda wondering if he'd like Bard's casual, non-chef clothes better. I kinda forgot about that. ^^;

Also! I love that you have Soma's drawing. XD Best prop ever!
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #5524
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
I'm kinda wondering if he'd like Bard's casual, non-chef clothes better. I kinda forgot about that. ^^;

It's possible. I know I do. (And I'm on minitokyo as I type if you want me to hop on over and find any references)

Oh my gosh, Akune...you're really a great Grell even with the hair thing..and the best Soma I've actually seen, honestly. *.*

And...on my front, I am totally considering being Grell before Undertaker. He's a costume I've wanted to do since BEFORE I ever really even got into Black Butler (first from seeing Parle's Demyx cosplay him, then from seeing Uehara play him in the musical..then I actually got into the series) and I've put him off for quite a while now. Really it was just from not wanting to have such a baby face and to be old enough that I can at least partially act in character for him..And now I feel pretty confident that I could do him..at least decently.
And I think he's the one costume where decently is perfectly fine with me, since I adore his character and know I'll make my own fun with it regardless.
(..and getting encouragement from a really awesome Sebastian and future Ciel in our area boosted my confidence for it a lot too ;////; )

Of course, you'll never know with me..but it seems for now that I'll have just enough money to be able to get his wig and glasses bundled together when the time comes.
I don't want to dish too much out on a wig, but knowing how bad I am when it comes to styling and guessing quality, I'd much rather play it safe and get it from a seller I've heard much more wonderful things about. I've already had two complete fails for him as far as wigs go... :I
And for some reason I still have a voice going "WHY. HIS WIG IS SO DIFFICULT." even though 'Taker's would be just as difficult to manage. Maybe it's FROM having two complete fails for him before xD
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014

Last edited by FuntomKitten : 03-29-2013 at 07:50 PM.
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #5525
Akune-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
You did a great job on Soma, so you had nothing to worry about!

It sucks you might just have to get a new wig for Grell. I hate when I have to get new pieces for something that I already considered finished.

And thank you for your kind words about my Madam Red. I put a ton of work into it and still feel like it's one of the best costumes I've ever made, so when I hear a compliment on it I get really giddy.
<3 You should! Its just like she popped out of the series!
If only I could get shots with you ; e ; It would make my cosplay career as Grell!

Quote:

I actually forgot that Bard has those too. XD; I am so used to him being dressed as a chief.

And thanks! It took a while to find references for that drawing of his XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post
It's possible. I know I do. (And I'm on minitokyo as I type if you want me to hop on over and find any references)

Oh my gosh, Akune...you're really a great Grell even with the hair thing..and the best Soma I've actually seen, honestly. *.*

And...on my front, I am totally considering being Grell before Undertaker. He's a costume I've wanted to do since BEFORE I ever really even got into Black Butler (first from seeing Parle's Demyx cosplay him, then from seeing Uehara play him in the musical..then I actually got into the series) and I've put him off for quite a while now. Really it was just from not wanting to have such a baby face and to be old enough that I can at least partially act in character for him..And now I feel pretty confident that I could do him..at least decently.
And I think he's the one costume where decently is perfectly fine with me, since I adore his character and know I'll make my own fun with it regardless.
(..and getting encouragement from a really awesome Sebastian and future Ciel in our area boosted my confidence for it a lot too ;////; )

Of course, you'll never know with me..but it seems for now that I'll have just enough money to be able to get his wig and glasses bundled together when the time comes.
I don't want to dish too much out on a wig, but knowing how bad I am when it comes to styling and guessing quality, I'd much rather play it safe and get it from a seller I've heard much more wonderful things about. I've already had two complete fails for him as far as wigs go... :I
And for some reason I still have a voice going "WHY. HIS WIG IS SO DIFFICULT." even though 'Taker's would be just as difficult to manage. Maybe it's FROM having two complete fails for him before xD

Hey if you don't think you could pull off older Grell there is always his younger version from the OVA. Then again, who care's what other people think! If you want to be Grell, go for it!
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #5526
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Hey if you don't think you could pull off older Grell there is always his younger version from the OVA. Then again, who care's what other people think! If you want to be Grell, go for it!
True, it's just that his older version has all the design aspects I love..
And it is the only costume I've honestly been able to say "Who cares what others think?" and not be partially lying to myself, simply because I love him to bits and have been waiting forever to do this costume. I do think I can do it, it'll just take more finesse with makeup >A<;
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #5527
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I've only had the materials for a day but I got a big chunk of Indian Ciel done. The pants are pretty much done, they just need to be shortened. I'm pretty proud of the shirt. I had to draft the collar and I was really nervous about cutting the keyhole. But in the end it's just what I wanted, I just need to put bias tape on the edges and add the frog clasp.

I found a belly dancing website that sold jewelry that is very similar. However, I'll be making the headdress myself.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #5528
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
<3 You should! Its just like she popped out of the series!
If only I could get shots with you ; e ; It would make my cosplay career as Grell!
Thank you! And holy...really? To see you say that it would make your cosplay career as Grell to have pictures together like floored me and totally made my night. Seriously, that boosted my confidence like by a million. I wish we were close because I don't have a friend that does Grell (I've posed with several and know someone through another friend, but that's it) so I'm always happy to find someone to take pictures with in my costume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
I've only had the materials for a day but I got a big chunk of Indian Ciel done. The pants are pretty much done, they just need to be shortened. I'm pretty proud of the shirt. I had to draft the collar and I was really nervous about cutting the keyhole. But in the end it's just what I wanted, I just need to put bias tape on the edges and add the frog clasp.

I found a belly dancing website that sold jewelry that is very similar. However, I'll be making the headdress myself.
The top is looking really nice. And belly dancing sites are great resources for that kind of jewelry. I know a girl that belly dances and she has some of the most beautiful stuff because of it.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #5529
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post

It really does look great. I'm excited to see this!

On my front, logic and my brain do not get along. I was sitting around today, and added up the costs for Undertaker and Grell to pit them against each other..putting max numbers for everything I was unsure about, like shoes, makeup, etc..Grell was cheaper. By $5.
Until I got up to go rummage through my closet. Turns out I have an old coat that I had ironically intended to use for Ripper!Grell, that is absolutely HUGE on me...and now works almost perfectly as an Undertaker cloak. Which knocks the price riiight down to being less than half as cheap as Grell.
Any sane person would go "Great! I should work on Undertaker then and finish him quickly, then put all my effort and money into Grell!" but I go "Great! I should get my ass to work on Grell since I can cosplay Undertaker almost whenever I want, then!"
....*sighs* I am never going to be able to come to a decision on this. @.@; I've started hunting for Grell's shoes, but I have a feeling I'll have to head over to a place like Goodwill..and I'm not sure how soon I can do that. Then again, I've also got to find modeling wax and lots of makeup for Undertaker, and god knows I don't know where or what price range to put on that. WHY IS THIS SUCH A HARD CHOICE--

..And as an ending note, you never really realize how picky you are about details until someone gets them wrong. When I went to compare prices I noticed someone on eBay selling Undertaker's pendants and my mind immediately just went "OH MY GOD CLAUDIA'S IS SO WRONG." (See here.) They put the date as 13th of June and I couldn't tell the year, as well as not including her name. Might be because I've been reading heartbreaking fanfictions that include her as a past lover, but that just grated at my nerves. You have such a lovely reference. Why do you get it wrong.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #5530
rajamitsu

@FuntomKitten: My vote would be Undertaker, but I tend to like him a litter better myself. However, if your mind keeps going back to Grell, I'd say go with that. Better to crack down and do the one your mind keeps going back to than start working on Undertaker all the while wishing you were making Grell, it that makes sense. ^^

And success on my end today! Showed the hubby a picture of casual!Bard. He immediately lit up and declared it his summer project. XD Victory!
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #5531
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
@FuntomKitten: My vote would be Undertaker, but I tend to like him a litter better myself. However, if your mind keeps going back to Grell, I'd say go with that. Better to crack down and do the one your mind keeps going back to than start working on Undertaker all the while wishing you were making Grell, it that makes sense. ^^

And success on my end today! Showed the hubby a picture of casual!Bard. He immediately lit up and declared it his summer project. XD Victory!
Awesome! I'll have to keep thinking it over..though I also just remembered about Undertaker's hat and how awkward the coat I have would look with it unless I put a ton of effort into getting them to match. So I might end up not using the coat I have for him at all.. ._.
I really ought to pull out the chainsaw my mum forced on me around Halloween (I'd seen it, then seen the $40 price tag and went NAH DON'T WANT IT THAT MUCH but she went YES YOU DO BRING THAT HERE NOW YOU NEVER GET ANYTHING and got it for me.) and try to figure out whether or not I should and the best way to go about painting it. I'm pretty sure it just has fake blood that I'll have to paint a darker shade than the chainsaw itself if I do end up painting it..
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #5532
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

And an update..
Painted just a bit of Grell's chainsaw today, and realized it's going to be much harder than I thought it would be. So I've set it aside for now..
As I went to check on the Undertaker pendants I saw up for sale on eBay, since buying them will be much cheaper than making them as I've found, and turns out that it ended tonight. I flipped out about this fact and ended up bidding on them, and winning them!
So yeah. Grell is still too much of a pain in the bum for me and Undertaker is officially my next costume. Now I just need to get a wig and do makeup tests for him..and figure out what to do about his hat and making it partially match my coat.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #5533
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I finished the shirt. I still need to finish up the pants but my mom is never available to assist me. I also need to make the sash, headdress and eyepatch.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #5534
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quick little update, I got the Undertaker pendants I ordered and they're fabulous! I can really forgive the little inaccuracies, they're still really nice.
I also just need to pay for my wig, and got some silly ideas for him while hanging out with other Kuro cosplayers. I'm really excited. I'll be doing something along the lines of this for a con in June, and I'm actually more excited about that than doing the default version for him. xD
And then when I'm done with a couple of versions with him, I get to do Grell. I'm excited but dreading that one. He's lovely and I absolutely have to cosplay him but he is a pain in the butt to deal with >_<
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Upcoming Cons
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #5535
heaven_firings

Akune-chan, you've officially made me want to cosplay Soma the next time my group does Black Butler. I've always been pale so his skin color was a concern I had for a long time and prevented me from going for it because I don't tan, I burn. But after seeing the way yours turned out so well I know it's possible now.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote