Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
ARPEGG1

Cool Chell from Portal Cosplay

I have been busy working on my cosplay of chell for a friends party and thought i should share how its coming along. I didnt gave the budget for the portal guns available so i opted for a lifesize companion cube as my prop. i have also been working on long fall boots and they are almost finished as well.*

Heres a few photos of some of the elements so far. i will share full costume photos later.
my companion cube:

i made a stencil for my apertute science shirt:
[IMGhttp://www.design-r.net/images/29fa71l.jpg[/IMG]

this is one of my longfall boots. sorry for the bad photo:

this is a preview of the actual costume on. will have photos of full outfit after next weekend.

for a low budget costume i'm very happy with the outcome.
ARPEGG1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
ARPEGG1

reference image
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
firecrackthis

looks pretty good!
how did you do the boots?
firecrackthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
ARPEGG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecrackthis View Post
looks pretty good!
how did you do the boots?
the boots took a little work.
i had an old pair of ankle boots that were cheaply made so i could easily remove the heel. i then cut down the height of the ankle a bit. i got 2 flat rods of alluminium and bent them into shape i used a street light post to get the curve haha. i then got black electrical tape anf covered the metal
i made a boot cover out of whit vinyl took a little bit if fiddling around to get the template right then i made a separate overlay to create the different layers of the boot.
the metal brace straps to my thigh eith velcro and the second overlay covers it so it looks like everything is joined but thr boots can actually be pulled apart in 4 different pieces. so if i get sick of walking around with the brace i can take it off and bemuch more comfortable. since the party i sm wearing this goes all night i wanted to be able to eemove it and still be incostume later on. i'll upload photos of all the different layers when i get into the costume and will take better quality photos.

pretty happy with it.
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
ARPEGG1

and as i forgot to put in the original rrference image here it is.
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
ARPEGG1

well that didnt work...
heres the original companion cube:

heres the full image of chell

fingers crossed the images load now.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
firecrackthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPEGG1 View Post
the boots took a little work.
i had an old pair of ankle boots that were cheaply made so i could easily remove the heel. i then cut down the height of the ankle a bit. i got 2 flat rods of alluminium and bent them into shape i used a street light post to get the curve haha. i then got black electrical tape anf covered the metal
i made a boot cover out of whit vinyl took a little bit if fiddling around to get the template right then i made a separate overlay to create the different layers of the boot.
the metal brace straps to my thigh eith velcro and the second overlay covers it so it looks like everything is joined but thr boots can actually be pulled apart in 4 different pieces. so if i get sick of walking around with the brace i can take it off and bemuch more comfortable. since the party i sm wearing this goes all night i wanted to be able to eemove it and still be incostume later on. i'll upload photos of all the different layers when i get into the costume and will take better quality photos.

pretty happy with it.

really cool this might be my next costume so its nice to see the different ways people do the boots
firecrackthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
ARPEGG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecrackthis View Post
really cool this might be my next costume so its nice to see the different ways people do the boots
i find a lot of people cheat ths boots and have the brace part attach tothe heel of a shoe so its not actually a heel-less shoe. and then theres some people that go to the nth degree and weld metal boots with everything attached. i feel my boots are the middle ground where it still has the propper brace heel but the actual boot part isnt as involved. it takes much less time to create is more comfortable and i think it still achieves the result without the need to welding and smitjing skills.

if u decide to make similar boots i can give you a rough outline of how i made made the templates. and the structure of the boots.
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
ARPEGG1

Full Costume:

The Companion Cube:

Close-up of boot and partial companion cube:

Others enjoying the companion cube:
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

That companion cube is sooooo awesome. How did you make it?
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #11
ARPEGG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalbakaness View Post
That companion cube is sooooo awesome. How did you make it?
i got a card board box and adjusted it to it was a cube rather than a rectangle. it came to approx 33cm cubed. i then created the textures in photoshop and printed out everything on large format photo paper.
i created. the base texture layer that covered up all the sides first. once printed and cut to shape i glued each pannel in place. i then got more cardboard and cut the shapes for the corners circles and edge rasied parts and printed out the texture panels to cover them. i covered each piece individually first before glueing it in place on the main structure of the cube. i am willing to send people the designed textures if they want them.

it was very popular. everyone loved it and i am surprised i got to bring it home as everyone kept snatching it all night.