Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

What to eat when cutting?

And by "cutting" I mean cutting vs. bulking (I am relatively mentally stable, heh).

My bulking phase hasn't been going all the great, but it's about time to start the cutting phase, so I'm worried about losing what little muscle I've gained.

For my cutting phase I'm planning on reducing calorie intake to about 80-90% of my minimum required and upping the cardio while maintaining my lifting routine since I only need to lose a few pounds of fat, but I really want to avoid losing muscle. I'm thinking of using something high-protein as a snack to both tide me over between meals, as well as reduce muscle loss as much as possible.

I'm not a huge fan of protein bars (and they tend to pack a lot of calories which might be better for bulking), but what would be a good, high-protein, low-fat/calorie snack. Is beef jerky a good thing to turn to? Not like slim-jims or something with a lot of additives, but straight up dried beef?

Tips on what to eat (and tips in general for bulking/cutting) would be greatly appreciated!
PurePlummet is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
rndmguy

I sometimes eat jerky for a snack, it's not really that bad of an option.

Generally when I'm cutting, I eat the same things I did while bulking, just less of it. All you really should be doing for a cut is lowering your carb intake since your protein and fat requirements shouldn't be changing much at all.

Around NE OH or NW PA? I'd love to take photos of your cosplay.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
sexytime10
See you next week

rndmguy knows his stuff. You can basically eat exactly what you did during your bulk, just less of it. Make sure you're still eating around the same amount of protein though (about 1g per pound of bodyweight) If you can't get enough protein during the day through chicken or other protein sources, think about taking whey protein.

Also, cottage cheese and greek yogurt are great. And personally I drink rice milk or almond milk instead of whole milk because I'm lactose intolerant. I can post a shit ton of foods / recipes for cutting if you're really interested.
sexytime10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

Thanks, rndmguy and sexytime! Yeah, I'd really appreciate food recommendations (especially with exact amounts of protein per serving if you happen to have that info)! I'm mildly lactose intolerant too so I drink soy milk which is also a good source of protein, and I'm able to eat cheese.

Tips as to foods to avoid would be great too! I'm definitely going to be cutting down on my simple carbs, but are there other things to avoid?

Are oats a good source of protein? I've been wary of them since I've always seen them more as a source of heavy carbs...

Last edited by PurePlummet : 04-10-2013 at 01:58 AM.
PurePlummet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
rndmguy

I don't think oats a very good source of protein, but who knows, I never looked it up. If it's like oatmeal then they just have high fiber content.

Beans are an excellent source of protein though. I like having a bag of pinto beans sitting in a pot, and I'll cook it with a couple of ham neckbones, which I also eat.

One of the things I eat everyday is my very own McMuffin. It's real simple to make too.

Two slices of bacon, two large eggs, 1/4C Cheddar cheese, 2 slices of bread.

Simply cook the bacon, scramble the eggs soft with the cheese, and then put it on your toast. I personally use rye bread for this.

Just enjoy yourself. Even in a cut, you need to. When I cut I still manage to fit ice cream and stuff in sometimes, it's mainly about calories in vs calories out.

Around NE OH or NW PA? I'd love to take photos of your cosplay.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
nikkiolie

I am working on cutting as well at this point so thanks for the advise. The hardest part for me is keeping my fat low and my protein high. I have some protein powder I am going to start using. Need to get more soonish.

But when I love eating jerky for protein. What is actually a cheaper option (I suppose if you already have the equipment) is to make it yourself. We have a machine we got a while ago and you can make your own and have better control of what goes in it for a fraction of the price....I may actually do that this weekend. I like mine really spicy. Jerky is usually about 4-5 a bag and I can eat it all in one sitting. You can get a nice cut of meat for about $20 and it would make 5+ servings.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Tofu shirataki noodles. Pretty delicious, no calories, tonbed of fiber. Fills you up heaps a well. Seriously, 20kcal to an ounce.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
sexytime10
See you next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePlummet View Post
Thanks, rndmguy and sexytime! Yeah, I'd really appreciate food recommendations (especially with exact amounts of protein per serving if you happen to have that info)! I'm mildly lactose intolerant too so I drink soy milk which is also a good source of protein, and I'm able to eat cheese.

Tips as to foods to avoid would be great too! I'm definitely going to be cutting down on my simple carbs, but are there other things to avoid?

Are oats a good source of protein? I've been wary of them since I've always seen them more as a source of heavy carbs...
fuarrk forgot to check this thread but yeah here's basically what I eat everyday. usually 4 - 5 meals a day but keep in mind im bulking at around 4000cals but you can eat pretty much exactly what I'm eating just less or cut out a meal or two.

meal 1: 4 large organic eggs scrambled with tbsp olive oil (oil for bulking, healthy fat though) 1cup quaker dry granola and almond raisin cereal, unsweetened green tea 944calories 81g carbs 50g fat 39g broteins

pre workout shake: scoop of whey w/ multivitamin powder in water 140cals 3 carb 3 fat 27g protein

meal 2: this is usually my largest meal. I generally eat whatever for this meal since I have a lot of healthy and cheap restaurants around where I live that save a poor student like me a lot of time and money. my ideal meal that I cook is something like this though: marinate 3 chicken breasts in oilive oil, garlic salt and some lousiana seasoning overnight. put it on the grill and eat with a can of black beans and a cup of rice as well as mixed vegetables or a salad. 1000+ cals lots of carbs generally low fat and around 40g~ protein

meal replacement shake: if you have a good blender this will save your life and your wallet. making homemade high cal shakes saved me SO much money and time, and you can make them however you like. for cutting you'll probably want to throw in a lot more fruit or maybe just less of what i'm using, but my recipe usually goes like this:
shake recipe: throw all this in the blender: 2cup unsweetened rice milk, handful of almonds, 2/3rds cup rolled oats, frozen banana, unsweetened dark belgium chocolate, 4tbsp unsalted peanut butter, and 1 -2 scoops whey protein. 1,706cals 163carbs 79fat 90g protein. I may drink half of it, wait 1 - 2 hours and drink the rest simply because its a ton of protein.

before bed: 1 cup cottage cheese 200cals 31gprotein

my exact numbers for today was 3,989cals 373 carbs 120fat and 210g brotein w/ low sodium and sugars of course so I hit my goal just fine today. I'm able to maintain about 8%bodyfat even on a bulk because i'm hitting my numbers about right and eating healthy as fuarrk despite gaining about 2.5lbs a week and lifting weights 6days a week hitting every muscle group twice a week.i don't do cardio personally since i'm on a bulk and that'd just be wasting calories for me but its extremely important on a cut.

uh and please don't think that carbs or fats are bad on a cut. carbs give you energy on a workout so long as you're burning enough cals each day you can afford to eat a lot of carbs each day (broscience). i'd recommend enough healthy fats like fish oil and olive oil.

I by no means have the definite answer for cutting nor bulking since nutrition in general is just a baseless broscience for the most part and you're probably going to read things that contradict my very post. Just remember that you need to find out what works for YOUR body specifically. but so long as you're eating enough calories, burning enough calories and hitting the right amount of carbs fats and broteins you're going to lose / gain weight depending on your goal and it doesn't really matter when you eat them or even how you eat them. still you should avoid sugary and processed foods with high sodium like soda and fast food places if you want to stay strict. once again its really just about finding your personally flow, weigh yourself every week and see what works for you and you'll make it brah. the stricter you eat, the more efficient your weight loss will be basically and I wish luck 2 ya m8
sexytime10 is offline   Reply With Quote