Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 03-16-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

To "Pack" or Not To "Pack"? (FtM crossplay)

Seeking second (and third, and fourth, and so on) opinions here!

I'm planning to cosplay a male character with very tight pants. Some have suggested that I add a little something extra because otherwise the tightness of the pants scream "HELLO I AM FEMALE."

I'm personally kind of torn because I'm worried packing might be a bit too much, but at the same time if it's making something that's making something that would otherwise be a dead giveaway to my gender less obvious, it's pretty similar to binding which I do without a second thought.

What do you guys think? Should girls crossplaying guys with tight pants add that little something extra (I probably would not use anything more than a folded up napkin or handkerchief; I'll pass on the sock bulges and dance girdles) or is it too much?

Also please let me know if this has been discussed elsewhere, so I can refer to that instead!

Last edited by PurePlummet : 03-16-2013 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Grammar.
PurePlummet is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

It's all very much a personal choice. If you feel it'll enhance your character, go ahead and experiment with it first before showing up the day of the convention. Most ladies don't bother with it and they still have excellent crossplays...that's what I've seen anyway.

Also keep in mind....people will eventually figure it out when you have to use the restroom :P
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Crossplay, no, since characters don't typically have well, their "junk" showing in the anime. If you are transgender or such, go for it though. I really don't see the point in going for that unless you are 100% into passing and./or trapping.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Sayoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Talossa
We try hardcore!

I crossplay all the time and have never bothered with it. I figure, if anyone is examining my crotch that closely, I've got bigger things to worry about...
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
shonen_jidai
Ganbatte minasai!

As long as you're not showing a camel toe, you don't really need to pack anything.
parent's guide
shonen_jidai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Unless your crossplaying David Bowie from Labyrinth...I wouldn't. As a guy, even our "tight pants" don't showcase all the "items below" that packing entails, and I wear some tiiiiight pants for some. They're made to minimize that, even if they hug everything else.

In the end, it's completely your call.
Eau de Decus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Khorrupt

Personally, I would say no. I'm all for authentic crossplay, but that...might be going a little far. Even if your character has tight pants, people probably won't look at your crotch and go "BUT THAT'S A GIRL."

As everyone has said, it's your choice, but personally, I don't think it's necessary.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~Princess Aurora [ Blue ] (Sleeping Beauty) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 03:18 AM   #8
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau de Decus View Post
Unless your crossplaying David Bowie from Labyrinth...I wouldn't.
The pants are basically David Bowie's from Labyrinth, haha.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! A lot of good points and advice here for me to consider. Much appreciated
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Kelley
Devil of Details

There's really no "should", just whatever you want to do.

I think it depends on the character. Do you have reference pictures ?

The thing about tight pants is that if you have girl pants, they'll tend to make your hips look girly, anyway - so a packer would just be incongruous.

If you can otherwise really pull it off, go for it if you want to. I think it really depends on the over-all look and yourself.

I have a realistic packer because I feel like folded up fabric just looks more weird than helpful. It's discreet, almost unnoticeable in most situations - but it's the right shape when it matters and it's "just genitals" instead of "you stuffed something in your pants" (which can look weird or used diaper-y). If I had tights, I would still wear it but treat it like it was real - wear something to smooth everything out instead of how the typical guy in a spandex superhero suit ends up showing everyone more detail than they wanted to see.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
Reilala

If the character has a bulge, why not pack. If they don't it's not really worth it.
Depending on how much you need, athletic protectors work really well for Bowie cosplays.
Reilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

Reference pic:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../Guy_Cecil.jpg

I think shonen_jidai's comment says it all for me, though :P I'm leaning towards padding it out slightly just so it's not incredibly obvious I'm a girl. I guess for me it's not so much about successfully faking male genitalia as it is trying to make the area look sexless and not obviously female. Really appreciate all your tips, though!
Unread 03-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
belligerent
Viking Metal

I'd also give yourself enough time to do a test run to make sure everything stays in place or doesn't look odd, if you end up doing it.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
Kelley
Devil of Details

A small semi-flexible athletic cup won't be terrifying in your face PENISPENISPENIS, but it will give a good general suggesting of a shape. Cups come in different sizes, you might even end up getting a "child" size one so that it doesn't look like you put a piece of field armor in your pants. It's also good because it won't go anywhere.

If you "stuff" with something, make sure it's secured so that it won't escape.

I would still consider how you look in the costume over-all. Stalking your gallery, I'd be inclined to say go for it because you seem to pass pretty well - just as long as your hips aren't too obvious in the chosen pants (if they are it creates more attention because people will unconsciously notice something is "wrong"). And your Ping costume is epic.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

Aww, thank you, Kelley! You're too kind

And I'll definitely do a test-run if I end up "stuffing," although I'll try to look into athletic cups as well. Thanks again, everyone!
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
Madam Neko
Tea, Moe, Art.

Personally, I will if I am hanging out with other cosplayers I know, just for laughs.

Otherwise, not usually, unless it fits the character.
Madam Neko is offline   Reply With Quote