Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Yami Sasha
Random Negotiator

Unplugged Expo 2013! October 26-27th

It’s back for its second year! Disconnect once again for Unplugged Expo: A Weekend of Awesome! Taking place on October 26 to the 27th. And whats more, we got a new, more spacious, and sophisticated venue known as the Daniels Spectrum for it's second year! Find out more here:

http://unpluggedexpo.com/gallery/

http://unpluggedexpo.com/contact/

Currently being planned and work on well for its second year; Unplugged Expo is currently accepting suggestions for new panels and events. All suggestions are welcome. This shall be the official Unplugged Expo 2013 page and will get updated as we disclose further information. August 7th 2013: Guest Announcements:

Terri Hawkes Voice Acting Guest of Honour

Gillykins Geek Girl Cosplay Guest

Black Widow photo by: Andreas Schneider-

Lovina Yavari Geek Girl Cosplay Guest

Spider Jerusalem photo by: Digiography-

Lily Spitfire Geek Girl Cosplay Guest

Lady Thor photo by: Adley Lobo

Roxy Lee GG Geek Girl Cosplay Guest

Lady Riddler photo by: Wandering Dana of Geek Girls-

More Guest Announcements coming soon!

Keep up to date with guests, panels, and other updates! Like us on facebook

http://fb.com/unpluggedexpo Follow us on Twitter

http://twitter.com/unpluggedexpo Bookmark our webpage

http://unpluggedexpo.com

Last edited by Yami Sasha : 08-07-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Yami Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

oh yikes, same weekend as Nerdcore in Oshawa... I'm sorry, going to Nerdcore, its closer and we don't need hotels or anything for that one.
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
harudae
TOKUSENTAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgasm View Post
oh yikes, same weekend as Nerdcore in Oshawa... I'm sorry, going to Nerdcore, its closer and we don't need hotels or anything for that one.
Awe, it's the same weekend as Nerdcore? D: I've been wanting to check out Unplugged after hearing good things last year but I know alot of my friends will be going to NC (we're from UOIT/DC). "orz
Yamuraiha - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Maybe? Aoi Asahina - Dangan Ronpa
harudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harudae View Post
Awe, it's the same weekend as Nerdcore? D: I've been wanting to check out Unplugged after hearing good things last year but I know alot of my friends will be going to NC (we're from UOIT/DC). "orz
yeah us too, its quite sad... the only thing i can picture working out is if NCs venue decides they don't want to use the dates and they do it a week earlier or something...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Yami Sasha
Random Negotiator

Well it's now updated with it's new info and updated datedate
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
animevortex

Confirmed Guests of Honour

We'd like to announce our first guests for Unplugged A Weekend of Awesome 2!

Voice Actress Guest of Honour Stephanie Morgenstern Voice of Sailor Venus

Performances by the Improv Comedy Group The 404s

Appearances by Canadian Retro Video Game & Anime Collecting Show Charge Back Forward

Canadian Video Game Review Show 3_Killa_Bytes

Keep up to date with guests, panels, and other updates!

Like us on facebook http://fb.com/unpluggedexpo

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/unpluggedexpo

Bookmark our webpage http://unpluggedexpo.com

More to come!
animevortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
animevortex

Challenge time!

With Anime North over, its VERY strange that we didn't see any Hadoken photos / Masenko Photos! Challenge time!

With Summer here, its a great time to do a Hadoken photo with a friend or a bunch of friends! So Who can do the best Hadoken Photo?

Post a photo of yourself and tag Unplugged Expo we'll be giving away 2 weekend passes to unplugged to the BEST photos we see!

Remember Be creative and show us what you can do!

https://twitter.com/SandboxPromo/sta...617536/photo/1
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
animevortex

Unplugged Guests Update

Just a few updates on our Guests for Unplugged A Weekend of Awesome 2!

Mai-Sheri

Cosplay Guest of Honor

Mai Sheri (sometimes known as Calico) has been active in the Toronto cosplay community since she first attended Anime North in 2004, where she discovered that her love for making elaborate Halloween costumes could eventually evolve into a full-time hobby.

She has won many masquerade awards, including “Best Master Workmanship”, “Best In Show Workmanship”, “Best Performance”, and “Best In Show” at various Ontario conventions, as well as “Best In Class Workmanship” and “Best In Class Presentation” at Worldcon.

Kurt Lehner

Animation Guest of Honour

Kurt Lehner Is a Canadian Illustrator & Animation Artist. He was born In Toronto, Ontario, & ever since his childhood, has had an absolute passion for Comic Book & Fantasy Art. A graduate from the Ontario College of Art & Design in Toronto, his career started In Advertising. Working for such companies as TDF, ADS & J. Welter Thompson, he soon found his path Into the Animation Industry. Through his talents, he has worked on projects for such companies as Walt Disney. Warner Bros. Marvel, Dreamworks. Nelvana Studios & many more…

He is best know as Senior Character Designer & Development Artist on famous shows like Disney's Gargoyles, The Rescue Heroes, All Dogs Go To Heaven 2, Space Jam, W.I.L.D. Cats, Cadillac’s and Dinosaurs, Beauty and the Beast ~ The Enchanted Christmas.

Susan Roman

Guest of Honor Sailor Jupiter

Ms. Roman has the distinction of being the only voice actress of the original five Sailor Senshi (Lita Kino / Sailor Jupiter) voice to stay on in the role for the entirety of the DiC/Cloverway English dub of the series. She is also known as Angel from the increasingly popular “Rock ‘n Rule” series.

You can also catch her voice in such series as Bakugan, Beyblade, Medabots, Medarot Damashii, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (Hannah Dundee), Heavy Metal, Strawberry Shortcake Meets the Berry Princess (Berry Princess), Miss BG (BG’s mom), A Miser Brother’s Christmas (Tinsel Elf), Barbie as the Island Princess (Tika), Little People (Eddie/Sara Lynn), Thomas and the Magic Railroad (James the Tank Engine), and even in The Adventures of Tin Tin as Snowy the dog.

Susan lets us know about her appearance here:

http://youtu.be/Fmuj-D-5Tvc

Jason Kaplan

Video game Designer

Jason P. Kaplan is a game developer, designer, founder and organizer of the Game Prototype Challenge. He values fun and in-depth games, he also enjoys helping people learn how to make games.

More Announcements to come!
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
animevortex

Guest Announcements!

Katie Griffin
Voice Acting Guest of Honor

Toronto native, Katie Griffin, has been a professional actor, voice actor, and singer for over 20 years. Having worked with acting powerhouses such as Nicole Kidman, Glenn Close, Matt Dillon, and Rob Lowe, Katie's film and television career has been colourful to say the least.

Best known as Raye/Sailor Mars on the hit show "Sailor Moon", she's also known for her portrayal of "Alex" on "Totally Spies", "Yoko" on "Team Galaxy", "Zair" on "Redakai", as well as voicing "Julie" and "Sellon" on "Bakugan Battle Brawlers", and "Hikaru" on "Beyblade". She was also "Nina Harper" on Emmy award winning "Braceface", "Ruby" on "Max and Ruby", and "Laugh-a-lot Bear" in "Care Bears: Journey to Joke-a-lot". She has also had numerous guest starring roles on shows such as "6-teen", "Stoked", and "The Dating Guy".

VickyBunnyAngel
Cosplay Guest of Honor

Back by popular demand!

Vickybunnyangel Cosplay will once again grace us with her presence!

Unplugged is honoured to welcome VickyBunnyAngel back for another weekend of awesome!

Be sure to check out her facebook!

Ricky Lima
Comic Book Guest

Unplugged Expo Welcomes Canadian Comic Book Writer and Co-Creator of the popular comic book series "Black Hole Hunters Club" Ricky Lima

Ricky Lima is a Comic Writer based in the GTA. He's currently self publishing the comic series Black Hole Hunters Club and Deep Sea. He's also deep into research on how to make you smile.

Come and meet Ricky as he discusses his writing, and what the future holds for this dynamic Duo!

Shane Heron
Comic Book Guest

Unplugged Expo Welcomes Canadian Comic Book Artist Shane Heron to the Daniels Spectrum Center this fall!

Shane Heron was born and raised in Toronto, Canada and has worked in comics since 2007. His projects include his own creation 'The Almighty', Joel Buxton's 'Awesome Marcus Ninja', Fearless Fred Kennedy's 'Mike Gorbsmith: The Only Attractive Russian Ever' and the current smash hit 'The Black Hole Hunters Club' that was co-created with Ricky Lima.

Come and meet Shane as he discusses his career in Comic Books, and what the future holds for this dynamic Duo!
Unread 08-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
animevortex

VO Terri Hawkes - Sailor Moon Guest of Honour

A few VERY exciting Announcements!

http://youtu.be/fd4-IdHgPto

Terri Hawkes Voice Acting Guest of Honour
In the 80′s, Ms. Hawkes played Baby Hugs and Shrieky in the original Care Bears series. In 1990, she played Wendy Masters on the soap opera, “General Hospital.”

Soon after, she was cast as the second voice actress to play Serena / Sailor Moon in the DiC dub of the series. Her episodes began around Neflite’s start and continued until the end of Sailor Moon ‘R’ and also through the 3 movies.

Post Sailor Moon, she played Franny on the Canadian/Australian co-production: “John Callahan’s Quads.” Quads can still be seen periodically on Teletoon late-night. She also starred in another YTV series called “Flying Rhino Junior High,” both as Lydia and acting as the Voice Director. She is also well known as the voice of the lead in “Princess Sissi.”

Biography supplied by AnimeCons.ca

Gillykins Geek Girl Cosplay Guest
Gillian aka. Gillykins has been cosplaying since 2005 and specializes in Superhero Costuming. She is an International Master cosplayer with numerous awards under her belt. An admitted superhero addict, she is best known for her work with different stretch fabrics. You can follow her super-shenanigans at facebook.com/Gillykins.cosplay

Black Widow photo by:
Andreas Schneider-

Lovina Yavari Geek Girl Cosplay Guest

“Lovina Yavari is an actress, published comic book artist/inker, and a published model. Her dream is to become a regular in a sci fi television series. She attends a handful of comic book conventions a year, either as a guest, booth babe, panelist, or emcee for masquerades. She also designs and makes her own costumes for her photo shoots. Her work is heavily based in the Science Fiction, Anime, Horror, and Fantasy genre.”

Spider Jerusalem photo by:
Digiography-

Lily Spitfire Geek Girl Cosplay Guest

Lily is based out of Guelph, Ontario. She has been cosplaying for just over 5 years as well as working with Geek Girls for over a year. Her costume resume spans comics, gaming, sci-fi and horror, but she’s a sucker for spandex. Her specialties include prop making and wig styling.

Lady Thor photo by:
Adley Lobo

Roxy Lee GG Geek Girl Cosplay Guest

Roxy Lee has been cosplaying just under 3 years now and although being one of the newer girls to this community she has dived right into it head first. Roxy works as a Special FX makeup artist so she always tries to add a certain makeup effect into all of her costumes. Her love for movies, especially classic 80′s cult films has made her somewhat of a movie buff and collector over the years. Roxy loves doing more villains that superheros when it comes to costumes and is always up for a crossplay challenge. She loves being an admin and model for GeekxGirls and cannot WAIT for what the future holds for them! Check her out on FB as she loves chatting there: https://www.facebook.com/GeekGirlRoxy and also check out my YouTube channel where I add cosplay spotlights, makeup videos and all around shinnanigans: http://www.youtube.com/user/MarilynMonRolePlayin.Stay shiny!”

Lady Riddler photo by:
Wandering Dana of Geek Girls-

More Guest Announcements coming soon!

Last edited by animevortex : 08-07-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I was wondering from Dundas Square (Bay and Dundas) what the best route to take to get to this new location. I will consider coming down for the day.

I know that there is a TTC 505 Dundas Eastbound but the closest stop is to DUNDAS at PARLIAMENT from what I can tell.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
Yami Sasha
Random Negotiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
I was wondering from Dundas Square (Bay and Dundas) what the best route to take to get to this new location. I will consider coming down for the day.

I know that there is a TTC 505 Dundas Eastbound but the closest stop is to DUNDAS at PARLIAMENT from what I can tell.
Taking the Dundas 505 Streetcar East should take you to the location which yes Parliament would the closest place to get off as I understand. From there you would just take a short walk east to get there.

An alternate route is to take the 65 from Castlefrank station which heads through Parliament street and get off at Dundas and take a short walk east on Dundas to get there.

Hope that helps.
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #13
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

So Unplugged has provided me with a pair of weekend tickets to give away to one lucky fan! All you have to do to enter is comment on my YouTube video about the con (or facebook post or twitter or blog...) So if Unplugged seems like something you would like to check out, drop me a line and share the video!
Drawing will take place on Monday September 2
Unread 10-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
aquamista

I'm new..

Hello! I'm new to Toronto's anime conventions and this is probably the first con I'm planning to go to. Can you please tell me how it works here? I moved recently from Philippines and it's really easy there so it's going to be tough to adjust.. Can someone please answer my questions?

> Is there a changing room or a bathroom in the venue I can change in or should I wear my costume from home? (I live in Don Mills area)
> Is the line and venue going to be very long/crowded? (I need to know what to expect.)
> Is it unusual to have coscards (like a business card for cosplayers) to hand out to people who take pictures of me? (It's pretty common in Asia, to let people know who to tag and who to credit when they upload the pictures.)
> Are there anything I should know not to do when in the venue?

If there's also anyone that's willing to let this newbie follow you around, I'd be ever-so-grateful! I will be alone so it'll be lonely.
aquamista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamista View Post
Hello! I'm new to Toronto's anime conventions and this is probably the first con I'm planning to go to. Can you please tell me how it works here? I moved recently from Philippines and it's really easy there so it's going to be tough to adjust.. Can someone please answer my questions?

> Is there a changing room or a bathroom in the venue I can change in or should I wear my costume from home? (I live in Don Mills area)
> Is the line and venue going to be very long/crowded? (I need to know what to expect.)
> Is it unusual to have coscards (like a business card for cosplayers) to hand out to people who take pictures of me? (It's pretty common in Asia, to let people know who to tag and who to credit when they upload the pictures.)
> Are there anything I should know not to do when in the venue?

If there's also anyone that's willing to let this newbie follow you around, I'd be ever-so-grateful! I will be alone so it'll be lonely.
I have not participated in this con before but I can give you general advise.

Cons will have bathrooms, but no, cons don't have actual changerooms. I see many people wear their costumes on public transits because of this.

I can't speak to the line situation as an expert but I doubt the lines will be long. it is a smaller convention.

Cosplay cards are normal in my experience...especially photographers who take your picture