Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
the.footpad

Bioshock Infinite Booker Dewitt

Well, I've finally finished it! It took long enough to get the makeup and everything correct but it's finally done! I guess i should explain a bit first. This Character actually has been drawn and animated in different ways and by different artist. Therefore, there actually isn't a true "exact" look to him. The most different thing about each picture that has been released is that sometimes he wears black pants, while other times they're striped. (I stuck with pants that were black with a different shade of black stripe on them... they are vintage, so in the pictures the stripes are somewhat faded and hard to see). Also, some times the vest has a unique pattern on the collar while at other times it doesn't; sometimes its just a green double breasted vest. Also, originally i thought his shoulder holster had 3 ammo cartridges on it... luckily before i bought one, i found out i hadn't looked at the picture well enough and it was only two.
anyway here are all the reference shots i used. http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...r_featured.jpg
http://media.officialplaystationmaga...0017078450.jpg
http://www.unfinishedman.com/wp-cont...and-booker.jpg
and here i am in the costume

and i know black and white isn't really something everyone loves, but here is one anyway...
the.footpad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
KaienCross

Very accurate and very good! Only thing I would say would be your hair. You should ruff it up a bit like the pictures Use a bit hairspray to keep it there if that becomes a problem. But aye its really good :')

Will do commissions if anyone is interested...
KaienCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
the.footpad

^I didn't even notice that until you just said it! That is something i should! Very easy fix too !
And thank you by the way!
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Hehe. Mausers always remind me of the DL-44 (Han Solo's blaster). :P Makes you look like a Western version of Han Solo. :P

My only critique is that you need to weather it. You have done awesome work, but Bioshock is a very grimy game. You look like he's just walked out of a store after buying a new outfit. Have a good ol' Google of how to weather and distress leather, as your holster is just too shiny.
Weathering doesn't have to be really hardcore and over the top, but it's the finishing piece to a costume that really does make all the difference. He'll have marks on his vest from where the holster sits and rubs especially. I can see the weathering on the ascot and collar, which look great because they're both parts that would build up a lot of grime.
Also think of things such as the hem of the pants, even the inside ankle area where the shoes might scuff against each other under the hem, grubby hands going into pockets, grime on the knees if he's a kneeler.

Excellent work!
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Oh, also the only other thing I'd suggest is you need to take an iron and some starch to your vest, to help the lining and lapel sit flat on it.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
the.footpad

Wow, y'know one thing i am really thankful for is that all the critiques i shall make to this are relatively simple and fast things to do!
Thanks for the great feedback as well! I appreciate it
P.S- The suit makes me feel like a Western Han Solo as well! But the character is actually kind of that way anyway
Unread 04-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
Edwardfett

Where did you get the holster? I am looking EVERYWHERE for a cheap one, but full leather ones cost WAAAY too much! Links please
Edwardfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Midnight Dawn

It's looks pretty accurate and I certainly wasn't expecting anyone to be doing Booker this early with the game just coming out. So extra brownie points for that.

Outfit wise everything is pretty spot on. But for the vest, I'm not really sure how the phrase it. But when I think early 1900's, I'm thinking duller colors and more ragged looking. Of course that's just what I think.

Otherwise awesome cosplay.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
squ1sh

Looks good! I'm doing one myself. Well, I'm gathering materials online and scouting out things.
A proper leather shoulder holster costs a pretty penny. I might bite the bullet (hehehehehe /sad trombone) and just buy one. I'm dead set on getting this costume working.
squ1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
Sanda
SH obsessed.

It looks great I think the suggestions are probably the only things I could come up with. If you don't want to dirty it up I think that's pretty cannon too...Elizabeth's clothes get dirtier as the game goes on, but in the beginning hers are pristine. So I'd say that's a personal choice because it isn't exactly inaccurate to have it looking crisp. I imagine he was pretty sharp looking when he first got to Columbia...

Really nice work
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #11
Suntory_Times
re fanatic

Very nice, the one thing that stands out as possibly something that could be changed is the jeans. He wears more suite like pants with stripes.
Suntory_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
emmisu
King of Toast

The pinstripe pants would add accuracy, but I don't know that they look better. That's up to you.

The only thing I'd say makes it look more costume than reality is that it's incredibly clean.
I'd say, some roughed up hairsprayed hair and maybe rough up your garments a bit (just some dirt or run sandpaper over some parts) would really help this to look authentic.

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Suntory_Times
re fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmisu View Post
The pinstripe pants would add accuracy, but I don't know that they look better. That's up to you.

The only thing I'd say makes it look more costume than reality is that it's incredibly clean.
I'd say, some roughed up hairsprayed hair and maybe rough up your garments a bit (just some dirt or run sandpaper over some parts) would really help this to look authentic.
Hmm, i'm not sure, he would have been fairly pristine at the start, but given he has a bandage on I would agree. You could ruff up the costume a bit and maybe put some fake blood on the hand bandage.

edit: I just replayed the ending (which really is a mess in both execution, from the point of game mechanics and thematically), but my point is you can see Booker at the end and his clothes are still pristine, so roughing them up isn't necessary unless one thinks it will look better as a result. The only other thing I think I could add is his bandage isn't white. But that is a small probably insignificant detail.

Last edited by Suntory_Times : 04-17-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Suntory_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #14
ADAM+EVE
Awesome

i would add the gold detail on the red "pouchy" thing on your jacket. Such gorgeous game design should not go not captured! But it is really fantastic and I agree with roughing up the texture of the fabric and hair a bit.
ADAM+EVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
the.footpad

Thanks for the suggestions! I actually waited until the game came out and then judged my costume next to that. Luckily, I believe that because of my cosplay that Booker's in game look was actualy somewhat changed to match my facial features. Now, that is somewhat of a rumor, but it's one that's actually pretty widespread...Here is the pictures I have now based my costume on.http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...35/Diary_1.png http://images.wikia.com/bioshock/ima...#37;285%29.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/bioshock/ima...rtyrPoster.png
http://thefree3dmodels.com/_sf/53/10861434.jpg (the lighting in this pic makes his vest look more blue, along with his eyes, when really they are both more of a greenish grey)
And here is my improved costly:

And yes, the pants I'm wearing are pinstriped.