Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 03-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
MDA
Destiny Productions

Adding Something for Personal Comfort/Support

So, this is a judging question. A friend of mine told me it should be fine because of my body type, but I wanted to run it by here.

For Anime North in May I am cosplaying Ultimecia from Final Fantasy VIII/Dissidia with a group, but am entering the masquerade on my own in Journeyman.

http://i2.listal.com/image/397162/60...tasy-photo.jpg

As you see from the reference picture, she has a very open dress. And this is where my problem has arisen.

I am quite busty. And before you tell me "skin tape", frontless bras, or going braless. These are not options. "Skin tape" only goes as big as a C. I'm past that. Frontless bras are also only to a C. And braless... tested... Looks terrible! And it's not worth risking it.

So I'm opting to make a custom fleshtone top for Ultimecia so that I can be supported and still do the character some justice.

Because of this, will judges take away from the workmanship because I've lost accuracy due to this? Or will judges take this personal issue into account?

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

They shouldn't. I can't speak to Anime North in particular because I don't know who they use for judges, but I know the organizers and know they've got a good balanced approach to costuming. Basically, the point of accuracy is not to reproduce the body of the character itself, but the costume that goes on top of the skin. Wearing fleshtoned shirts to smooth out your figure or hide foundation garments is something that good costumers - and good judges - will be aware is a common practice. A necessity, even, for some. It doesn't make you inaccurate to be wearing a fleshtoned shirt, it's simply a trick of the stage that goes back decades and we all know about.

Now, adding a skin-tight shirt of a different color, a glaringly obvious color, is something that would be a little harder to justify to a judge. We usually understand and accept changes made for modesty or comfort, in a general sense, as long as we're informed of the reason for the change and the change itself is reasonable and doesn't detract from the overall look of the costume. A colored shirt would be a large change to the costume itself - not the body, but the costume. But a fleshtone shirt is a different story. It fits in the category with undergarments, and is a very obvious attempt at maintaining the costume's integrity and silhouette while still consciously protecting your modesty. That is completely understandable.

Just inform the judges, and who knows? Maybe if you make it yourself and are really proud of the stitching and fit on it, you might want to get it judged too. You don't have to ask them to consider it, though, it could be considered part of your underpinnings. Don't worry, we don't sit around with a checklist going "hm, doesn't have that, that's a point off, also missing this, that's another point off, and oh look, a fleshtone shirt instead of bare skin, that's totally a point off." That's not how it works. We tend to score based on an overall judgment of the appearance as well as the attention to actual details. I'd be more likely to mark down someone's accuracy for, say, putting the wrong number of stripes on a sleeve - something that's an obvious part of the character design and hard to miss. Taking what should be a zipper and just stitching down a line of trim. Four buttons instead of six on a double-breasted suit. THAT is accuracy-fail. Modesty shirts or panels? Nope, that's a different story, and acceptable.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
MDA
Destiny Productions

Thank you very much! I was so worried about it.

Yeah I know Kaijugal and Sarcasm-Hime Kaijugal is the one I asked about it initially. I wanted second opinions to see what others had to say about this matter.

Again thank you! Your input has been most helpful

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
They shouldn't. I can't speak to Anime North in particular because I don't know who they use for judges, but I know the organizers and know they've got a good balanced approach to costuming.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, and you're reply was amazing as usual. ^_^ I did say, "just explain any changes made to account for real world body + gravity". You're right, we fully support that as a policy.

Cheers!
~Kaiju

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote