Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 03-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
Chryso

Smile Faces!

Faces! I didnít see a thread on faces (pardon me if it exists) so I thought I would be great to start a thread to gather resources, experiences, techniques and tips for both mtf and ftm crossplay faces. People are drawn immediately to faces so of course getting it right is going to play a huge role in crossplaying!

Let me start with my favourite introduction on major differences. This one is on mtf but it is interesting just to look at comparisons visually. Some of the actual techniques suggested will be more extreme than "casual" crossplayers would choose, but itís great read for a beginner to start recognising what makes a face feminine and what makes a face masculine. http://feminizationsecrets.com/trans...-feminization/
This is also a wonderful resource that goes into a lot of detail (once again, mtf, but the comparison is good reading) http://www.virtualffs.co.uk/My_Facia...y_Feature.html

Please share your tips, resources and experiences What do you do to help make your face more convincing?

And hereís a side by side comparison of me as Rufio and me as Cho Chang for you to ponder
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...32751586_n.jpg
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

Those were great reads! I will definitely keep them in mind for my next attempt at crossplay makeup.

I personally have a very androgynous face which makes up for my lack of skill with makeup, but for FtM, I usually do the usual:
-bronzer under cheekbones to make them more pronounced (although the article says that women tend to have more prominent cheekbones? Emphasizing cheekbones seems to be like FtM 101 though in all the tutorials I've read)
-bronzer along the jawline
-filling in the eyebrows (mine are already pretty bushy and low)
-elongating the nose by brightening the center and using a darker shade lateral to the center line.

One thing I like to do in addition is to "create" an Adam's apple by finding the most prominent point of my voicebox/throat area and then contouring the sides and bottom of it to make it stand out more.

In addition, for FtM crossplay, a lot of people recommend using a nude lipstick. I've found this tends to be too thick to give a realistic effect. Instead, I'll put on chapstick, powder my lips with a bit of foundation, and then blot it with some tissue. This tends to tone down the natural redness of the lips without overdoing it, because men have color in their lips too!

All my FtM tutorials are currently saved as jpegs but I will try to find the original sources to post here. I ended up using a few tips from each one for my current crossplay routine, but I am always looking for new things to learn!
PurePlummet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Akune-chan

This is amazing!
This should be a sticky!
Hopefully more people will post their tricks. :3
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

Here are some pretty good tutorials that I like looking at for reference every now and then.

Tutorial by Stealthos-Aurion

Tutorial by Kittyspit

Last one was found by Chryso; see below!

It's fun to compare similarities between the different tutorials to figure out what tends to work for everyone, and then experiment with the not-so-common tricks to see what works for you as an individual

Last edited by PurePlummet : 04-01-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

So far I've had the most success with MKToxic's Manly Makeup tutorial. It gives you great basic contouring tips.

That one of Kittyspit's looks like it may have some additional useful tips. Like how to put on a fake moustache! My Freddie would have looked so much better if I had known that.

Working on:
First Doctor Bathing Suit, The Doctor, Dawn, Shigure Sohma, GIR, Science Officer [DS9]

Eventually:
Science Officer [TNG], Science Officer [FC], Pirogoeth (D&D oc), The Dude (on The Grid)
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #6
Chryso

Well, here's my summary of what I do for Rufio. Obviously being Asian means some differences, but hope it helps someone out there. They say we Asians have it a lot easier when it comes to crossplay and I'm not complaining
I'm still learning. I always just see me, but friends say I pull it off so that must mean something.
This is the outfit I am discussing: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3348893/
-Eyes: the hallmark of "feminine beauty" is wide/large innocent eyes that are somewhat slanted/catlike (especially for Asians). I naturally have small eyes, so for me I just leave them alone. A tiny bit of shading in the outer corners of the eyes to help make them more horizontal would help.
-Eyebrows: I never cease to be amazed by how much eyebrows shape a face! Generally, women pluck their eyebrows; men do not. I know a lot of girls may not have the time for this kind of commitment, but since I can, I grow my eyebrows until they lose their arches and become rather thick. It does SO much for making a face more masculine. (You just have to put up with having bushy caterpillars for eyebrows in everyday life)
-Lips: There was a well known study that made the rounds on the internet about how we naturally associate feminity with contrast in a face. So the less contrast the better - neutral colours. I just apply my foundation to my lips then gently blot it out to tone down the natural contrast. Very shiny lips are also feminine so don't touch the lip gloss or shiny lipstick.
-Complexion: Asian society has this fascination with whiteness (in the same way western society favours a tanned complexion). They find particular beauty in women who are flawlessly white. So for me, I tan the heck up - luckily I do this very readily (it takes me years to lose it though; three years of staying out of the sun, was a relief to let myself tan again). Then I use different shades of dark foundation/bronzer/face paint to generate an uneven complexion, and of course a smear of dirt here and there does much for a Lost Boy
-Jawline: Making more contrast along the jawline to emphasise it helps; I don't need to do this with makeup personally, but I found that posing in certain ways makes the angle of my jaw more prominent, and also lengthens my chin.
-Facial hair: This character doesn't have facial hair, but I still find that the faintest shadow of it makes people really question if you actually shaved to get in character, and helps trick the eye.
-Hair: I know most people don't have the time or commitment for this, but I personally get my hair cut. It helps to befriend a hairdresser who is fascinated by cosplay. She cuts my hair to a suitable boyish style. This means I'm stuck with it in public, but it doesn't bother me.
-Attitude: There are differences in the way girls generally pose for photos compared to boys. A sweet smile and head tilt are characteristically feminine; boys tend face the camera directly. See what fits for your character. Where possible I'll either smirk, grin like an idiot, or look suitably unimpressed.
It's a basic write up but hope it gives someone some ideas.

I've recently been experimenting with Caucasian mtf so will post those experiences next.
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
Chryso

PurePlummet and Pirogoeth those were great! I found another fantastic one by following some related links: http://sock-monkey-renegade.devianta...rial-208360508
Keep them coming
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

Ah, sock-monkey-renegade's was the one that wasn't working for me. Thanks Chryso!
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
Kelley
Devil of Details

My old stuff.

http://amforsythe.deviantart.com/art...keup-122949969
http://amforsythe.deviantart.com/art...keup-122949342

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...leyPC/girl.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...lleyPC/guy.jpg

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

I guess I will post here. xP

So can anyone help guide me step by step on Naruto Uzumaki makeup?
I really want to pull him off, had not had much luck trying to pull off the boyish look.
Here is a reference:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/620...maki400fm3.jpg

I have a girlish face.. Will do anything to get the boyish look. >n<
Videos would be very helpful too, I am so n00b to crossplaying.
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #11
Kelley
Devil of Details

^ Read some of the information in this thread, try some makeup and post pictures for people to critique. I think that is how you will get the best help the fastest.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:41 AM   #12
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

Thanks !
I will get to that. (:
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #13
Axew

Thank you! I've always had more of a baby face/feminine look so it's very difficult to even take the edge off to act as a foundation for the masculinity I'm trying to achieve. Thank you once again, I'll have to bookmark those pages.
Axew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
Chryso

Having a little fun tonight (and last night), I decided to do a side by side comparison of myself.
Sorry for awful phone quality - I was just having fun!

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/Chrys...cross.jpg.html

Run without rivals

Last edited by Chryso : 06-25-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Yazoo_the_Kazoo
Allons-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryso View Post
PurePlummet and Pirogoeth those were great! I found another fantastic one by following some related links: http://sock-monkey-renegade.devianta...rial-208360508
Keep them coming
Hey! That's mine! Awesome!

Haven't been on this site in months, but anyways, that tutorial is about two years old, and I've made a few others since then, and am working on one more.

This one details a very specific character, Castiel from SPN, but it also goes into detail on how to create eyeshadow stubble that doesn't overpower your face, so it may be helpful for some of you.

This one is about the theory behind contouring based on changing certain features of your facial structure to change your face to imitate a character's. It's the first part. I'm currently making the second.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space...I'm a LOONY for God's sake!"

-tumblr-
-DeviantART-

Last edited by Yazoo_the_Kazoo : 06-29-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Yazoo_the_Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote