Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Tofu Delivery

Whole lot of questions about face complexion

I wanted to ask suggestions on two different things:

What can I do for smile lines? I have very prominent ones around my face.

What can I do about black rings around my eyes other than sleep early? I'm working with this as we speak.

What could I use to give my face/skin more shine in general?

I wanted to use something natural if possible due to skin irritations but for the black rings I could try to use makeup/concealer. I'm trying to do all of this within a month or so.
Tofu Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Pinky-peach corrector for the circles, brightening concealer for the lines. I don't understand what kind of face shine you're referring to...
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Zombie Jill

Adding on to what PSY-chan said, if your 'smile lines' are actual wrinkles, you can only do so much- but brightening any darkness around the mouth can help!

You can use illuminizing primers and products to add a healthy glow/shine to the face, a dewy-finish foundation, or use a highlighter (a light-reflective product of any kind... An eyeshadow, a creme product, whatever) on the high points of the face where you want to catch light. Such as the tops of your cheekbones, the cupid's bow, ect.

Unrelated to makeup, proper skincare can also help brighten and liven up your complexion but if your skin isn't shiny, it can be difficult to force it to be without makeup.
Zombie Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

For under eye circles I use lemons and baking soda.. I used to have them but not anymore. ^^ It really does the trick.. Just do it for a few days until they are gone. However, you WILL have to keep this up if you are one that doesn't get much sleep.. So that is the semi-permanent solution.
After that, as others have mentioned, highlighting under the eyes will work. Apply it to the dark areas on your face.. It will help even it out. (:
It really does make the difference, especially in cosplay.
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Indefatigable
a.k.a. Boreotheria

My best friend bought an undereye-circle-concealing pencil at Sephora. It's just a pinkish soft powder pencil that you draw on like eyeshadow, but under the eye and in the corner of the eye by the nose. She got it with her wedding makeup and it worked really well. I think the brand was Stila, but I can't be sure, this was a few years ago. But if you go to someplace like Sephora and ask, they'll be able to find you a similar product.

I just use a pale pink/peach eyeshadow. It's from Smashbox and it's called Credit, but I think it's discontinued now. Again, ask at a good makeup shop and they can help you find something to match your skin colour. I use a smooth, flat brush that I think was sold as a blush detailer, and I just dab it on under my eyes until the colour evens out.
Indefatigable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

I forgot to mention Cucumbers.. Those work very well.. ^^
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Tofu Delivery

Thanks for the advice so far!

Sorry if I wasn't clear; when I mean 'smile lines,' I mean something like this:

When I smile I get lines that stay on my face and are really obvious.

Also when I mean "more shine," I mean that my skin complexion is sort of lackluster and lacking color. I wanted to make my skin more healthy and active looking since I have a dark complexion.
Tofu Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Well. For the lines you can use a highlighting corrector/concealer, such as Clinique Airbrush Concealer or Milani HD Concealer. If you're skin is dark and "lackluster" you may want to add some highlights and blush. There are lots of tutorials for women of color on YouTube. Another option is to use a dewy foundation such as Revlon Photo Ready, L'Oreal Lumi, or set your makeup with a luminescent powder.
Here's a great correcting tutorial. Her tutorials are great, so feel free to check out more of them. Hope some of this advice helps!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Xaila
*hoardes makeup forever*

Well if you're skin is 'lackluster' you might wanna begin from the inside out first. Water! Drink more of it and it'll help with putting some moisture in your skin. Also using a good moisturizer on your face as well as the occasional exfoliation to help brighten your skin up too.

Make-up wise, I like using the following to brighten up my face: bronzer and a blush with an orange tint (or just orange) to it verses the more traditional rosy blush. Both the bronzer and blush I use are from Coastal Scents, their Sunkissed bronzer in Dark and their Blush Too palette. The latter has ten different creamy and richly pigmented blushes, from lavender to hot hot orange.

The orange help brighten up the skin, as well as the bronzer too, to give you a healthy glow. I'd also avoid most normal matte foundations and just use tinted moisturizers,
Xaila is offline   Reply With Quote