Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 04-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Wearing chakras for cosplay

A bunch of my friends and I are intended on cosplaying from Saiyuki for a few upcoming cons. The problem is that Genjo Sanzo, Konzen Douji, and Taishou Kenren all have marks on their foreheads. The comic specifies that Sanzo's and Konzen's marks are a red chakra. Kenren's looks like it may be a tattoo.

However, I know there is a lot of controversy about wearing chakra when in a cosplay setting. Can anyone:
1. Offer up a decent way of applying a chakra like Sanzo's or Konzen's, and making sure it stays on?
2. Explain if there are any complications or situations that we should be aware of?
3. Tell me if there's something that we could potentially mess up and make people highly offended?
4. Offer an opinion on whether or not Kenren's mark is a tattoo or a chakra?
5. If it is a tattoo, would something like AA make up or Ben Nye be more practical to stay on a forehead?

Thank you so much in advance to anyone willing to help out in this matter. Sorry if this isn't the right section of the forum to ask these questions!

Reference:
Sanzo: http://www.zerochan.net/74103#full
Konzen: (There's illustrated blood in this picture, just a heads up) http://www.renders-graphiques.fr/ima...n_01_petit.png
Kenren: http://download.minitokyo.net/Kenren.Taishou.361329.jpg

In-Progress Cosplay
Sha Gojyo - Saiyuki Reload - 90%
Agent York - Red vs Blue - 5%
Oki - Okami - 10%
Kenren Taishou - Saiyuki Gaiden - 5%

What Cosplay? | The Bet Is Off

Last edited by ametheneko : 04-17-2013 at 06:00 PM.
ametheneko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Just as a heads up, your Sanzo ref doesn't work.

And Kenren, to me looks more like a tattoo. You could use tattoo paper to make it to save the hassle for having to draw it everytime.

As for controversies...I never heard of anything involving chakras. 0_o

The chakra marker on Konzen to me looks like a slightly lifted piece(it's been a while since I saw Saiyuki so I don't remember how they apply it on...) but you could always look at indian bindis. There are very simple red ones that could work and they will stick on your forehead without any trouble.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Oh thank you! I changed the link, so maybe it'll be more functional now.

Tattoo paper is an option I hadn't even thought of! That'd probably solve a lot of that problem. Thank you so much! My only question is if it would stay on a forehead? It's such an oil-high area that I can't help but wonder?

I was looking into Bindis, but the more I looked into them, the more I found that people got upset when they were used outside of religious atmospheres. It may have just been the sources that I was looking at, but since I'm not the one doing Sanzo, I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be an issue for my friend.

I'm just curious if anyone knows if wearing something like a Bindi would be acceptable in this situation?

Thank you so much though!

In-Progress Cosplay
Oki - Okami - 10%

Unread 04-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I think these are actually called Bindis.

And while I don't see anything offensive in it as a costume (or as a style statement honestly),I am not Hindu nor am I of Indian decent, and thus can't really say. However I have seen some people who take extreme offence at non-Hindus wearing Bindis. Here's a good source.

Just be careful. You don't want people like going after you. (Though I do suggest reading her links, if you want to know more)

As I said. I can't say if you should or shouldn't wear one. I just wanted to make sure you made an informed decision. (:

Edit: Ooops took to long to write my response. ^^'
Oh well. That's my 2 cents on it.
(also I agree that the third Character just looks like a tattoo, so that should be cool. (: )
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
And while I don't see anything offensive in it as a costume (or as a style statement honestly),I am not Hindu nor am I of Indian decent, and thus can't really say. However I have seen some people who take extreme offence at non-Hindus wearing Bindis. Here's a good source.

Just be careful. You don't want people like going after you. (Though I do suggest reading her links, if you want to know more)

I actually think that second link is the blog I was looking at initially to see how wearing it would be received.

If it wasn't a central, important part of Sanzo's costume (he's a priest with the honor of wearing a red mark on his forehead, and it's a bit of a plot point occasionally), I'd say we could skip it, but in this case, it seems pretty important. However, if it's a problem to wear one, then it would most likely be a problem to do anything similar to it, which means painting one on or using AA instead of traditional Bindi applications would still probably be just as offensive.

Hm. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. It seems like a lose/lose situation, in all honesty: wear one, offend people, and get hate mail or don't wear one and do a seldom-cosplayed character without a very important aspect of his costume...

Sort of dead end, really, unless someone has some other information, I'm not entirely sure what to do.

Thank you so much for your answers so far, though!!

In-Progress Cosplay
Oki - Okami - 10%

Unread 04-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
touchmon
Make All The Things!

As I was raised in a Hindu family, I guess I can offer my two cents on the topic. Due to the costume itself, a monk it shouldn't be offensive at all. It makes sense in terms of the costume. Those blogs that were linked(I did a quick skim) seem to focus on girls who wear it with Western clothes and culture.

Since it is being done with a costume where a bindi would be approiate I don't see anyone taking offense. If they do, you could easily take it off if you feel uncomfortable.

Quote:

Unread 04-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Thank you so much! That's fantastic information to have. I'm going to assume that no mater what we do, someone on Tumblr is going to be offended, but as long as the vast majority of people won't have a problem with it, then we're okay. I can understand where it'd be upsetting when done in a text like the ones those bloggers address, but so long as you say it's acceptable, then I think we'll go ahead.

Thank you so incredibly much!

In-Progress Cosplay
Oki - Okami - 10%

Unread 04-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
touchmon
Make All The Things!

No problem.

Haha, I came back to my room all set to write up a long post about the subject(the before post was quickly written on my phone) and I guess I don't have to. XD

Also, another note to add. Since there are different "clans"(I don't really know what else to call it) that Hindus break up into, people from one "clan" might find it offensive but another will not. Just for additional thought.

Quote:

Unread 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Aw haha sorry for stopping your long post! If you want, you can still post it haha.

And that's very good to know! I hope that if we make it clear that we're just wearing it because the character being portrayed has one, that will make it a bit more excusable. I definitely understand some people being more sensitive about it than others, though. As long as it's not the vast majority that would have a problem with it, then I hope it's okay?

In-Progress Cosplay
Oki - Okami - 10%

Unread 04-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
touchmon
Make All The Things!

^Yes, that will be fine. Plus most people at conventions are way more accepting than average folk.

Quote:

Unread 04-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Very true! Thank you so much!

In-Progress Cosplay
Oki - Okami - 10%