Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #226
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

This might not be the the right thread, but I have a concern.
I was working on my Jade Harley 3am dress from Homestuck, but I recently found out the con that I want to do my first masquerade at has a staff with a disdain for Homestuckers. I know judges aren't supposed to judge based on opinion of the fandom, but there's this nagging feeling inside of me telling me to not even bother as if the staff disdains Homestuck, then the judges most likely will too. I'm reconsidering entering. Should I enter or not? Any advice, please?

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #227
Mittenkitten
Feels like a winner!

I don't think that cosplay judges are going to judge harshly based on the fandom. You should enter the competition to have a good time and build up your confidence - nobody is going to boo you or bar you from entering with a costume like Jade's dress.
Most of the cosplay judges I've met don't let their personal opinions about a series interfere with their job as a masquerade judge. If you have the most impressive/well tailored costume, you should win a prize. It's that simple. The judges all have experience with fandoms of different varieties, and for the most part will judge objectively based on costume/performance. I've spoken to judges who have begrudgingly given out top honours to a costume that was from a fetish anime (the costume was tame and G rated) simply because the craftsmanship was exquisite, or conversely given out prizes to characters that they've never heard of before the masquerade because of a great performace.

Equally, if you don't win a prize then don't blame it on the judges' dislike of your fandom (as I have seen happen sometimes - it isn't pretty for anybody involved).

Regardless, I hope that you do decide to enter, and have a wonderful time at your convention!
Mittenkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #228
epicserendipity
Love the wind in my hair

You should enter anyway and give them a reason to love Homestuckers. Do your best, have fun, and own that stage because you love your fandom, not because of what others will think. As my friend would say, "Hard Work and Guts!"
epicserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #229
Mizuki Kagamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can not sew View Post
Okay, I haven't participated in a masqurade yet, and I already know several things from experiance.

Don't prepare the whole thing 11 months before the con.
Actually, It's not always bad to prepare it in 11 months or so. In my case, my friend and I are doing a Masquerade come this August and we've been planning it since after the last con. We're doing this because she lives in Reno and I in Hawaii. We are doing this because we are both very busy people and sometimes, we need to be able to get chances to practice. Same for most others. Sometimes others are way busy and need months in advance to prepare.

Choices… You've always made your own choices, haven't you.
Mizuki Kagamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #230
USS GCBlazer
Umbrella Agent: GCB-5349

I've just started thinking about this and I want to get all of your opinions on this. I was thinking of doing a fight scene from Matrix, the subway fight between Neo and the Agent, using HUNK as the Agent and Yukio Okumura from Ao no Exorcist as Neo.

What do you guys think?

In your sword, all I see is fear.
When you attack, you are afraid to cut someone.
When you defend, you are afraid of getting cut.
When you protect, you are afraid they will die.
. .
When you're attacking, think, "I will cut you".
When you're defending, think, "I won't let you hit me."
When you're protecting someone, think, "I will not let you die."
- Kisuke Urahara
USS GCBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #231
paper cosplay
going 2D in a 3D artform

mine are going to be restatments on a number of good points I've seen here
Have an idea of what your going to do on stage do not wing it or come up with the idea in the line before you get on stage. run over the idea a few times in your head, practice it, .

know your lines and movements: even if you pre record, tech can fail and you may need to go on with out your recording.

show off the cosutme to everyone: walk around the stage or at least hit the center of stage also try to hit the cornors of the stage so everyone in the adience gets a look. prefromences should showcase the costume. If you don't move in your preformance then try a little walk around before starting the skit, song whatever.

this one is more personal like for humor sketches Be creative, be suprising do somthing that people aren't going to expect save your big or unexpected punch line for the end
Unread 06-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #232
paper cosplay
going 2D in a 3D artform

new tip. You need to relize that a large part of the audience may not have see what your costume and skit are based on. I have seen a number of preformances bomb because for people to understand the skit they need to have seen the show. Currently homestuck and hetalia groups have a real tendency to fall into this trap but it happens to skits from other shows. you need to give the audience clues to the characters persinality or do something broad that the whole audience will get.
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #233
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

DO- Look for theatre tips and exercises to help adjust to a stage.

DON'T- TURN YOUR BACK TO THE AUDIENCE. This is called upstaging yourself and we can't see your beautiful face. Also Don't upstage other people by standing IN FRONT of them.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #234
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Wrong. As said several times in this topic alone, let alone other masquerade threads, the rules of the stage are not the same as a masquerade. DO show the back of your costume to the judges. Do a complete turn. Stand briefly with your back to them. Let them see the details on the back that may be as important as the details on the front.

Masquerade performances are not theatre. The rules of the theatre do not always apply. You DO want to block your performance so you aren't standing in front of other people in your group, so that everyone's costumes can be seen. DO use blocking techniques to stage people in various positions so at some point, all of them are seen from the front, back, and sides, and create diagonal lines instead of vertical or horizontal ones if you must line them up.

But. DO show your back. Masquerade is not theatre. The judges need to see all the hard work you put into the costume from all sides - and in fact, I have known many award-winning costumers who had a special reveal planned (wings, cape, and unfolding of layers, etc) that required they have their back to the audience for a time. And it was worth it, both in terms of winning and in terms of making the audience gasp in awe.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #235
Satine

Also it's a major myth that you never turn your back to the audience on stage It can be one of the most effective ways to show emotion and isolation. It's about learning the stage, finding the hot spots and cold spots and playing with them.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #236
muffinmonster
lurks in your toaster

Do prerecord. I've seen several masquerades and the skit seems much more polished and complete with the finished audio. I also have a tendency to run out of breath much faster when performing than when rehearsing. Lines don't sound the same when you're huffing for air. Also, when doing a musical skit (with both singing and dancing) it just sounds bad if you're doing both on stage.

Don't Reuse skits. If you've done it at one masquerade, don't do it again. It is so disappointing to realize that you've already seen a skit at another convention. Seriously, write a new skit.
muffinmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #237
Sharysa

Thirding the "DO turn your back sometimes."

Cosplay is very similar to acting, but it has the marked distinction of focusing extra hard on the COSTUME, not the person's face (or voice, in the case of music--and if you've pre-recorded your skit, you won't have that problem either). A lot of awesome cosplays have extremely distinctive silhouettes--if an Alexiel cosplayer has an awesomely-done set of wings but never turns her back to the audience or the judges, who's going to see them until they're fully extended?

Summoner Yuna - Final Fantasy X:
90% Finished (Repairing).
Julia Heartilly - Final Fantasy VIII: 10% Finished.
General Vaida - Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword: 15% Finished (Planned).
Elphaba Thropp - Wicked (musical version): 10% finished (Planned).
Sharysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #238
Loveable-Eve
Moe Destroyer of Worlds

I think with the "back turned" thing it depends on what you are going for. If you entered mainly for your costume then you can gladly show off your back. If you're like me and entering more for your preformance only have your back turned to the audience the when needed. It's good for dramatic posing or if you have a prop/set piece upstage. Most of the time though it's good to show your face.

Please please PLEASE have prerecored audio or at least have a mic if you can. Even in the quietest room most of the time you will not be able to be heard beyond the first few rows otherwise. This happened at the last con I was at and no one was paying attention to the girl because we couldn't hear her. I couldn't help but feel a bit sad.

If your tech cues are important to you you need to advocate for yourself and ask to workt hem out with the tech staff. My last skit we were running late in the tech-through and we didn't get to run lights, but if we would have spent 5 minutes telling the staff what to do they wouldn't have messed up the cue in the show.
Drag Cloud - Final Fantasy 7: Need dress, wig and braids
Bahamat - Fantasy 4: I need wig, and to make the wings
The Best Costume Ever - It's a surprise: All I need is the wig!
Loveable-Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #239
Holierthanthou
Haku Strider

My two cents on the turning your back, there are DEFINITELY times where it is appropriate, both in cosplay and theater. The main thing to keep in mind when you turn your back to the audience is that it must be DELIBERATE. Do NOT turn your back when you are delivering just any old line, or at a moment that seems out of nowhere. Do it when you need to do some sort of reveal. Do it when conveying a certain emotion (usually isolation, anger, anguish... stuff like that). Do it when choreography in a dance calls for it. Do NOT turn your back for no reason. THAT is upstaging yourself, and you NEVER want to do that.

Now my dos and don'ts, which apply to most performances

DO- no matter what happens, what mistakes are made, what costume failures there are, NEVER let it show on your face. You continue as if that was supposed to happen. Never EVER let the audience know that you made a mistake.

DO- Look confident! Own that stage, make sure that every eye in the room is on you. One trick I use when swimming for Synchro and also when acting is to look at a a spot right in the middle of the wall at the back of the room, or, sometimes, I'll actually be looking at the kind of "corner" between the wall and the ceiling!

DO- Keep your back straight and your chin up. This will help with looking confident. Unless you are playing a character like L, who very specifically hunches over, you don't want to hunch over. It will make you look closed off and like you are afraid of being on stage.

DON'T- Rush. If you make your lines or actions too fast, then the meaning will be lost on the audience. They will be confused, not entertained. Everything you do must be a little slower than you think it should be.
Russia-APH (FINISHED), Dave Strider- Homestuck (FINISHED), Terezi Pyrope- Homestuck (FINISHED), Feferi Peixes- Homestuck (FINISHED), Sherlock Holmes- Sherlock (FINISHED), Cecil Palmer- Welcome to Night Vale (FINISHED), Grell Sutcliff- Kuroshitsuji (99% Done), Cicero- Skyrim (30% Done)

Facebook ~ Tumblr ~ Deviantart

Last edited by Holierthanthou : 01-29-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Holierthanthou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #240
InsanityDragon
Sanity? What is that?

I'm not sure if this has been said before, but
DON'T just do some random dance unless it's really important for the skit (and if the dance is part of the anime). There's nothing that can bore the judges more than a group of mixed characters doing an irrelevant dance to a Vocaloid song or something.
Going to be blunt here but honestly I think it's a waste of people's time... Unless it's one of those humorous skits that the characters are 'telling a story' with different bits of songs and dances. And even then, they should be characters from the same anime, but it can work with different characters as well.
EMC

Cosplays:
Black Rock Shooter
Grell Sutcliff
Maid!Grell Sutcliff
Jack Frost
Pirate!France
Fem!Sherlock
Junko Enoshima

In-Progress:
Harley Quinn (regular and steampunk)
Paige/Human!Notebook