Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

How to hide a binder?

so I'm a DD and I use the Tri-top to bind and it works beautifully, but in 2014 I'm going to be cosplaying Yuri from Tales of Vesperia here, and as you can see, the neck line is very open and will show a lot of the shirt (its white)... what can I do to cover it to look as real as possible?
My idea was to make a prosthetic, take some fabric and layer on tissue and liquid latex, and make it smooth and then if it was flesh toned, good, and if not, then use my foundation over it and then seal it somehow (clear spray paint sealant or something) and then use additional liquid latex to make it blend into the skin...
I'd have to make a new one every few wears most likely... but this is the most realistic thing I could come up with... would it work?
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

Your idea sounds good if you can get it to blend well. I've never done it, but it sounds like it would work.

Alternatively, you could try open-shirt binding. Have you tried it? I don't know if it'd work with your size, but it seems like it would be easier than making a prosthetic every couple of wears.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 75%
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
Your idea sounds good if you can get it to blend well. I've never done it, but it sounds like it would work.

Alternatively, you could try open-shirt binding. Have you tried it? I don't know if it'd work with your size, but it seems like it would be easier than making a prosthetic every couple of wears.
open shirt is out of the question for me... even if it worked in theory on my size, the costume is closely fitted at the sides and I'd have basically two boobs under my arms instead of on my chest XP

but I will try what i said and see if it works and let everyone know in case anyone else was thinking of doing this XP
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

I have some small pieces I made that are liquid latex over fabric - they are actually doing just fine after two years - although for mine they didn't have to look smooth. I didn't use and tissue, just liquid latex.

I think if you did layers of liquid latex over fabric and painted it with 50/50 PAX and Pros-Aid, it could work. That way the regular makeup wouldn't destroy the latex (it will break it down) and the piece could potentially last for a very long time.

I'd make the piece out of a sturdy fabric, but attach a gauze-like material at the edges so you're able to thin it out there to blend in (glue to back of the main piece so you don't add bulk). The edges got a bit thick when I did mine, so for yours to try to blend into the skin I'd want to make sure you can control the edges and it'd give you a way of blending it in with spirit gum, like a lace-front wig.

It will take a while to make, but don't too bad.

You could also use a cast and molded latex piece. It's a different kind of work, but I don't think it would be all that much more work compared to layering on layer after layer of liquid latex. You could cover with a thin plastic sheet so the material doesn't stick to the binder fabric and have someone make a thin layer in clay on you and use that to make the prosthetic. You might even be able to find one ready-made.

I also saw someone on here just use painted spandex for an open-shirt crossplay and it looked amazing just with that.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
ametheneko
Fickle Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgasm View Post
open shirt is out of the question for me... even if it worked in theory on my size, the costume is closely fitted at the sides and I'd have basically two boobs under my arms instead of on my chest XP

but I will try what i said and see if it works and let everyone know in case anyone else was thinking of doing this XP
Please do post if this is successful. I'm in pretty much the exact same predicament as you (DD breasts, and a man with an open shirt and jacket similar to your character) and I've been trying to wrack my brain about how to make something like this work. Your idea sounds absolutely fascinating, and definitely worth a try! I can't wait to see the result!

(Sorry for not adding much to this thread, I just wanted to second the motion of posting if this is an effective method. Best of luck to you!! )

In-Progress Cosplay
Sephiroth - FFVII: Advent Children - 5%
Agent Maine- Red vs Blue - 5%
Hiccup - HTTYD2 - 80%

The Bet Is Off
tumblr
ametheneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

Here's an example of what just painting a leotard can do : http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...1817518277.jpg

Annnd, here's the one I was thinking of that I had to find because she was one of my favourite cosplayers before I took a break from this site and I was kicking myself for not adding anything of her to "Favourites" : http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1860998/

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Here's an example of what just painting a leotard can do : http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...1817518277.jpg

Annnd, here's the one I was thinking of that I had to find because she was one of my favourite cosplayers before I took a break from this site and I was kicking myself for not adding anything of her to "Favourites" : http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1860998/
unfortunately it would be near impossible for me to find a leotard in my skin color (almost paper white, but not yellow, blue, pink or green undertoned, just... there... but not quite white enough to where a white leotard will work...) and while that looks pretty good, it actually looks really fake to me, and I want to try and look as skin like as possible... not much of the skin is actually showing (just a sliver really), so I think I will try latex because it can get skintone... I'm going to be using PAX for Ice Queen later this year, so I can see if I can find a way to mix a color to be close to my own foundation color...
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Kelley
Devil of Details

I think it depends on how cartoony vs realistic you want to go and how cartoony vs realistic the costume itself is and work vs expectations.

If it's a relatively flat and small area, you could probably get away without doing a cast of your actual body and make a latex prosthetic using clay over a similar enough surface and going from there. The foam latex used in prosthetics will look and paint up a lot more realistically than liquid latex will. If using liquid latex, I'd make a test patch and make sure that the makeup/paint/whatever will adhere and cover it correctly. Liquid latex tends to look really shiny and weird and not like skin - it can work in flesh colours for doing things like blending edges since you don't need a thick mat of it, but it looks really plastic-like when it's built-up.

That and the leotard method will come down to painting and color-matching for success since you won't be able to get the creepy realism of a full sculpted piece (I don't mean that in a discouraging way or anything, I think you could do a more realistic paint job on a leotard than either of the examples - but you won't get like, sculpted pores and hairs and stuff without clay, tweezers and masochism :P . I like to try to cover all the bases of a problem, so that's just taking it to an extreme).

Although, since it's such a small area showing, are you sure you couldn't tape like the "open shirt" way, but making it go downward as well as to the sides ? I understand if it's not feasible, but it's the easiest way to get a completely realistic look if possible. I'd be tempted to try it and see what it looks like under the costume if I was doing it just to see how lumpy it would be (but maybe you've done it for something else).

Actually in the pipes: