Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 244 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #841
Boreotheria
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorrupt View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much is a good price for it? I'm fairly new to sewing, and although I made my Robin cape out of satin the other day, I intentionally picked something that looked a little less fancy, so what would be good for "duchess satin?"
Mff. It totally depends on where you are. The sale prices on the bridal-type satins at my Joann right now seem to be anywhere from $6-12/yard. Some of their non-sale prices are close to $20/yard.
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #842
winterdream28

Hello all, so I am ready to start looking for materials, not ready to sew them yet, want to wait another month or two and practice on derp fabric( I am learning to sew), but I am just very confused as to what fabric to get that would achieve this the best and also have a little stretch so I am comfortable. Here is Image of cosplay I am attempting. Will be doing some slight alterations to bring the complexity down of the pattern. http://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=1238 . Any advice appreciated
winterdream28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #843
letsdancemagic
Lily Chou Chou

Hi all! I am trying to make this Chi dress but I'm not quiet sure which fabric to use...

http://www.animegalleries.net/img/332880

Any suggestions? Also does anyone think it is a very light pink or white?
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #844
MeiEden

Hi all -

This is the first time I'm making a cosplay costume myself (As opposed to buying pieces and putting them together).

I'm cosplaying as Serah Farron from FFXIII-2, and was considering a Milliskin Shiny (Nylon Spandex Tricot) for the dark pink portion of her dress - same as leggings and arm warmers. Do you think the fabric would be too flimsy or too shiny? (I'm guessing I need to line it as well - fabric suggestion for lining?) I've been staring at fabric samples forever and can't figure out if it will work or not. I'm terrible at fabric choices.

Thanks in advance for any help!

reference picture link: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._cg_render.png

Image:
MeiEden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #845
letsdancemagic
Lily Chou Chou

Hi all! I am in need of some experianced cosplayers' advice. I would like to start working on a Chi dress, the only problem is I can't decide what fabric to use! So please if any of you have suggestions please tell me. I have attached the reference photo to this post. Also, what is everyone's opinion on the color? More of a light pink or white?

Thanks any advice is appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chii everyday 4 reference.jpg (49.4 KB, 0 views)
letsdancemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #846
CarrotEater

What kind of cotton for a yukata? I couldnt find a good kind at the shop so now I have to order online so it needs to be exactly the right one! Reference pic below.
CarrotEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #847
Angelic_Sabyne
SuperGal in Training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorrupt View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much is a good price for it? I'm fairly new to sewing, and although I made my Robin cape out of satin the other day, I intentionally picked something that looked a little less fancy, so what would be good for "duchess satin?"
Khorrupt, if you don't mind purchasing fabric online, you might look at Fabric.com for satin. They have two gorgeous Duchess satin (Adore and Mi Amor) that both come in a gorgeous range of colors. For my current project, I picked out 6 yards of the Mi Amor satin in dark red, and it's perfect for what I need. It's about $6-$7 per yard depending on which you go with, but you do get free shipping when you're buying over $35 in product from the site.

(A word of caution, it's HEAVY! If you get a lot of it, like I did, be careful moving it around when cutting, its own weight may pull it weird directions.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsdancemagic View Post
Hi all! I am in need of some experianced cosplayers' advice. I would like to start working on a Chi dress, the only problem is I can't decide what fabric to use! So please if any of you have suggestions please tell me. I have attached the reference photo to this post. Also, what is everyone's opinion on the color? More of a light pink or white?

Hmm, that dress could work with either a duchess satin or some kind of heavier cotton in a blush pink. I also want to say Taffeta for some odd reason (likely the mild headache I'm getting rid of), but I worry that would be too stiff for a dress like that.

Facebook
Tumblr
Storenvy Shop

Upcoming 2014 Conventions

Anime Los Angeles
Anime Conji (?)
Fanime
Anime California (?)
Pacific Media Expo

'If at first you don't succeed, pull out the stitches, realign your fabric pieces, and sew it again.'
Angelic_Sabyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #848
letsdancemagic
Lily Chou Chou

@ Angelic_Sabyn Thank you! I considered taffeta as well, but it is just such a noisy fabric that I think it would annoy me. But I do like the cotton idea and duchess satin idea!
letsdancemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #849
happycreature

First-Time Cosplayer: Medli

hi everyone~ I've been a lurker for a long time but I'm about to start out on my first ever cosplay and need some sound advice! I'm trying Medli from LoZ (Wind Waker).

Here's a picture of her concept art.

Since this is the first time Ive been sewing *anything* since craft class in my freshman year of high school I'm a little intimidated, but I'm trying to take it one step at a time!

After hours of searching I found a pattern for a simple sheath dress I think that will work nicely; I just need some help to get me started.

1) What fabric do you think should I use for the dress and the tabard? Cotton twill? Linen? Wool? I'm looking for something that's sturdy and wont wrinkle too much. A slightly "organic" look I think would be neat, but I'm a complete newb here so I can't be too picky.

1a) After choosing the fabric, what are the odds that I'm going to be able to find it in the color I need (steely-grey) ? Should I scour the internet for one or plan on dyeing it?

2) What should I do for the trim? Bias tape? Twill tabe? Ribbon? Additional fabric?

Achieving something like this (minus the wings [for now!]) would be my ideal. (Cosplay credit; CatalystSirene, Devart)

Sorry for the multiple questions, I have a lot to learn, but thanks in advance!
happycreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #850
ADAM+EVE
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by outreiged View Post
This year I'm working on my first costume, and with any luck it'll turn out to be some garbage vaguely resembling this

What material would you recommend for the basic black of the plugsuit? I was thinking nylon/elastane or something along those lines, but I'm new to the world of fabrics and am wondering what else is out there.

Thanks!
Hi! Okay first thing I want to say is if this is your first time doing a costume, please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD don't do a plugsuit. I think it was my first dream cosplay as soon as I saw it but I didn't have the skill yet and i ended up wasting a LOT of expensive fabric in the process and getting SUPER stressed and upset for an end result that was very disappointing. I know many amazing and experienced cosplayer who literally had breakdown because of plugsuits. It took 6 months to make mine. After about 3 years of sewing costumes. But if you have your heartset on it...

NEOPRENE! It is a plugsuit's best friend. Expensive but perfect. It is what wet suits are made of and achieves the most desired effect possible. c:
Good luck!
ADAM+EVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #851
benihime
Kimono Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsdancemagic View Post

Honestly, that screams white to me.
If you haven't ordered your fabric yet, the Casa Collection from joanns would be PERFECT. I adore their casa satin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrotEater View Post
What kind of cotton for a yukata? I couldnt find a good kind at the shop so now I have to order online so it needs to be exactly the right one! Reference pic below.
Your image doesn't work.
As long as it's cotton and not broadcloth, I would say chose whatever pattern is closest that you can find

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #852
shipszer
Om nom

Hey I have kind of a tight budget, except not exact, so I'd prefer a cheaper fabric but anywho http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/...94ebc0ac1c.jpg I was thinking maybe pleather or something? Thanks everyone
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #853
edolucy
Ultimate Otaku

Hey, I'm pretty new when it comes to selecting fabric so does anyone have any ideas for this: http://david-y-f.deviantart.com/art/...F35740741&qo=6

SacAnime Summer 2014
Group Cosplay: Mekakucity Actors-Shintaro Kisaragi 100% Done
Duo Cosplay: Danganronpa-Aoi Asahina 100% Done
Duo Cosplay: Sword Art Online 2-Sinon 10% Gathering Materials

edolucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #854
Boreotheria
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipszer View Post
Hey I have kind of a tight budget, except not exact, so I'd prefer a cheaper fabric but anywho http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/...94ebc0ac1c.jpg I was thinking maybe pleather or something? Thanks everyone
Pleather would be great for that, or shiny vinyl-y looking stuff. Just keep an eye out for sales, especially online.

If you wanted to get really creative and mix things up a bit, you could do something like the white half in satin and the black half in velveteen.
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #855
shipszer
Om nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreotheria View Post
Pleather would be great for that, or shiny vinyl-y looking stuff. Just keep an eye out for sales, especially online.

If you wanted to get really creative and mix things up a bit, you could do something like the white half in satin and the black half in velveteen.
okay Thanks a bunch and that's an interesting way to do with the satin and velveteen thanks for the advice