Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 04-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Freud
Eva Rider

Make Up for extremely dry and sensitive skin?

Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post this thread so I hope this is the right place ><
I don't know how to work with my skin. It's not oily, but the opposite. If I moisturize it, then two hours later my skin will dry up and start peeling. Sometimes even moisturizing won't help and my skin gets certain dry patches (even my eyelids). My skin isn't really prone to acne, but since I was young I could only use Cetaphil and no other brand. So I'm asking if you all know any good foundation and moisturizer recommendations? Also any skincare I should be doing?

Last edited by Freud : 04-20-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Freud is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
lillybearbutt
Riri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud View Post
Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post this thread so I hope this is the right place ><
I don't know how to work with my skin. It's not oily, but the opposite. If I moisturize it, then two hours later my skin will dry up and start peeling. Sometimes even moisturizing won't help and my skin gets certain dry patches (even my eyelids). My skin isn't really prone to acne, but since I was young I could only use Cetaphil and no other brand. So I'm asking if you all know any good foundation and moisturizer recommendations? Also any skincare I should be doing?
So, my skin doesn't get that bad but it considered dry - I have been told that my nose area gets dried especially after, if I get my make up done for fun, they add powder to "set the makeup".

I actually make my own moisturizer... just bought carrier oils and essential oils meant for dry skin. That or a good recommendation for moisturizer - in my case, the Sephora dry skin moisturizer was the only one that has worked for me, but I have since started using these oils because they are cheaper and more customized for my skin type. So anyways - here's the BEST tip w/ make up :

when I use foundation, if your skin is dry, you want to add some moisturizer to the foundation directly, mix it and add to your skin. I did that last month, and it worked wonders for me...

The brand I used for foundation was MAC, mainly because I was asking for a foundation for photography settings, she gave me that.

Another that will help TREMENDOUSLY is if you exfoliate.. that will get rid of the dry skin flakes you keep getting.

But... I would start with a once a week routine on exfoliation - honey and sugar, or any DIY face scrub you can look into on google. I use honey and sugar and add Jojoba oil (For the dry skin) and after wards it feels so great.

Dry eyelids - maybe olive oil could help - eyes are so sensitive, but a lot of people do use olive oil to keep the eyelids/under eyes hydrated.
DA
lillybearbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
Somethingducky

Clinique makes wonderful foundation for dry and sensitive skin. You also mention that you use Cetaphil, but what do you use as a moisturizer? I would recommend and oil based moisturizer, sounds a little crazy but what skin really needs to stay healthy and moisturized is balanced oil levels.
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

I have sensitive skin, and it gets dry time to time. But I dunno if bare minerals will work on SUPER dry skin You could go and have them test it on your skin but how dry your skin is depends on it. You might wanna look in to better moisturizers.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Throatriptron
Tsundere

I have really dry and sensitive skin as well, and I use Ponds for sensitive skin at night, and in the morning I use Burt's Bees radiance day cream.

Try make-up brands like Tarte and Clinique for primers and foundations. Stick with liquid or moose foundation. Bare minerals also makes a hydrating finishing powder to set your makeup but not dry it out, and it's also made for sensitive skin.
Throatriptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
dragonaeve
hydralisk

I have eczema, so my skin gets irritated and dry all the time, and I still get pimples. :<
A skin routine that has been working for me lately is first putting a layer of camellia oil (hopefully any oil will do), and then putting on some kind of lotion/moisturizer. Aveeno for babies has been pretty harmless. The oil seems to act as a barrier for the moisturizer so my skin doesn't absorb it too fast. Then I have a bunch of sample tubes of cortisone and other mystery ointments from the dermatologist for my itchy/flaky patches that flare up every so often.

As for makeup, I like to use BB creams since it's moisturizer + foundation + sunblock in one. I just keep asking for samples of Dr. Jart at Sephora. >_> Otherwise I'll use a tinted sunscreen, also from the dermatologist. The sun can easily damage any flaky patches of skin, so it's important to use some kind of sunscreen when going outdoors. Usually I test on the inside of my arm, read the ingredients, look up any reviews, and then decide if my face can handle it. I try to avoid ingredients that sound like they'd contain nickel or cobalt blue, which are common contact allergens, and/or silicone-based ingredients, which are usually for oily-skinned people.
dragonaeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
KidXister

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillybearbutt View Post
But... I would start with a once a week routine on exfoliation - honey and sugar, or any DIY face scrub you can look into on google. I use honey and sugar and add Jojoba oil (For the dry skin) and after wards it feels so great.
I think what she said will work really well. My hands get so dry in the winter that hey will crack and bleed. A sugar scrub on my hands keeps them moisturized for a week. Nothing else I have tried has worked as well as the sugar scrub.
good luck
KidXister is offline   Reply With Quote