Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Australia

Unread 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
uruha-fan-girl
Uruki~

Conventions. How much money do you take?

Hey guys,

This year will be my first ever convention. I'll be going to GC Nov, but only on the Saturday. Pretty nervous and excited haha but yeah I was curious how much money do I take.. And should I take it as cash? The money will be for spending, I have already worked out my traveling expenses, so now all thats left is my spending monies xD

How much money do you guys usually take when going to cons, if you dont mind me asking haha

And as what to take in.. Can I take in a small back pack with like a drink bottle, my wallet maybe some food etc?

If you guys have any tips or advice for a first time con goer please tell~!!

Thank you^ ^

~Uruki/Angel

Teru ~ Versailles -Masquerade version-
Uruha ~Silly God Disco Ver~
Ion Fortuna ~ Trinity blood

(lets try again haha)
2014 is the year I wish to properly cosplay~!

My DA http://uruha-fan-girl.deviantart.com/

My FB Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Uruki...46729938844203

Last edited by uruha-fan-girl : 04-17-2013 at 06:10 PM.
uruha-fan-girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Su-san

Aha last year was my first time going to a con... I felt the exact same way as you do currently

Anyway.... I took $100 in cash to Supanova (and spent every last cent), it should be enough to spend (I think....). Just be careful with it as you could easily loose it. Most of the stalls will probably ask for cash. I believe they have ATM's but the queues are looooooooooooooooooooooong so its always best to take cash anyway so you can spend most of the day feeling pretty awesome and so you dont spend half an hour in a queue waiting to get cash.

For backpacks? Well last year I didnt need one (since I'm supposedly like a camel, who can store water somehow) and all I carried with me was a wallet and my camera. But I suggest its a good idea to take water with you as it will hydrate you and you'll probably need it.

Advice? Well....

Just get out there, stay in character (or well try)... AND HAVE FUUUN

UNKNOWN AS OF YET

----------

Planning

Sherlock Holmes (BBC)
SuperWhoLock (Fandom-y thing)
Reichenbach Sherlock

----------

Last edited by Su-san : 04-17-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to add D: and spelling mistakes
Su-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
littlemissnerdy

I suggest taking cash. Some of the smaller booths might not take credit cards or if there's connection/wifi issues their machines/phone readers might not work.

For how much, it all depends on what you think you want to buy. Do you know if there's anything there that you "have" to have? Do you have money put aside for food? I know the Cons I've attended taking food/water in hasn't been an issue but you might want to double check their website.

Since you're only going for a day, I'd say $100-$150 should be enough.
DeviantArt (Brand New): LittleMissHawkeye

2013 Conventions:
C2E2
SDCC
Baltimore Comic Con
NYCC
littlemissnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
Chryso

Definitely take cash - but have a card as backup. As to how much, it depends on what you like and what you're going to do. Are you going to meet celebrities to get photos and signatures? Do you love merchandise?
As an average, I spend about $100-150 on a signature and merchandise. Some days I don't spend anything at all.
ALWAYS bring water. No con I've been to (specially not Supanova) has ever had issue with me bringing food and water. Con food is always salty and expensive and the lines are enormous.
Other advice for first time con - don't be shy, always ask if you're going to take a photo (it's considered rude to snap a photo of someone without asking), don't feel shy to ask someone if you want to be in a photo with them, try not to pester cosplayers who are obviously on a break (eating or fixing their costume).
Will you be cosplaying yourself?

Run without rivals
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #5
uruha-fan-girl
Uruki~

Thanks for all the help guys

So if I take at least $100/50 I'm safe, hmn well I'll take some more just to be on the safe side haha I could go on a spending spree lolz I'm not sure what to expect~

Chryso:

I would like to cosplay but I don't have a complete cosplay yet, in missing like shoes or proper pants etc so I'm thinking of just dressing up and wearing a wig :3 I'd have liked to cosplay maybe next time I guess~

(lets try again haha)

Unread 04-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Suntory_Times
re fanatic

Never been to a convention like your referring to (going to my first soon hopefully as Hunk). But my advice from having traveled quite a bit is to have water, also muesli bars are simply amazing to have when you get a bit hungry. The water in particular is a must, you really can't enjoy yourself all that much it you are dehydrated. Also this may just be me, but I like having a small pack of deodorant and hand sanitizer.

Basic tips, never leave your purse/wallet out of your site outside of with a person you know well and trust, make sure your phone is left on charge the night before and that you have a set meet up point time and place with friends in case you can't contact one another. Basically just remember to use common sense and have fun.
Suntory_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
uruha-fan-girl
Uruki~

suntory:

Thank you for the advice, yeah I plan to take lots of water, and I will keep an eye on my wallet^ ^

And I hope you enjoy your first con too as Hunk,good luck and get lots of pics~!! xD

(lets try again haha)

Unread 04-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #8
Chryso

Quote:
Originally Posted by uruha-fan-girl View Post
I would like to cosplay but I don't have a complete cosplay yet, in missing like shoes or proper pants etc so I'm thinking of just dressing up and wearing a wig :3 I'd have liked to cosplay maybe next time I guess~
Don't feel obliged to cosplay if you're not ready, it's actually a good idea to get a feel for the atmosphere without being utterly overwhelmed by dealing with the cosplay side of it too.

Run without rivals
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote