Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #1081
BlackroseHunter
TheOne&Only

Wow this thread was a big help! I didn't even have to ask anything, just re-reading the posts helped me. Now I can get started on my Rainbow Dash wig! Yay. I'm going to be hand dying it, so I'm going to wait until I have a complete free day/weekend to dedicate to it

"When you curse someone, you dig your own grave"

Cosplays for Anime Mid-Atlantic 2014:
Princess Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)
Ymir (Attack on Titan)
Fem!Prussia (Nyotalia/Hetalia)

Cosplays for Otakon 2014
Tony the Talking Clock (Don't Hug Me I'm Scared)
Fem!Rin Matsuoka (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Fu, Seven-Tailed Jinchuuriki (Naruto: Shippuden)
BlackroseHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #1082
JewishLolita
~Founder of KakuiCosplay~

When dying a light blond wig to a dark crimson shade of red, how many sharpies do you think I should prepare? Or perhaps maybe try craft ink instead? I've heard both methods are possible.

My one concern with sharpies is the smell, will it linger behind after washing it with cold water till it runs clear? I am very sensitive to the scent of sharpies and get sick if exposed for too long.
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #1083
Kerodohi
No longer active

@Blackrose: Awesome! I bet your Rainbow Dash wig will turn out beautifully ^-^ Glad this thread could be helpful!

@JewishLolita: The amount of Sharpies you need is directly proportional to the length of the wig. Generally 2-3 is pretty good for a shorter wig, 3-4 for medium, and 5-5+ for long ones. Those are VERY basic guidelines but hopefully somewhat useful.

Unfortunately, I can't really offer an opinion on the smell, as my more recent projects haven't involved fully dyeing anything, and I'm kind of immune to the smell of Sharpies anyway. The smell probably lingers for a bit past the rinsing stage. The rinsing mostly just gets rid of extra ink, so I would imagine there would still be some amount of smell from the ink that remains on the wig.
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #1084
JewishLolita
~Founder of KakuiCosplay~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerodohi View Post
@JewishLolita: The amount of Sharpies you need is directly proportional to the length of the wig. Generally 2-3 is pretty good for a shorter wig, 3-4 for medium, and 5-5+ for long ones. Those are VERY basic guidelines but hopefully somewhat useful.

Unfortunately, I can't really offer an opinion on the smell, as my more recent projects haven't involved fully dyeing anything, and I'm kind of immune to the smell of Sharpies anyway. The smell probably lingers for a bit past the rinsing stage. The rinsing mostly just gets rid of extra ink, so I would imagine there would still be some amount of smell from the ink that remains on the wig.
Do you think it's possible to mask the smell by some means? Perfumes? Hairsprays? I really need to dye a wig, but don't want to risk knocking myself out by the lingering scent of the sharpies. Haha. Thanks for the other advice though, very helpful!
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #1085
Kerodohi
No longer active

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishLolita View Post
Do you think it's possible to mask the smell by some means? Perfumes? Hairsprays? I really need to dye a wig, but don't want to risk knocking myself out by the lingering scent of the sharpies. Haha. Thanks for the other advice though, very helpful!
Definitely not hairspray. Anything that contains quite a lot of alcohol will make the dye streak or blotch.

You could try adding some of your regular conditioner when you rinse the wig. Rinse the wig out really well first to get rid of as much excess ink as possible. Then squirt a ring of conditioner around the crown of the wig and rinse it thoroughly, letting the conditioner run down and through the fibers (try not to touch the wig too much). That might help combat the smell a bit. I've personally washed a wig with hand-dyed streaks in it, using both my regular shampoo and conditioner, and the color didn't change perceptibly. On a fully dyed-wig, however, there's higher potential for a bit of oddity with the color.

When in doubt, do a swatch test! Snip off a bit of the fiber from somewhere it won't be noticeable, dye and rinse it, and then try it with a bit of conditioner to see how it reacts (and if it gets rid of the smell)

Hope that helps a bit more ^-^
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #1086
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

This should definitely help with my Friagne wig, considering his hair is such a weird blue-purple cosplay. Hopefully it'll stay though since the wig I'm getting is heat resistant, but all I have to do is tint it purple rather than full on dye it.
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #1087
Kerodohi
No longer active

Let us know how it goes, Quinn! It's always good to get more information on how heat-resistant wigs handle Sharpie dye ^-^
Unread 08-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #1088
BlackroseHunter
TheOne&Only

This might be a silly question, and I've seen info about it, but I wanted to be sure before I started dyeing.

1) I've read some people litterally just color their wig as in directly use the sharpie marker to color the hairs on the wig, does this actually work, and if so how does it compare to the alcohol method quality wise?
and
2) I got my wig, but its a blonde color, really really light blonde, but blonde all the same. Will it still work?

"When you curse someone, you dig your own grave"

Cosplays for Anime Mid-Atlantic 2014:
Ymir (Attack on Titan)
Fem!Prussia (Nyotalia/Hetalia)

Cosplays for Otakon 2014
Tony the Talking Clock (Don't Hug Me I'm Scared)
Fem!Rin Matsuoka (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Fu, Seven-Tailed Jinchuuriki (Naruto: Shippuden)
BlackroseHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #1089
Kerodohi
No longer active

@Blackrose: The hand-coloring method gives excellent results if used in the appropriate situation. As compared to the alcohol spray method, it does take longer and - depending on how thorough you are when coloring- more prone to streaks. But the color itself turns out a bit darker and definitely more vibrant than with the spray method, since you're applying concentrated ink directly to the fibers.

Very light blonde wigs work just as well as white wigs for base color. It's when you start getting into the honey and golden blondes that it becomes an issue ^-^

Hope that answered your questions!
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #1090
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

I want to use the sharpie and rubbing alcohol method to dye my wig, but I was wondering how would I dye it silver/light grey? I know the more sharpies you use the brighter the color will be, but like I mentioned I was wondering if I would use one black sharpie marker to achieve sliver/light grey? The wig I'm going to use is white or maybe very pale almost white silver. I'm pretty sure I'll need to dye it, but I wanted it because it's long so I have room for error when cutting/styling it. The character is Akihiko from Persona 3. Image provided. I just wanted to do the sharpie and rubbing alcohol method and dunk it, but I don't want to color it too bright/dark, I suppose rather I don't want it to be dark grey or black. I don't know if a black sharpie would be the best for this. I know there is an actual silver sharpie but it's metallic and I don't know if that would make your wig look shiny? I've yet to get the wig from the cosplayer I'm buying it from, but I was going to buy the supplies to dye it with and wanted to know what I should do before going to dye it. I wouldn't mind having to dye it a few times if the color comes out too light rather then dying it once and dying it too dark. Any hoo, any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

http://static.zerochan.net/Sanada.Ak...ull.325274.jpg
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)

Last edited by Kawaii Pocky : 12-03-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: forgot link
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #1091
Kerodohi
No longer active

@Kawaii Pocky: Sorry for late reply, I had no internet for weeks >_<
I'd personally use the Slate Gray Sharpie instead. Black Sharpie ink isn't actually black, it's sort of a gross red/green/purple combination and will probably not give you the light gray you're looking for. I've only ever used silver Sharpies for hand-coloring, and they're a bit shinier than regular Sharpies because of the metallic flecks, and some part of me thinks they probably won't dilute very nicely. You've got the right idea - make a diluted solution with a small part of ink to alcohol and redye if necessary. Keep in mind that you can also strip color off again (it won't come off fully but it will lighten quite a bit) with 99% alcohol. It does tend to make it a bit streaky but even if the color comes out too dark, you'll have a way to correct it.

Hopefully that helped!
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #1092
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

Once I dye my wig using the sharpie-alcohol method, will i still be able to style it with hairspray and spiking gel?

Also, will a 16 FL OZ bottle of alcohol be enough? For length reference, this is a Gumi wig, so a short choppy back and long front pieces.

Thanks for the help~

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #1093
MitsukaiEievui

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mirakuru View Post
Once I dye my wig using the sharpie-alcohol method, will i still be able to style it with hairspray and spiking gel?

Also, will a 16 FL OZ bottle of alcohol be enough? For length reference, this is a Gumi wig, so a short choppy back and long front pieces.

Thanks for the help~
I'd like to know this too.
I have a light blonde wig I plan to dye a little darker for Yogi from Karneval and I'm almost certain I'll need hairspray to keep those flying curls in place.
MitsukaiEievui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #1094
Kerodohi
No longer active

FFFFFUUUUUU I missed my notifications again! I'm super-sorry OTL
J-Mirakuru & MitsukaiEievui: You can style a wig with hairspray after it's been dyed. Just be careful and try to use very thin layers. Heavy-duty application will usually result in the color starting to run or go streaky.

In regards to J-Mirakuru's question on how much alcohol to get, I usually like to get a pretty big bottle. 16 oz might be enough for a short wig, but it's always a good thing to have extra in case you want to apply more than one dye layer, or in case you mess up and need to strip the dye.

Again, apologies for late (and prolly useless at this point) post!
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #1095
MitsukaiEievui

It's not useless at all for me!
Since its planned for December.

Thank you very much for the reply! I must now pester my sister to buy me some sharpies tomorrow xD
MitsukaiEievui is offline   Reply With Quote