Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #586
Khorrupt

Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward.

In-progress costumes~
~W.A. Mozart (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Blue Beetle (Young Justice) - 45% complete - ON HOLD
~Ryuk (Death Note) - 50% complete
~Elsa (Frozen) - 20% complete
~Elizabethan!TARDIS - 5% complete
~kigurumi!Silkie - commission
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #587
Boreotheria

Just finished "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters. Creepy sad gothic-type romance with paranormal elements in a post-WWII setting. Her '40s stories are really bleak and depressing. I think I'll try to get hold of one of her Victorian lesbian romances next.

Going go try again to tackle Koike & Kojima's "Lone Wolf and Cub". The first time I tried reading one of these I thought I was having trouble following the plot. But the plots aren't that complicated, at least no more so than your average political-intrigue-and-assassination stories. It's not even that in some word balloons half the words are transliterated but not translated from Japanese. It's the teeny tiny pages, and resulting teeny tiny print, thank you very much Dark Horse. Were they printed this small in Japanese originally? I sort of doubt it. But I find myself holding the book really close to my face and squinting, especially when I try to read before bed.
Random steampunk wardrobe items

boreotheria@deviantart
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #588
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Columbine by Dave Cullen. As if I needed a reminder that after a public tragedy the media gets pretty much everything wrong....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreotheria View Post
Just finished "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters. Creepy sad gothic-type romance with paranormal elements in a post-WWII setting. Her '40s stories are really bleak and depressing. I think I'll try to get hold of one of her Victorian lesbian romances next.
I read Fingersmith ages ago and recall liking it. I think that the faux-Victorian-with-lesbian-under-currents genre is overdone these days, but Sarah Waters was one of the first.

Last edited by The Hag : 04-23-2013 at 09:24 AM.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #589
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Teenagers from Outer Space RPG.
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #590
BlooShine

My boyfriend let me borrow his Sword of Shannara Trilogy and I'm addicted.

Big 'ole list of cosplays!

Levy - Fairy Tail
Menma - Ano Hana
Ranka Lee - Macross Frontier
Xiao - Dark Cloud (Remaking cosplay)
Eris, Goddess of Discord and Chaos - Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
BlooShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #591
Keebs
Deceptive Conceptions

Just finished Shakespeare's The Tempest, about to start working my way through some of Poe's short stories
  • Noda - Angel Beats - 0%
  • 1st Release Ulquiorra w/ Wings - Bleach - 10%
  • Dreadknight Garen - League of Legends - 20%
  • Ash Landers w/ Wings - Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) - 100%
  • Stein - Soul Eater - 100%
  • Mugen - Samurai Champloo - 100%
Keebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #592
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooShine View Post
My boyfriend let me borrow his Sword of Shannara Trilogy and I'm addicted.
My simpathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebs View Post
Just finished Shakespeare's The Tempest, about to start working my way through some of Poe's short stories
Gold Bug and the Cask of Amontillado are two of my favorites.

Tried reading Matched got mad at it and decided if I wanted something that sound like Ray Bradbury that I sould read Ray Bradbury. Read Fahrenheit 451.
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #593
Drysi
Illiterate and Illusory

Finally beginning Les Miserables because I've become a slave to the media and only proactively read classic literature when there's supporting incentive from a film adaptation. When I picked up the tome, a nice guy at the counter was really emphatic I check out The Man Who Laughs as well.
Hooolygodthisthingishuge. I know Hugo was famous for devoting chapters to things completely unrelated from his main plot, but God Almighty this is improvised blunt-force trauma waiting to happen.

Though the day before last I finished 'The Pyschopath Test' by Jim Ronson, which was great as expected of Ronson. His syntax is always easily digestable and the content seamlessly put together. I have a healthy respect for purple writers, but as a purple writer personally, reading concise, immediately intelligible shit is just fantastic.
Drysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #594
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drysi View Post
Finally beginning Les Miserables because I've become a slave to the media and only proactively read classic literature when there's supporting incentive from a film adaptation. When I picked up the tome, a nice guy at the counter was really emphatic I check out The Man Who Laughs as well.
Hooolygodthisthingishuge. I know Hugo was famous for devoting chapters to things completely unrelated from his main plot, but God Almighty this is improvised blunt-force trauma waiting to happen.
Try reading Dumas (father and son).
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #595
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ororo Monroe View Post
Try reading Dumas (father and son).
I worked my way through The Count of Monte Cristo with two of the children I babysat; they were probably seven and eleven at the time and they loved it.

Right now I'm almost at the end of A.E. Marling's Fox's Bride. It's the successor to Brood of Bones, which I wound up really enjoying, and so far this one has been fun, too.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #596
Ilafatyu
That guy

I'm reading through Townie, by Andre Dubus III. It's PiC's assigned reading for one of her lit classes, but my mom used to live in the same neighborhood as him, so she wanted to read it. I just steal it off the coffee table every now and then.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Utatane Piko - default (Vocaloid) - 90%
Connie (Shingeki no Kyojin) - 0%
Sheik (OoT/SSBB) - 53%
Ilafatyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #597
Kumoshi
Just a cowardly montblanc

Recently read Pygmalion. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Planned Cosplays:
- Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basket)
- Levi (Shingeki no Kyojin)
(Suggestions are always welcome~)
Kumoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #598
Amaterasu
Mecha-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreotheria View Post

Going go try again to tackle Koike & Kojima's "Lone Wolf and Cub". The first time I tried reading one of these I thought I was having trouble following the plot. But the plots aren't that complicated, at least no more so than your average political-intrigue-and-assassination stories. It's not even that in some word balloons half the words are transliterated but not translated from Japanese. It's the teeny tiny pages, and resulting teeny tiny print, thank you very much Dark Horse. Were they printed this small in Japanese originally? I sort of doubt it. But I find myself holding the book really close to my face and squinting, especially when I try to read before bed.
I hope that you do come to read it, and get through it. It taught me many Buddhist philosophies in life, and addresses the human condition, spirituality, corruption, sacrifice and the nobility of the samurai spirit. It's also very dark - all of the characters (save perhaps the glorified Itto) are flawed in some manner and make concessions in their daily life. At the end of the 28 volumes, I was moved to Man-Tears by the ending. The pay-off was absolutely worth the while, and I am a proud owner of the series. I revisit it once in a while like an old friend.

I have been reading Frank Herbert's "Dune". I find it a great work of science fiction thus far. The plot is incredibly layered, and it takes a few moments to pause to think about what is going on as the dialogue unfolds. Many of the characters have the ability to see beyond words and gestures - guessing the speaker's true intents. In this way, the plots-within-plots-under-words reveal themselves to the audience, but the arrival of such conclusions can be quite elusive for the reader. At least - this is what I find.
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #599
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Tigerheart by Peter David
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #600
inoitachi
The Lost Wanderer

Bag of Bones by Stephen King
inoitachi is offline   Reply With Quote