Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 04-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
LonerOtaku

What would I use to make a fishnet shirt?

I intend to cosplay as Deidara (Naruto Shippuden) but can't find and affordable and accurate shirt and pants. So I decided I will make my own. (why not? If I mess up horribly I can wear the cloak over my mistake so I figured it was a good place to start learning) I figure it sould be easy enough to make the sleeveless half shirt and I can just use black pants and some bandages for the legs, but what would I use to make the net-like shirt Deidara wears under the half shirt?..........and how would I make it?

sorry if I start to annoy anyone with all my n00b questions.
LonerOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You can buy fishnet fabric. You would have to either use a seam binding like bias tape or a serger to complete the edges because basic stitching won't hold it as well because of it being net. But just Google fishnet fabric. You are bound to find something you could use. Then just look at patterns for t-shirts or sleeveless t's to get the yardage you would need to purchase.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
LonerOtaku

well now i feel a bit stupid. *facepalm* XD thanks. seriously thanks
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
You can buy fishnet fabric. You would have to either use a seam binding like bias tape or a serger to complete the edges because basic stitching won't hold it as well because of it being net. But just Google fishnet fabric. You are bound to find something you could use. Then just look at patterns for t-shirts or sleeveless t's to get the yardage you would need to purchase.
I've seen stuff like that at Joann Fabrics; they have several types.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
theRavenGirl

I just recently did the fishnet shirt for a Deidara cosplay, also. I couldn't find any fishnet fabric at my local fabric stores, and I didn't want to order it online. So I went to a craft/home supply store and bought actual fishnet that is meant to be used to hang on the wall or something. It was brown, so I spray-painted it black and then made a shirt out of it. It was cheap, which was nice, but I found it difficult to work with, because you can't just sew the seams like regular fabric. I carefully cut and then glued each knot together, which worked fine but took a long time. The net cost me about five dollars. Just an idea to help minimize cost.
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
MedievalGirl

Making a net is actually pretty easy. I suck at string things such as knitting or crochet but I figured out netting. I made hairnets for historical costumes but the basic knot is the same in real fishnets or basketball nets. You could make it in the round and not have to deal with seams. Here is a YouTube video that describes the basic knot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMxTGqy0Mzk
There are a lot of other videos or print instructions online is this one isn't clear.
The gauge is used to determine how big to make the openings so you could get exactly the look you want. This person is using a fancy shuttle but anything smaller than the gauge will work for holding the cord.
MedievalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
LonerOtaku

Those were REALLY helpful. Thank you soo much!