Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 04-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Kaylee49

Edward Elric cosplay.

So. I've had a sewing machine for years, but I never use it. Today I randomly decided im going to make Edward Elric's red jacket from Fullmetal Alchemist since I have all the materials laying in my closet!
Only problem is...I have no idea where to even start! I know I need a good pattern to start out with, but I cant seem to find any good ones online ( I live in the middle of no where...the only fabric store has NOTHING in terms of good sewing patterns ) .
I could really use some help guys! All your costumes are so kick-ass, if I can make this jacket HALF as good I'll be satisfied!
I also had some other questions if anyone is willing to help.
1) should I line the inside? If so with what? The same type of fabric? Does anything go between the layers?
2) i've noticed sometimes when I see "in progress" pictures there is some type of almost transparent paper being sewed into the seams? What in the world is that stuff and is it necessary?
3) should I wash my fabric before I start cutting and sewing?

Also I THINK the fabric im working with is a poly cotton blend
Kaylee49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

1, its not lined as its the same inside and out

2, i think what your seeing is a tissue type tracing/pattern paper, which would disolve when washed

3, ive never made anything yet, so im not sure, id think if the material will shrink then prewash, otherwise just make sure to measure while factoring in shrink and fitting

while looking for pattern try terms like longcoat, EGA(elegant gothic aristocrat)

if all else fails, use old ratty clothes and make small practice pieces first
like playing dress up with stuffed animals, just so you can visualize/practice the pattern

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 04-23-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Kaylee49

Thanks
Kaylee49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

also theres the tutorials section, there might be better info there,
cause like i said, i never done anything, so im realy not qualified to say much

if you decide that a single layer is too light, it might be easier to jump up to wool
instead of layering

layering, lining, and insulating all carry thier own little quirks,

remember, if you dont have a timeline to keep, then research till your confident
its always better to take the time, so your first try is satisfactory,

the first doesnt have to be perfect, but the less tries before you "get it right"
the more fun (and cheaper) it will be
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Naiagu
That one cosplayer

1) You don't need to put something on the inside if you don't want to. Most clothing doesn't because it makes the fabric really heavy to wear. Take a look at your jackets/sweaters. If you want an interior color then it would be a different story.

2) Umm... it could be Decor Bond, it looks like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...HL._SY300_.jpg here is a good article about what it's for: http://www.sewsweetness.com/2012/05/...terfacing.html

The other thing it could be is normal semi transparent pattern paper from when people make their own patterns. Other than that I'm not sure.

3) Yes. You should wash your fabric before sewing it. Fabric tends to shrink a little. Best to get it out of the way, you can cut your fabric and then wash but it's faster to just wash your fabric when it's not cut in case you end up making something else with the fabric, it's already been washed.

*I just started making my own stuff recently so I'm also learning a lot. I took a beginners fashion class during my time in art school (I needed a low level elective >_> ). I can't help a lot but if you have any questions I'd be happy to try to help and learn with you :3.
Sayaka (Puella Magi).....Progress 10%
Haruhi (OHSHC)............Progress 100%
Ruby (RWBY)...............Progress 80%

Cons for 2014:
Sac Anime Winter, AOD, NorCal Gathering Spring, Kraken Spring, EBRC Picnic, JPOP Summit, NorCal Gathering Summer, Magical Girls Gathering, Sac Anime Summer, Yaoi Con, Kraken Winter

Contact me: Tumblr, DA, FB Fan Page, Skype: Naiagu
Naiagu is offline   Reply With Quote