Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

Colored Contacts With Prescription?

I have been wearing regular contact lenses for about two years now and I have been thinking of buying colored contact lenses. If I do, I'll have to buy a pair with my prescription. Are there any colored contact stores that sells in color with a prescription?
Also, would I have to see my eye doctor if I receive color prescription lenses? It's difficult communicating with him since he lives at South Korea while I'm here in the U.S. I also do not know my own prescription. DX
All advice would be awesome. Thank you.
Yusei Fudo [Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds]

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Armin Arlet or Levi [Shingeki no Kyojin]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]
Aqua [Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

You could always put the color contacts over your regular contacts. It shouldn't effect you.
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

There's lots of online shops that have colour contacts in prescription (Pinky paradise does, and for more "typical" colours you can order them through an optometrist or places like 1-800-contacts), but you do need to get your prescription to safely/legally do so (Assuming you at least semi-regularly wear regular contacts, shouldn't the power and base curve be on the packaging?). If you already wear contacts I wouldn't say you HAVE to see him, but if you want to try out some of the colour lenses they'll carry in the office, it helps a lot for finding what you like BEFORE you buy. If you can't get in touch any way to ask him for your prescription (and legally, no, they can't withold it), you may just have to get a new exam done with another optometrist (also, most prescriptions are considered "expired" and thus invalid for purchasing with after about two years. If it's been more than that, you need an exam anyway).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suuki View Post
You could always put the color contacts over your regular contacts. It shouldn't effect you.
No. Do not do this. You should NEVER piggyback lenses unless your eye doctor says it's ok to.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Seraphy
Nagare~

You should be able to get your prescription from the packaging of your contacts. The boxes that contain the lens usually have them on the side. There are many stores that sell colored contacts in prescription, though the prescription (diameter, base curve, and available power) usually varies depending on the lens. If you're ordering online, you technically don't need to see your eye doctor (you just need to know your prescription). But it is highly recommended that you do see your eye doctor for your own health and safety.
Seraphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Reebz

I have been wearing colored contact lenses for a very long time now; and i always prefer to get them online. online buying saves you money as you can avail different promotions. I assume circle lenses has now become a very tough competitive business; but what else do we want ? it brings benefir for a normal customer.

I have tried from many online sites for big eye circle lenses; but i always have an excellent experience with uniqso. Their customer service is what everyone rave about; and oh yeah i agree too they are so friendly people. They have always high promotions up with circle lenses as cheap as $.
9.80. Also; their cosplay lenses are great too!
Reebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
No. Do not do this. You should NEVER piggyback lenses unless your eye doctor says it's ok to.
I don't listen to a lot of things.. Like I don't go to a doctor to buy contacts lenses. It seems unnecessary to me.. And a waste of money. But if you have more sensitive eyes, go right ahead.
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

Quote:
I don't listen to a lot of things.. Like I don't go to a doctor to buy contacts lenses. It seems unnecessary to me.. And a waste of money. But if you have more sensitive eyes, go right ahead.
It's mostly a combined concern with how much oxygen can get to your eye - which is highly important and why soft lenses have basically overthrown hard lenses for casual use - and with how well the lenses can grip to your eye to begin with. Piggybacking lenses makes it easier for the lenses to slip and not float properly, and lead to severe damage to your eye.

((Seriously, the oxygen thing is a huge issue; I'm fairly blind and have barely worn contacts in recent years due to allergies, but apparently developed some issues in one eye caused by a lack of oxygen, and that's with using them carefully and as instructed.))

It's not about sensitivity, it's about general safety and preventing yourself from being made permanently blind over a costume.

My advice to the OP - as stated before, if you have a box of your contacts (or the little containers they're in inside) handy, you've got your prescription, no worries! I generally try to hold onto the containers, or at least the foil seal, in case I lose the official little bit of paper they give you at the doctor's office.
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Then don't cry when you end up with eye problems that may be expensive or irreversible.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
AshofRebirth

Quote:
Also please don't give advice to others. You may not care that much about your health or see it as a waste of money, but someone very well may.

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

If you're looking for a store I've had good experiences with this site.
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'm sorry, but sight is our primary sense as humans - how is it NOT worth it to spend money to not risk our ability to see for some freaking transitory costume that most likely cost less money than LASIK ?

Risking going blind on your own for a costume is fine - people have the right to make their own poor choices. But don't advocate it to someone else as "you should be fine" when the risks to eye health are huge. At least be fair and let them know that if they're not lucky they could end up with permanent health problems.

@OP, you'll need to know your prescription and base curve to be able to buy them, but yes - they do sell fun/costume contacts in various strengths - if yours is not common it might take more shopping around than if it was but there are options.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
Rukeya

OP said they already wear contacts. You do not need a different prescription or fitting for theatrical lenses unless they are sclera lenses (the big'uns.)

If your prescription hasn't expired, try to call your Eye doctor to ask what your prescription is.

If your prescription has expired or you can't get in contact with your eye doctor, you can always just see a new eye doctor here in the states and get a new fitting.

If it has been two years since your last eye examination, you're likely due for an appointment anyway.

Last edited by Rukeya : 04-23-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Rukeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Boreotheria
n00b

Two pairs = bad idea, definitely. Aside from the fact that this just makes me think ow ow OW because I have a hard enough time getting one pair in and getting them to settle into place -- I'm an artist and I'm an astronomer. I need my eyeballs, dammit. Don't do stupid things to your eyeballs. Most people with healthy eyes don't think about what it would be like to be without them until it's too late.

Back on topic: if the coloured lenses are soft lenses and your prescription ones are too, you should be able to order the coloured ones by just reading your prescription off the side of the box. But if it's been two years since your last appointment you should definitely find a local doctor and get your eyes rechecked.

At your age your prescription may change faster than you notice; you won't realize how bad it's become until you get a new prescription and suddenly everything looks crystal clear. My prescription was changing every two years or so up until I was about twenty-five. After that it settled down and I actually started wearing out the frames of my glasses long before the lenses needed regrinding.

Last edited by Boreotheria : 04-23-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
Ichigo1994

I tried to find color contacts as well but my prescription was expired. It is a hassle to make a eye exam appointment and it cost quite a fortune every time I see my doctor. I decided to look for a store to get the color contacts online. But they all require a valid prescription. I came across a store call 1800Color from the Cosmo Magazine and I am so happy I found them! They sell a lot of color lenses and special effect lenses at really great prices. I finally got two pairs of lenses, Vampire Red and Sterling Gray without getting a new eye exam as I know the lenses will fit since my eyes have not changed. They are so exotic and I love them , especially the Sterling gray which I wear everyday. By the way, I find this 10% coupon code from Cosmo: colorcosmo123. And it actually works when you check out!
Ichigo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote