Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #136
IenzoRenaNipah

Like Squeesax, I love military uniforms to death, but wearing them outside of cons/re-enactments/house is NOT a good idea.

In my opinion, I don't think it's okay to wear a fully detailed, 100% accurate uniform at a con. Especially with a swastika. If you do that, you're begging to get beat up. On the Hetalia note, since their uniforms aren't that accurate, I believe it's okay. (As long as the Anime Boston 2010 incident doesn't happen again!)

That's my take on the situation, so.... *flies away*
IenzoRenaNipah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #137
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

I used to wear my 101st Airborne jump jacket around, and I always got a favorable response. Once, I was at a McDonalds and an 80 something year old guy came up who was IN the 101st in WWII came up and talked to me for a bit, and said it was like a blast from the past. There was another con where I wore a dress uniform (the ONE time it fit me) with the pea cutter, and we went out to eat, and two older ladies looked like they were having flashbacks. Another time, I wore it to a memorial day celebration at a military cemetary where they do the timeline and actually had a WWII vet thank me for wearing it that day. I've had a lot of good reactions to it. But yeah...doing so in a uniform that ISN'T American (or one of our allies) would probably get some pretty negative responses.

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #138
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
I used to wear my 101st Airborne jump jacket around, and I always got a favorable response. Once, I was at a McDonalds and an 80 something year old guy came up who was IN the 101st in WWII came up and talked to me for a bit, and said it was like a blast from the past. There was another con where I wore a dress uniform (the ONE time it fit me) with the pea cutter, and we went out to eat, and two older ladies looked like they were having flashbacks. Another time, I wore it to a memorial day celebration at a military cemetary where they do the timeline and actually had a WWII vet thank me for wearing it that day. I've had a lot of good reactions to it. But yeah...doing so in a uniform that ISN'T American (or one of our allies) would probably get some pretty negative responses.
No not really I do living history as a German from a couple of different units all Luft stuff and I have never had any issue's from vets. But I also would never wear a Dress Luft Uniform to any type of Cons
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #139
Boreotheria
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
No not really I do living history as a German from a couple of different units all Luft stuff and I have never had any issue's from vets. But I also would never wear a Dress Luft Uniform to any type of Cons
I suspect that people who are going to educational and reenactment type events understand more that someone has to play the Nazis, and that you're doing it as an actor and not because you espouse the beliefs of the political party whose uniforms you're wearing.

At a convention there's probably more of a sense that in general people play characters they like or identify with, and you might get more of a side-eye if you dress up as a Nazi-inspired fictional character like one from Hetalia or Hellsing.
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #140
Ranger Soldat

Prejudice makes me sick... What is wrong with what somebody wants to wear? If somebody wants to wear or like German Uniforms, so what? My whole life I have been taught to be Tolerant, not prejudice, accept others and not to judge... The whole thing is hypocritical... No body cares if you wear a Soviet Uniform and Stalin Killed 20 Million or so. Nobody cares if you wear a Commie Chinese Uniform and they killed 60 million... Lets not even start about how many Cultures Christianity has destroyed...

German Uniforms and German Cosplay is very cool... I guess its ok for a Transexual to show up wearing a diaper, but not ok to wear a Uniform designed by Hugo Boss... If the Third Reich is so offensive tell Hollywood to stop portraying them in movies so they can make millions and millions of dollars...
Ranger Soldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #141
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

I might be necroposting here....

Not sure if anyone else who is in the actual military (or were) posted here. So, I figure I'd add my two cents, and excuse me if these were brought up earlier.

When it comes to era reenactment, I think its perfectly fine if someone wears to a con. In a sense, the person probably did put as much research time and money into a reenactment uniform. Trust me, this stuff isn't cheap if you do anything prior to the 80's...

And personally I don't think anything bad if someone young is wearing a uniform from the past. As long he isn't defiling a fallen member's uniform or something like that (you'll find that a lot of collectors/reenactors will only wear reproductions out and not originals, this being one of the reasons). Also, there are reenactors of all ages, even those not old enough to be allowed to join the military. My main thing is as long they aren't wearing modern day uniforms with the proper branch tapes and insignia, and definitely as long as they don't take it anymore than a cosplay/reenactment/costume. With that, I mean lying and impersonating a military member for some sort of gain. That is the real problem, right there. Generally though, most reenactors have a great respect of the actual military and history not to do anything like

Now, when it comes to wearing uniforms that are "less then acceptable", in terms of Nazi uniforms and the Swastika mainly, you really have to be careful with it. Yes, I have to hark on the whole Anime Boston 2010 thing myself. I don't think it deserves to be at a con, unless you are a specific character, and with that, still don't have the Eagle, Swastika, SS runes and skulls and such all over. If you came in a Nazi SS uniform, with out the markings, you'll get your point across and a lot of people would be made happy. Keep the markings for hollywood, reenactment, plays/stage, or anything museum or historical related. And of course, be mature about it.

And, I do have the same feeling as a lot of others might have with the Nazi uniforms. Even though the Nazis were the epitome of modern day evil, you can't digress that their uniforms and technology was absurdly stylish. So, then what do you to cosplay something like that to a con, you might ask?

Easy, cosplay something that has been artistically inspired by them. Ever since JinRoh and the Kerburos Saga, there has been plenty of Nazi based designs, without the Swastika or any of the legit markings. Even now, there is an entire game series which the bad guys are based off the Nazis and JinRoh; Killzone. Plenty of good designs there to choose from. Plenty Nazi without the Nazi markings.

Eh, just my two cents though. The way I basically feel is, its cool if you do, "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery" or something... As long you aren't pretending to be an actual military member and lie about it to everyone. Now, THAT IS NOT COOL BY ANY MEANS.

2014 cons: Whatever happens down in Pensacola or where ever life takes me!

Deviant Art - http://scarlet-impaler.deviantart.com/
Facebook - www.facebook.com/marluxia.tepes
eBay Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #142
thompa

Quote:
Nazi SS uniform
If you were a member of the Wehrmacht or SS you weren't allowed to be a member of the N.S.D.A.P (Nazi party) and if you were a member you had to resign your membership if you joined up.
thompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #143
XxEmo SasukexX
Roleplayer and Cosplayer~

I'm in the process of getting a paratrooper uniform together and was planning on wearing it to a con but then I stumbled across this thread. Do you think it would be alright to wear this to a convention? I planned on wearing it to Otakon.. I've been very excited about it but I never thought about people taking offense to it.

http://xxemosasukexx.deviantart.com/
XxEmo SasukexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #144
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

The real question lies with what country and if you planned on wearing any symbols? Like the Swastika or the Eagle holding it, etc etc.

Unread 12-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #145
XxEmo SasukexX
Roleplayer and Cosplayer~

It's going to be a Band of Brothers cosplay--101st Airborne Division. It will have that patch and I was thinking about the US Airborne flag patch but that's it.

http://xxemosasukexx.deviantart.com/
XxEmo SasukexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #146
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

Oh, that should be fine then. You should only worry about patches and insignia if you are doing a Nazi, lol.

Unread 03-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #147
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxEmo SasukexX View Post
It's going to be a Band of Brothers cosplay--101st Airborne Division. It will have that patch and I was thinking about the US Airborne flag patch but that's it.
Well if your going to do something from BoB may I suggest you do some research because the type of Screaming Eagles Patch they wore on D-Day is different then the one that the present 101st use, also when you say your going to do a Paratrooper outfit our you talking about what they woe after hitting the ground or what thy wore on the drop, because the two are very different and since you plan on wearing this at Otakon if you decide to do the Drop Uniform then you might find it rather hot to wear. Don't forget when they jumped while it was June 6th the outside temp coming out of the Goonys was 12 degrees hence why they had heavy jackets on plus they carried everything in their bags.

If you live in Bmore or Penn may I suggest you try and attend WWII Weekend Airshow at Reading Penn it has the largest gathering of re-actors including 4 different Screaming Eagle Units you can get a better idea on what they wore plus they do a jump, this year the German Airborne Unit I belong to will be doing a jump for the first time.
Unread 06-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #148
Rcsi1

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but can anyone recommend a tutorial for making a prop M1 Garand?
Rcsi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #149
Star Schnauzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsi1 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but can anyone recommend a tutorial for making a prop M1 Garand?

Might be easier to buy a resin copy of one...most are under $300

Costumes Completed
Rock & Benny Black Lagoon
Sir Integra Hellsing(rule 63) & Hellsing Merc
Mina Hazuki (rule 63) Darker than Black 2 & Black Reaper Darker Than Black 1-2
Zwei---Phantom of Inferno
Star Gate SG-1
Soul Eater--Spirit
MHI "Lizard Hunters", "Los Alamos" Branch MHI
MCB agent/operator
Desert Punk
S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot