Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 04-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
choushu clan

Original Character Cosplay in a 'normal' Cosplay Competition

Hi All,

Recently I have been told that at a local con, they will be allowing Original Characters to compete against normal cosplay characters. I personally dont think that this is fair or makes much sense as OC's should be judged as a seperate category. How can you hold someone who designed and made their own character to the same standard of accuracy and character presentation and portrayal as someone who is recreating a known character?? How are you to know that the person achieved what they set out to achieve and didnt fail, I could easily draw the character I created and present that as a concept sketch. How can you tell an OC creator that their interpretation of their own character is wrong? To me the two should remain seperate and have rules which apply to their different creative processes.

Let me know your thoughts,
choushu clan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

i would believe/hope that in such a case,
the judging wouldnt be looking at costume/character accuracy,
but only at the skill deemed required to make the costume its self
or how good/clean your stitching is

since it wouldnt be cheap/easy to always have people knowledgible of
or involved in anime and or character design (as pertaining to anime)

also some judges do, only look at stitching and not innovation or creativity or
how accurate a character/OC is as far as "belonging" in whatever anime

its one of those things youd really want to look into who the judges are and what thier
actual expertise/background is

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 04-04-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Honestly, accuracy is only a small part of judging, so it's not as big a deal as you might think. Yes, it's important to make sure the costume is accurate to the design if it's a recreation, but often people doing recreations don't even bring in reference so I have no way of knowing how accurate it is if it's not something I'm familiar with. It's impossible for all judges to be intimately familiar with every anime/game/comic/movie/whatever.

The way I judge an original design is pretty much the same way I judge a recreation costume:
- neatness and quality of construction
- good fit on the body
- good design. Do all the parts work together visually or is it a mess? For original designs there's more control, but even on recreations there's choices of material, colour choices, trim choices etc. that can make or break an outfit.
- interesting/innovative use of materials

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
EelKat
Bride of Sesshomaru

I have been CosPlaying longer than most people (since the late 1970s), won several contests, and in my 30s started life acting (living 24 hours a day 7 days a week "in costume" - I don't own a shred of "normal" cloths now), my costumes have ranged from anime, cartoons, manga, comics, movies, tv shows, literature figures, historical reenactment, SCA personas, and original characters. In all my time I have never once seen a contest that judged based on "character accuracy", heck half the time the judges don't have a clue who most of the characters they are judging even are.

I'm thinking too that perhaps you are misinformed as to what CosPlay is. The term was created in the 1960s by members of the SCA and means "Costumed Role Playing". These original folks ALWAYS did original characters, usually Medieval. It wasn't until the 1970's that super hero costumes, Dungeons and Dragons, LoTR, Star Trek, and Star Wars got added to the trend. Cartoon characters got added in the 1980s, and Japan did not add anime, manga, and video game characters into CosPlay until the 1990s. Sure by 2000's the anime and manga character took over, but CosPlay started out as people LARPing their original characters. It baffles me when young folks come in saying it's all about anime and manga and NOTHING else. Nope. Original characters have always been a part of CosPlay and excluding them is well snobbish.

Anyways, I find what you are saying to be odd, because I've been doing this for 30 years and it has always been my experience that judges, judge based on workmanship, neat stitches, even seams, sturdy materials, lack of hot glue, fit to the wearer, eye appeal, etc, etc, etc. They want to see a costume that is well made, they couldn't care less who the character is.

The only time I can think of where I've ever heard of costume being judged by accuracy is at Star Wars Cons where they judge Slave Leias and Storm Troopers by a strict checklist - I've never heard of it being done outside of a Star Wars Con.

I silk, kimonos, and pretty men in fur boas!

Some thoughts on making a Sesshomaru costume historically accurate.

My Sewing & CosPlay Blog (where to find out what I'm working on now.)
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Amanita

^Hear, hear!
Before we got absolutely spoiled for choice with the sheer amount of visual media we have now, a lot of con cosplayers either made their own original characters or based their costumes on the descriptions written in their favorite books. So it grinds my gears when I hear original cosplay being denigrated and looked down on -it's what got cosplay started!
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
Carns

I would enter than contest as myself lol
Carns is offline   Reply With Quote