Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > A-Kon

Unread 02-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Mystic~
aka Darth Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyddon View Post
That is a great idea, actually. I'll work on it this weekend if I have time, next weekend if I don't.

Here's a list I posted elsewhere awhile ago, some of this info maybe outdated, but it should be a good start for you.

These are all hotels nearby, within a mile or less. All prices are for your standard rooms, two Queens or one King, for the weekend of May 31st – June 3rd. These are most likely not going to be the rates for A-Kon 24, but it gives a rough idea of hotel costs. I'm guessing we'll see some of these announced as overflow hotels soon, with the con rate.

Across I-35 we have...

The Marriot Renaissance Dallas Hotel

$109 – 229 per night

Self Parking is complimentary, valet is $15 daily, mini fridges in room. I wouldn't stay here unless they do shuttles, since being across the highway makes it pretty impractical.

Across Wycliff

Hilton Garden Inn Dallas Market Center

$119 – 139 per night

Free parking, free wifi, mini fridges and microwaves in hotel rooms.

This looks like the best bet in my opinion. It's a pretty short walk, and you can bring some home cooked meals to reheat and not worry about ordering in or driving up 35 for food.

Along Market blvd

Fairfield Inn and Suites Market Center
(Part of the Marriott family)

$79 – 119 / night; One night charged up front.

Complimentary breakfast, internet, and parking. King suites come with a microwave and minifridge.

Best Western Market Center

$73 - 86 / night

Smoking and non-smoking, complimentary breakfast and wifi.

Double Tree Hotel
(Hilton)

$199-209 / night

Doesn't look like this one really has anything special to offer.

Across Market Blvd

Sheraton Suites Market Center

$115 – 149 / night

Parking is extra.

Courtyard Dallas Market Center
(Marriot)

$89 – 129 / night

Complimentary Wifi. There's also a Bistro located inside serving breakfast from 6:30 a.m. - 10 a.m. Monday - Friday; 7:00 a.m. - 11 a.m. Saturday-Sunday, and dinner from 5:00 p.m. - 10 p.m. everyday. King suites come with a microwave, mini fridge, and separate room.
Mystic~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #17
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

You are so helpful.

I did the base map this evening between bouts of homework, so I'll add these to it. (Some of these I'll need the base address so that I can mark their location on my map.)

Note that the Hilton Garden Inn and the Fairfield Inn, according to their booking websites, are completely sold out during A-Kon weekend. That was as of 6pm this evening, using May 30-June 2, 4 adults as the booking criteria. The Hilton Anatole is completely sold out of double queens. (It may be that the Garden Inn is the new overflow, but I don't know that as a fact. I'm guessing because they're both in the Hilton family, along with the Doubletree.)
Celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

I have added a map of alternate hotels in the area. It's linked on our homepage beneath the maps and documents for the Hilton Anatole. I will add it to the Complete Guide aggregate download tomorrow.

Again, if there's anything I can add, let me know. Please feel free to re-link to the Guide, provided it is for non-commercial use. I would appreciate being given credit as well. ^_^
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Please note that A-Kon has announced their overflow hotels on their website. If you attempt reservations at any of the three hotels only to find 'none available for these dates', please be patient--A-Kon is trying to get this resolved ASAP.

Also note that all of the surrounding hotels are filling very quickly due to the sheer number of people that will be attending A-Kon. If you intend on getting a room, it's recommended that you do so sooner rather than later. Chances are good that you will be unable to find a decent room by the end of April. Also, if you want/need a room share, now is the time to be asking. A-Kon has their 'forums' on Facebook, and you must be a member of Facebook to post there.

Alternatively, I have started a thread in the past for room shares on these boards--I can revive it if there is need for those who aren't on Facebook. (Please note: I believe you must be a registered member of CosCom to post on these boards as well.)

Next month I will begin the Events calendar and update the alternate hotel map with recent information about booking.

Ja ne!
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Just a quick bump for the Complete Guide.

Note that if you haven't gotten a hotel room by this point, your options will be very limited anywhere close to the convention hotel. Many hotels are sold out; there is always the option of waiting for someone to cancel their room, but that doesn't always pan out.

Also, if you need transportation to the convention, there is a Guide to Public Transportation in the Complete Guide, including maps of routes, links to schedules, and fares. DART is far cheaper than parking for the weekend, believe me.
Unread 04-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #21
Papersak

Question from A-kon n00blet; is it humanly possible to park at one of the nearby hotels? I got a room at Hilton Garden months ago, but I doubt they actually check if you have a room before letting people park freely... or maybe they do check, and hotel customers can actually park, I don't know, but that sounds like wishful thinking.
Papersak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #22
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papersak View Post
Question from A-kon n00blet; is it humanly possible to park at one of the nearby hotels? I got a room at Hilton Garden months ago, but I doubt they actually check if you have a room before letting people park freely... or maybe they do check, and hotel customers can actually park, I don't know, but that sounds like wishful thinking.
They are checking, actually. I called the Marriott and the Sheraton about this and they will enforce towing for any cars that are not paying guests.

So for anyone thinking about doing this? Don't push your luck. Dallas is not afraid to boot or tow your car if you are parking where you shouldn't be. Just suck it up and pay the fee at the Anatole.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Dallas is actually very strict about towing and booting. It's well-known among veteran con-goers that chances are near 100% if you're parking in the wrong place, you WILL be booted and/or towed. The hotels will, depending on the chain, take down license plate numbers or ask about the car you're driving to verify against when the tow truck comes around.

To be honest, if you need a parking space and you're NOT staying at one of the area hotels (or don't feel like paying the Anatole rates), just go park at the Dallas Market Center. It's entirely free parking, and you don't have to be a vendor to use it. Yes, you'll have to walk a little, but that's the case with any of the other hotel lots, to be honest. You won't have the higher risk of towing at the Market Center.
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #24
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

I have a basic Events calendar done and will add it to the Guide this weekend. I'll also try to update the hotel listings. I'm still waiting on the A-Kon schedule to add it.
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #25
PepMaster

Hey Celyddon, as for your recommendation for making a post for room shares, I think that will help a lot of people out, also maybe a thread for people with room share space to offer. I've found my room, but it would definitely help others out this close to the con.
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Actually, there was a post I made about roomshares. (It still exists in the forum, but because I hadn't updated it in 30 days, it goes hidden.) Lemme see if I can find it and restore it.

**edit** Found and restored it. It's visible in the forum now.

Last edited by Celyddon : 05-02-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #27
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

I created a grid with all the cosplay photoshoots on it (both official and unofficial), and I'll be adding that to the Guide this weekend.

Unless there's anything else, I will call this Guide truly Complete and sit back and relax. For some definition of 'relax' before a giant convention.