Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #226
Tovwig

I've just joined so my apologies if this is not the place, but I'm hoping to make a Margaery costume with her dresses from the current season. I don't know how to make a pattern, although I can sew once I have one. I'm wondering if anybody would be willing to help me make a pattern?

Dress:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...t0302-1825.jpg
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...t0302-1803.jpg
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...t0302-0523.jpg
Tovwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #227
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'm between Jon Snow and Jamie Lannister right now. I'm thinking I might have to bump this to next year because I'm not willing to compromise on materials and I've already spent $300 on my other costume. Jon's cloak is what makes it and I was in the market for dead animals once and remember how much they cost, and I'm pretty sure a knee-length leather jacket would still take two full hides for me.

If I can find a cheap dead animal (or maybe one I already have around would work, I have a coat with some dead raccoons all over it that I've been meaning to do something with or get rid of), I could do this one, but that cloak still looks like at least four yards of wool, probably more like 6-8.

I love the King's Guard armor in the show on its own, but I'm making pauldrons alone right now and would want to see how that goes first before committing to all that.

I also considered Joffrey for the lulz and because I could make this fairly easily , but that fabric. I know they make fabric just for the show and my ability to compromise is seriously underdeveloped and I should really work on that.

Not fair that my friends picked the two of the few costumes that can be reasonably accomplished with cheaper materials. *shakefist* They'd be doing Daenerys and Drogo (in the case of the latter, just fewer materials in general and I feel like he could get away with pleather for the pants if he had to since they're not the focus of the costume). I'll be helping them so if they do theirs this year I'll post pictures of them at least.

Edit: Decided on Jon Snow because I remember that I live in a place where it's almost May and we just got sleet again. So by the time I finish this I'm sure I'll be able to go outside and make snow angels and get some pictures featuring our tragic weather.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan

Last edited by Kelley : 04-24-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #228
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Remember, if you're doing Joffrey...NO FLOWERS! Dude HATES him some flowers.

(now I want to take a picture of a Joff costumer stomping angrily on flowers)

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'

Last edited by dagmarus : 04-24-2013 at 07:03 PM.
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #229
Kelley
Devil of Details

It would be so much fun, I'd really gotten into the idea after friends had suggested it - but the fabric is doing a great job of not being found. I found something I'd be willing to compromise on at my usual place, but they only had 1.5 yards left and I figured I'd need more like 4-5 yards (and it's on clearance, so it's probably never going to be seen again). I have some ideas as to taking a suitable velvet, doing burn-outs, and painting the exposed backing, but having already committed to making chainmail for a different costume this summer, I don't quite have the time.

I've found a LOT of black wool on sale, though, so I'm going to go crazy with swatches and hopefully they label them when they send them to me and hopefully at least a few of them aren't crap. It would cut the fabric cost in half, that would be pretty great.

My mom is the opposite of my anal-retentive crazy (I don't really know how, she's the one that freeze-framed movies to make our Halloween costumes when we were kids) and wants to make an Arya costume. I see either wolf plushies or a lot of squinting people asking "who are you supposed to be ?" in our future. :P

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:49 AM   #230
siyrean

leaving for the Ice and Fire con tomorrow. My dress isn't quite done but I hope to finish it before I go. ><

Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver. Emma Swan OUaT, Queen of Mars Archer
Teslacon: Steampunk
Ice and Fire con:
Anime North:
Colossal con:
Apop:
DragonCon:

siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #231
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

i just bought my wig for Daenerys...and now im trying to figure out how to make her outfit.
I plan on doing her dothraki outfit with the very coarse woven top. Can anyone tell me what kid of fabric i should use for her shirt and that piece on her skirt? im thinking the coarsest fabric is burlap...but that doesnt even seem to have enough thick weaving that it should have.
the other fabric would be easy, a suede or something leathery without actually being thick heavy leather.
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #232
GlassCannon

I looked for *months* for fabric for the top when I made my Dany cosplay -- in fact, it was the reason I started this thread! -- and found absolutely nothing that was even close. I ended up knitting the fabric from scratch, then weaving bits of string and yarn through the knitting to get the look I wanted (there are pics of it in-progress in my profile, if you're curious). In the year and a half since then, higher-rez pictures of that top have been released, which to me make it look like the top is woven from a combination of thin leather strips and horse hair, which makes sense given the Dothraki society. But in the years since I started looking, I've never seen any commercial fabric of any type that would be a reasonable match. I think a lot of people end up using burlap, at least as a base, but since the fabric for the top is one area where all Daenerys cosplayers struggle, it can also be a chance to do something creative that no one else has thought of yet and stand out from the pack.
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #233
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

it looks almost....kind of like a rug weaving >_> i wonder if there are any small brownish rugs i can destroy. I can not knit or weave anything for the life of me. sewing...easy...kniting....it never works >_>
i was discussing it with my sister and she said i could braid a lot of leather strips and sew them all onto a base..but i dont know how that would end of working

thanks for your help though! X3
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #234
TehKittah94

I'm going to be doing "unburnt" dany for NC Animazement and i was just wondering if any of you guys knew of a good way to get the dragons to "cling" to you? my current plan is to mold an armature around me and then use paper clay to sculpt the little guys. Does anyone know of a better way of doing this?
TehKittah94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #235
TehKittah94

btw all of your cosplays look amazing! so jealous
TehKittah94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #236
Kelley
Devil of Details

@siyrean, have fun.

I feel like for a lot of these costumes the goal is that it "reads" well, instead of necessarily being exact.

@GlassCannon, what you've done looks really amazing. It's the kind of thing where even if it's not exactly the same, I bet people come up to you and say it looks perfect.

The creativity, effort, and care put into the costumes on the show is beyond ridiculous. I really love that and one of the reasons I want to try my hand at doing a passable costume from it.

The artistry on even these "raggedy" pieces is amazing check out this picture : http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Graphics...aenerys_02.png

On the "skirt" detail piece you can see that at the top there's a hunk of leather that's been cut into lace-size cords and has had the brown material woven into it horizontally (not sure if the white horizontal parts are just those turning or not - makes sense that the top was more carefully woven to avoid that).

If the stuff on the top that's dark brown is the consistency of leather lacing, the white being something more like strips of buckskin which would account for it being so tight and flat (in comparison to if you tried to weave two things as thick as the brown seems to be) - it looks like something like buckskin used on the bottom waistband and cut/woven part, too (buckskin is really thin and springy). You can even see hand-work done on the edges so that it doesn't come apart - it looks like the brown is run back and forth multiple times and tied-off on the side when it runs out.

There's a similar blue-ish top that looks woolier, but with the same white strips going vertically (and the stripes look like they're done decoratively over the top with flatly-arranged (could even be woven strips) strands of something like thread).

If you wanted to, I think weaving something like that is obtainable even if it's really way more than you have to do to get people to immediately recognise it. Though I'd sure "invisibly" line that thing with some fabric that wouldn't be bumpy and rough. I have a jacket with horse hair canvas (that I didn't make) and it's ungodly poke-y (the jacket is like over 100 years old so it has an excuse for canvas wearing through enough to become a weapon), it's like little spikes needling at you. Just saying so that if anyone tries it, fair warning. It also warps a ridiculous amount when wet (I've used it in jackets that I've made), which is great to shape stuff, but not so much if you want to clean it.

I wouldn't go with braiding the whole top, I think it would end up really bulky, although it could work for the neck-band part (hers looks like a bunch of laces held together with wraps around them and then braided, but I didn't really see a picture without her hair in the way and we only have the show on Blu Ray and I don't have a player on this computer :P).

@TehKittah94, I responded in your Prop forum thread, I think.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #237
plaidskoogrl

I'm working on the same outfit. I thought about using burlap but the ones at Joanne's Fabrics smelled horrible and were very...I don't know how else to explain it since I don't know anything about clothing terms but it was...hairy? I ended up with a some sort of material that is supposed to be for upholstery but it was the closest to the top I could find. I don't have it on me but next time I'm at my friend's working on it I'll post a picture. I also spent way more than I wanted to buying leather and skins from a local shop in town but oh well, hopefully it'll look really awesome once it's put together!
plaidskoogrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #238
plaidskoogrl

Question also for bustier ladies who have done Daenerys' Dothraki outfit...did you just wear a strapless bra or did you sew cups on or went au naturel?
plaidskoogrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #239
Kelley
Devil of Details

Yeah, their burlap is jute - so it's got really itchy, scratchy fibres. Burlap is basically a really, really cheap utilitarian fabric that's used for stuff like literally potato sacks - so it's not something you want against your skin !

eBay is a great source for leather and lots of things (the GoT TV costume designer has even used it for things on the show!)! You might have gotten a better deal in person, though, sometimes it works that way.

As for bra or not, I'd at least wear pasties or something in case someone is rude and tries to take a compromising picture or if something happens to the top and it pops open or something. Otherwise, I would build in or wear as much support as you think will make you comfortable. Cosplaying doesn't need to be something you sacrifice comfort for if you don't want to - and it's definitely possible to hide a strapless or even "halter" style bra under that top, so no need to suffer and win-win!

--
I've switched plans and think I'll do a Ser Loras costume instead. I've been wanting to make more armor for a while and need to order some craft foam/Wonderflex/Worbla for my other costume this summer, anyway. I'll fake the chainmail for at least this year, I already have to make some for that other costume and I'd still like fingers and sanity in the fall (there's a joke here, I can smell it).

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #240
chiigusa
House Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidskoogrl View Post
Question also for bustier ladies who have done Daenerys' Dothraki outfit...did you just wear a strapless bra or did you sew cups on or went au naturel?
I wore a strapless bra with mine since my fabric was pretty scratchy. I didn't have any problems with it being seen.
chiigusa is offline   Reply With Quote