Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 04-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Size of contact- Blue for Bioshock Infinite

Hi everyone! Im planning on cosplaying Elizabeth from the new Bioshock Infinite and have decided to try using contacts all day. I have a pair of blue contacts but they aren't the collor I want.

I've worn contacts before, mostly the Crazy Contact and Wild Contact kind from Downtown LA ((Never hurt my eyes before so cheers.))Heres a comparison, left is without and right is with
White out

All black

And the current blue I have.

https://www.pinkyparadise.com/Pretty...crystal-bl.htm

These are the ones Im planning on getting, or want to atleast. My question is I've never actually looked into the size of my contacts and what not...Its never been a problem but now that it needs a certain size, I don't know what to do! If you can make a guess as to what size are the ones Im wearing above, that would be SO HELPFUL GOD. Even a darker color for her perhaps?

Thanks!
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Boreotheria
n00b

I'm assuming you don't have a prescription for contacts and have just been winging it, which is a bad idea* because it can strain your eyes unnecessarily or even damage them. Don't risk it. See an eye doctor and get a prescription for contacts, so that when you're buying non-prescription contacts you aren't buying something that's completely wrong for your eye.

If you do already have some prescription contacts, the prescription is printed on the package and you should just be able to read it off. I'm guessing that for non-prescription lenses the sizing information they want are the BC (curvature) and DIA (diameter) numbers.

*I seriously typed "eyedea" first.
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Akune-chan

I think the ones that you have on right now are 14.2mm.

Usually the width of a person's iris is around 14mm so the ones you are looking at would cover an extra mm around your eye. In my opinon contacts that are 14.8mm and up are specifically made in order to give you that anime/doll look to your eyes. I am not sure who the character is that you are cosplaying but I would go for something that is 14.5mm or less so you can avoid looking "cute" and "anime like".

The ones I have are the Dolly Eye Lenses in Blue. You can see them here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...r&notif_t=like
They are 14.2 mm so they allow your eyes to breath more than a contact lens that's 14.5mm or higher.

Though as Boreotheria said above, get your eyes checked out first by an eye doctor. You only have one set of eyes so why risk it?
Unread 04-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Ok, so I went to the eye doctor and managed to sneak in this question. His response was to make sure the seller has correct information about the contacts and to bring in a pair next time WITH the bottle.

The current label for my green ones say

SPH: 0.00
EXP:02/13
LOT:HJB04K26G15

Im guessing the first is size, second no clue but random guess as to maybe...the second color out of the thirteen they're selling?
The last one Im not even guessin..
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Boreotheria
n00b

SPH means sphere and is also sometimes given as PWR or power. Basically it means how strong a lens it is. 0.00 means it doesn't have a power and is not a correcting lens, it's just cosmetic.

I think the second number is just an expiry date and the third is a serial number, so those aren't part of the prescription.

Did you get an actual prescription from the eye doctor, or do you not need any correcting contacts or glasses at all?
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Pheasants

Hi,
I know going to the 'eye doctor' or optician can be expensive, but what you could try is this:
Some opticians, if you go in and ask for 'blank' or plano contact lenses will give you a set free, so you could get these, which will have all the size/shape details on them.

But- I recognize the brands you currently have, and I have used them when my circle lenses have been lost/had not arrived in time, and they fit me and my spec is the same as those you are looking at on pinky paradise, so if they fit fine, the PP should be fine.

But do remember to clean them, clean the case, and change the case every three months.

(Before anyone asks I have glasses, from the 'eye doctor' and have been fitted and measured for contact lenses, and wear them more often than glasses)
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreotheria View Post
SPH means sphere and is also sometimes given as PWR or power. Basically it means how strong a lens it is. 0.00 means it doesn't have a power and is not a correcting lens, it's just cosmetic.

I think the second number is just an expiry date and the third is a serial number, so those aren't part of the prescription.

Did you get an actual prescription from the eye doctor, or do you not need any correcting contacts or glasses at all?
Mo, my eyesight is 20/20 if thats what you mean ^^
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasants View Post
Hi,
I know going to the 'eye doctor' or optician can be expensive, but what you could try is this:
Some opticians, if you go in and ask for 'blank' or plano contact lenses will give you a set free, so you could get these, which will have all the size/shape details on them.

But- I recognize the brands you currently have, and I have used them when my circle lenses have been lost/had not arrived in time, and they fit me and my spec is the same as those you are looking at on pinky paradise, so if they fit fine, the PP should be fine.

But do remember to clean them, clean the case, and change the case every three months.

(Before anyone asks I have glasses, from the 'eye doctor' and have been fitted and measured for contact lenses, and wear them more often than glasses)
Alright, I was just concerned about the brand and size really..If the brands not trusted, majority of my contacts are going out the window. I won't use something that'll shrivel up my eye, ya know?

I've seen alot about Pinky paradise so I decided to try a pair out from there...Quick question, people always say "Circle lenses" like theres another kind? I've only seen/used circle contacts but saw a cosplay pair that were squared shape?
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
Pheasants

Pinky paradise's brands are, from my experiance, good quality.
Circle lenses enlarge the size of the iris and are really vibrent in colour.

But before buying, read all the reviews you can find so you know what to expect.
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasants View Post
Pinky paradise's brands are, from my experiance, good quality.
Circle lenses enlarge the size of the iris and are really vibrent in colour.

But before buying, read all the reviews you can find so you know what to expect.
Alright uvu, plus I've seen the real photos they've added on some of people wearing them and they seem great ouo

Of course, I made that mistake a few times when I started cosplaying a few years back.