Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
jusdepomme
Beyond Dreams Cosplay

For the advance wig panel, you should ask Celtic_Sakura, she is in the Arda Iron Wig challenge and she is awesome!

For myself, I would like to see a panel about draping techniques and how to use it. I usually try to modify a pattern but I would love to learn how to use these techniques instead. Engineering with big props, how to make them and make sure they won't crumble. Costume on a budget, how to use everyday stuff to make extra-ordinary accessories etc.

Follow your dreams, who knows where they'll get you?

jusdepomme is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #17
EmpressofSquee
Random Squee Generator

Like some others have mentioned, I'd like to know more about patterns, drafting, modifying, etc. and it would be wonderful if one of the more experienced seamstresses could give a panel on fabrics (fibres, weaves, properties and appropriate selection) I agree that an advanced wig panel would also be great.

I'm bringing a friend with me who could do a Baroque dance workshop and she teaches other styles too. Burlesque anyone?

While I'm not a professional, I do have some training so I might be able to offer a basic stage-combat workshop for punches, slaps, kicks, hair-pulls, etc. I could also do pastie-making, which would have to be 18+ and require a fee for materials.

This will be my first Costume-Con and I'M SO EXCITED!!!

Cosplay 2013:

Anime North: Princess!Dory (Finding Nemo), Mrs. Brisby (Secret of NIMH, the hubby is doing Nicodemus!)
Otakuthon: TBD

Costume Con 32 Super-special-awesome-chocolatey-coated-secret cosplay!
EmpressofSquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

...okay, while I personally don't need any pasties, I think that is a REALLY COOL idea for a workshop and you should do it.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #19
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressofSquee View Post
I could also do pastie-making, which would have to be 18+ and require a fee for materials.

This will be my first Costume-Con and I'M SO EXCITED!!!

It think that would be super fun. XD I'll contact you about it soon.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #20
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
...okay, while I personally don't need any pasties, I think that is a REALLY COOL idea for a workshop and you should do it.
Wait. Wait. Where is the original mention of the pasties workshop? I do burlesque and really would like to learn to make pasties better, particularly of heavier materials (making gems and thin fabrics stick is one thing... heavier materials totally another). I know this isn't traditional Costume-Con fare, but some of us make costumes for purposes other than historical reenactment, cosplay, and stage presentations. Burlesque requires costumes that are both danceable and easily removable. It's sort of a special area of costuming.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
EmpressofSquee
Random Squee Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
Wait. Wait. Where is the original mention of the pasties workshop? I do burlesque and really would like to learn to make pasties better, particularly of heavier materials (making gems and thin fabrics stick is one thing... heavier materials totally another).
Greetings fellow booty-shaker! Oh, I've been making pasties for ... years now. Never been to Costume-Con so I didn't know if anything like this had ever been done before.

(Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat!)

Cosplay 2013:

Anime North: Princess!Dory (Finding Nemo), Mrs. Brisby (Secret of NIMH, the hubby is doing Nicodemus!)
Otakuthon: TBD

Costume Con 32 Super-special-awesome-chocolatey-coated-secret cosplay!
EmpressofSquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #22
KuroBara
dog of the military

I'm so excited for Costume Con 32! I've only been to the recent one in New Jersey, and I was a little disappointed by the lack of hands-on workshops there. For example, the wings workshop showed some great finished projects, but no in-progress photos or other visual breakdowns on how they were made. The sewing machine specialty feet workshop was interesting, but there was no way to try anything out, just passing around the feet and in some cases showing the finished project. It would be cool to actually let people try out a ruffle foot, as it's a very intimidating-looking item! (It did inspire me to buy one right after the convention, lol)

The ease / patterning workshops sound great. I'm always up for a workshop (or 2, or 3) on specialty makeup, mold-making & casting, embroidery machines, integrating electronics into costumes, how to use specialty equipment (it seems like laser cutting, 3-D printing and pepakura are growing in popularity, but how do you break into that?)

I always enjoy talking to the veterans of costuming- how did you put a group together before the internet? How did the ICG come into existence? Where do you think it's all headed?
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroBara View Post
I always enjoy talking to the veterans of costuming- how did you put a group together before the internet? How did the ICG come into existence? Where do you think it's all headed?
YESSS. I mean, the future of the ICG and costuming in general is a topic even the ICG board itself may discuss, but for non-members, they may really benefit from having some insight into the ICG - what it does, how it started, etc. I would love to get some veterans up on a panel to talk about how it was in the good old days before the interwebs. Great idea!!

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #24
von Drago
Well, you're wrong!

History

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
YESSS. I mean, the future of the ICG and costuming in general is a topic even the ICG board itself may discuss, but for non-members, they may really benefit from having some insight into the ICG - what it does, how it started, etc. I would love to get some veterans up on a panel to talk about how it was in the good old days before the interwebs. Great idea!!
There's plenty of stories if you really like to hear the history. You'd need Pierre Pettinger, Marty Gear, Karen Schnaubelt, Sally Fink; maybe Kevin Roche too - he's been around longer than you think.
Or we can just hang out in the bar and I can tell stories
2010 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
2012 recipient Costume-Con Founders Award

Annual Conventions: Costume-Con, Archon
von Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #25
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroBara View Post
I'm so excited for Costume Con 32! I've only been to the recent one in New Jersey, and I was a little disappointed by the lack of hands-on workshops there. For example, the wings workshop showed some great finished projects, but no in-progress photos or other visual breakdowns on how they were made. The sewing machine specialty feet workshop was interesting, but there was no way to try anything out, just passing around the feet and in some cases showing the finished project. It would be cool to actually let people try out a ruffle foot, as it's a very intimidating-looking item! (It did inspire me to buy one right after the convention, lol)

The ease / patterning workshops sound great. I'm always up for a workshop (or 2, or 3) on specialty makeup, mold-making & casting, embroidery machines, integrating electronics into costumes, how to use specialty equipment (it seems like laser cutting, 3-D printing and pepakura are growing in popularity, but how do you break into that?)
Specialty feet = YES! This should be done again. You hardly get any instructions with them. None, in some cases.

I've submitted a workshop on the particular makeup in which I specialize - subtle face-shaping (good for transformations into characters who do not wear makeup and for female-to-male crossplay). I hope to get to do it because I'm constantly asked how I morph particularly my husband's face.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #26
Boreotheria
n00b

This is a panel idea I have that I'm going to suggest to some other cons too. Unfortunately it's not one I can run because I don't know enough about it myself. :P But I've talked to a few people (the girls at the Apollonie table loved the idea!) and got some thumbs up.

"Corset-Lacing for the Significant Other". Bring your corset and you spouse, sweetie, con buddy, aide, or whoever is handy when you're wearing a corset, and teach them how to lace you in! Fun and informative for both sides. Must bring your own corset and partner.
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #27
Ayekasong
Gaming Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreotheria View Post
This is a panel idea I have that I'm going to suggest to some other cons too. Unfortunately it's not one I can run because I don't know enough about it myself. :P But I've talked to a few people (the girls at the Apollonie table loved the idea!) and got some thumbs up.

"Corset-Lacing for the Significant Other". Bring your corset and you spouse, sweetie, con buddy, aide, or whoever is handy when you're wearing a corset, and teach them how to lace you in! Fun and informative for both sides. Must bring your own corset and partner.
Now that my husband has been roped into next year's con again, I would very much like for him to attend this panel.

Next up: Archon
Cons for 2014 - Kitsune Kon :: Costume Con :: Geek.Kon :: Archon

Publicity head for Costume Con 2016 (Madison, WI). Interested? Ask me questions!
Ayekasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
von Drago
Well, you're wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreotheria View Post

This is an excellent idea! I'll volunteer to help!
2010 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
2012 recipient Costume-Con Founders Award

Annual Conventions: Costume-Con, Archon
von Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #29
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

Definitely need a "My First Costume-Con" panel. Von Drago and I would be more than happy to be on it. We didn't have it at this year's CC and I think people would have benefitted from one.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #30
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Drago View Post
This is an excellent idea! I'll volunteer to help!
I second this idea and would definitely attend. I'm not the most effecdtive at tying the laces sometimes - keep letting it loosen when I'm trying to tighten. Frustrating for both of us.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote