Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
flammingcorn

Crossplaying Booker DeWitt

I'm working on crossplaying Booker DeWitt from Bioshock Infinite and he is UBER MANLY. While I can't be as manly as he really looks, I'm trying my darnedest. How am I doing so far?

Here's my body with binding and shoulder padding:

http://i40.tinypic.com/51wwsh.jpg

And then here's my hand trying at facial hair:

http://i43.tinypic.com/23sepx.jpg

I don't like the actual hair I tried to stick to my face. XD I got the idea from a crossplay post in another forum. I DON'T THINK I'M TRYING IT AGAIN. But how does the penciled on stuff look? Anymore tips on facial hair? I'm kinda new to it...

Anyway, any suggestions would be nice. UuU Thank you in advance.

---

Current con I'm attending:
N/A

Current cosplays I'm doing:
N/A

Cosplays I might be doing:
The Batter
Good Cop/Bad Cop

Current cosplays I'm working on:
N/A
flammingcorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Chryso

You are going very well! I don't think you need to do anything else with your body and your face is looking super convincing, apart from as you pointed out the facial hair. What I suggest is shading with makeup and then using crepe hair on the top - this is what they use in theatre to make facial hair. My partner used it on his face, chest and arms: http://25.media.tumblr.com/4892f78a0...kuro3_1280.jpg
I have seen more than a few people do the pencilled look done amazingly well (can't find any examples at the moment, I'll keep looking though - I'm looking at a tutorial to add to my "faces" thread)
edit - Here we go - one of my friends rocking the pencilled look https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...88710930_n.jpg

Run without rivals

Last edited by Chryso : 04-29-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

Haha, Booker is not really that manly. His face is actually pretty neutral in that it's not overly masculinized by testosterone or anything. Which is good news, I suppose ?

For the facial hair, one thing you need to remember is that even if it's sparse there's hair still under the skin unless the person waxed their face. For this reason you want to apply some blue or grey colour to the areas of the face that would have "beard shadow" on them - this will go a LONG way.

Depending on how realistic you want to get you could get away with using a stipple brush over the aforementioned shadow since he's just pretty scruffy, not beard-y.

Using real hair can work pretty well, but I would want to cut it shorter and use more of it, still over a shadow base. Like really tiny itty-bitty bits.

I'd make your eyebrows wider vertically, and make them messier. You want to get them "flatter" and down more around the brow ridge.

Have you done any contouring with your makeup ?

I'm not a huge fan of the pants, maybe it's the angle but to me they're emphasising the hips. Unfortunately, pleats are just not really flattering in pants when it comes to wanting to look more masculine - for the majority of people, at least. Is this all going to be in the final costume, or just what you're working with for these pictures ?

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
flammingcorn

Thanks for the advice, guys! 8D And no, this isn't the finished costume, I still have a lot to do. C: Those are the finished pants though...but I'll see what I can do. XD

---

Current con I'm attending:
N/A

Current cosplays I'm doing:
N/A

Cosplays I might be doing:
The Batter
Good Cop/Bad Cop

Current cosplays I'm working on:
N/A
flammingcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
MetalMakubeX
Pigfarts, here I come!

I think one this that could potentially help with the pants is simply to wear them lower. Males generally have longer torsos than females do, and wearing pants lower than usual can help with that fact.
Your face passes very well, however.
MetalMakubeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

Wearing them lower can work for or against you - it will depend on the person's anatomy and the particular pants.

Pants that go to the waist and have room in the waist can help hide the difference between waist and hip - which is a big thing.

Pants that sit on the hips can end up emphasising how large the hips are and can end up looking weird if you have to tuck a shirt into them.

He does wear his pants lower than at the waist from what I can see - probably more like top of hip bone, which would be flattering to larger hips if it had some space in it. But there's only so much you can do if you already have the pants.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
GodlyCheeze

So lets talk mens dress clothes, because I think they should help you look more "manly". The cut and fit on properly tailored mens dress clothes are designed to broaden the shoulder and slim the waist. This makes your upper body into more of a downward pointing triangle and extenuates your body's natural shape. The best advice that I can give you to look more "manly" is to get properly tailored dress clothes.

Now lets talk about the clothes that Booker is wearing. I like to use this picture as a reference. The shirt he is wearing is a white-collared dress shirt in either black or DARK charcoal grey. It looks a bit navy, but I think thats an illusion. However, if you wanted to, I would go with a VERY DARK navy. Here is a shirt I found on Amazon that would work. Notice how it has a white collar, and also white lining where it is rolled up at the elbows. If you want to accentuate your shoulders, I would make some shoulder pads and wear them under your shirt.

Now let's look at the vest/wasitcoat. It appears to be a dark charcoal color, and maybe even a herringbone texture. It has a rather wide, silk notch lapel. You will probably have to make the vest yourself, I have not found anything close online yet. It is almost double breasted, but the 8 brass buttons are still only one one side. By wearing a black shirt you can get a good contrast with the dark charcoal vest.

Don't forget to get a leather dress belt as well. The one in the picture almost looks dark brown, but I'm against wearing brown with black so I'll be wearing a black belt. Also get a white ACE bandage, or some white cloth to wrap around your right hand.

Looking good so far!
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
ImNewHere
The new guy.

I'm seconding the pants need to be lower. You need to emphasize a longer torso. You can pin the pants to the shirt if need be.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
Natasalina
Banned

This is what they use in theatre to make facial hair.
Natasalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Satori Veda

I third the wearing pants lower movement. I was looking at why I thought it looked so odd (because I thought you did a good binding job), and after reading that, that was it.
NYCC '14

Future Cosplays
Hera (Star Wars Rebels)- Working On
Steampunk Sailor Moon- Maybe, I'll see
Lumpy Space Princess- Working On
Satori Veda is offline   Reply With Quote