Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
LonerOtaku

Started working out more often now I'm always hungry?

I'm honestly trying to drop a few pounds and I am working out whenever I have time (even if its just jumping jacks for a few mins ^^; ) but I'm also trying to cut back on unhealthy foods and foods with a lot of carbs. But I'm always hungry lately so I end up breaking my "food rules". Is there a way to fix this? Or anything that I should be doing differently?

and yes I do actually do eat. I'm not starving myself like a few other teens start to do if they get self-consious. I know that won't help.

Thanks! (and sorry if I annoy anyone with my frequent questions :/)
LonerOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
nikkiolie

Find things with lots of fiber and or protein. Beans are amazing for this. You body is just telling you that you need more fuel since it is working more than normal. Its nothing to worry about. Carbs aren't bad to eat in the morning. It seems like your body is less likely to store them as fat (I just remember reading this somewhere it may not be true). I usually eat a bowl of oat meal for breakfast.

Some good snack when you are getting hungry would be nuts, jerky, soy beans, I love to eat baby carrots personally, any fruit ect. Something you could also try is drinking water. You body sends the same message when you need water as it does when you are hungry. So if you are unsure try drinking a glass of water and waiting like 10 minutes. If you still feel hungry, eat a healthy snack.

Like I said though, fiber and protein are key. They make you feel full with a little amount where you can eat a lot of carbs and not get full quickly.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
FlashBlitzen
Photo / Videographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerOtaku View Post
I'm honestly trying to drop a few pounds and I am working out whenever I have time (even if its just jumping jacks for a few mins ^^; ) but I'm also trying to cut back on unhealthy foods and foods with a lot of carbs. But I'm always hungry lately so I end up breaking my "food rules". Is there a way to fix this? Or anything that I should be doing differently?

and yes I do actually do eat. I'm not starving myself like a few other teens start to do if they get self-consious. I know that won't help.

Your body can use more carbs pre-workout. ( body builders load up on them .)
Muscle weighs more than fat so don't freak out if you gain a bit but try to stay away from bad foods with lots of sugar, grease , deep fried. ( All the things that taste good )

Your meat group is hardest to digest so try not to eat meats before you go to sleep.
I have found weight loss in making smoothies with vegetables and stuff. It's giving your body what it needs and will keep you on track with your goals.

Greens in smoothies like spinach, collard greens and stuff are sooo healthy for you.
Agree with poster above about water intake and avoid sugary drinks.
FlashBlitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
belligerent
Viking Metal

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense than fat, yes, and takes up less space, so two people could be the same height and weight but one could be thinner than the other depending on body composition.

You also probably will not gain muscle eating at a caloric deficit.

How many calories daily are you actually eating and how many calories are you burning? What are your goals?
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
LonerOtaku

I guess I should have said I'm trying to get some inches of my hip and waist. oops

umm I have no idea how many calories I eat in a day...I'm just a teen and its not like they hand out nutrition facts with school lunch. But if it helps I normally eat yogurt and toast for breakfast, whatever school serves for lunch, a salad or some fruit when I get home, and most often some form of pasta for supper. I don't eat icecream or pop or candy and such.
LonerOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
FlashBlitzen
Photo / Videographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense than fat, yes, and takes up less space, so two people could be the same height and weight but one could be thinner than the other depending on body composition.
Yes, my bad, you are right. That is the better illustration.
Two people same height and weight can be very different in the way they look.
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

When you're seriously working out you're supposed to be eating every three hours or so (5-6 meals per day) in order to keep your metabolism going and out of starvation mode.

It happens and it's why being on a diet is not easy. You want to eat, but all you have to snack on are like almonds and fruit and crap.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
FlashBlitzen
Photo / Videographer

You can't just burn fat off your hips and waist , general weight loss will affect your mid section. Muscle will help boost your metabolism.

You must have a caloric deficit of around 500 calories to lose a pound a week. Don't starve yourself. 1000 calories less per day may be too much. Watch your salt intake to avoid water retention which may cause bloating.

Exercise more often, substitute fiber and protein for foods high in carbs and fat.
Fiber should help you feel fuller.
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
belligerent
Viking Metal

There are ways to find out if you're eating enough. Places like myfitnesspal are made for logging foods (most can be found in the database and approximated) so you can at least have some idea of how many calories you're getting. You may not know how many calories are in "school lunch sandwich," but you can approximate ingredients and portion sizes.

Be careful if you go that route because if you aren't also logging the calories you burn from exercise, many people don't realize that the application is designed for you to eat back the calories you burned to NET a total of however many calories.

If you're close to your goal weight, you don't want to have a large deficit, either.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
MagnusBeasticus

Yo! If the core problem is getting hungrier faster because of increased physical activity you body is going to take time to adjust from eating unhealthy to shaping your diet up. There is a lot of grease and fat in many of the foods and snacks that people eat these days (sorry to generalize) and high in calories too. So just by eating more healthy you are cutting off a lot of calories and fats that make you feel content for a while after you eat. You could be eating the same portions but healthy foods not keep you as content. As I said, it may just be a case of you body needing to get use to your new diet and physical activity. Great snacks that will keep you content for longer are avocados, nuts and beans (as was mentioned above), tea, fruits (however watch out with fruits because they do contain high amounts of carbohydrates and sugars), peanut butter. Just watch your portions. I could try and help out more if I knew what you were going for.
Also, I have a video on dieting if you are interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO2guP_m9fk
MagnusBeasticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
belligerent
Viking Metal

I basically didn't listen to anything in your video because I was too busy being jealous of your arms. Holy hell. I'm sure I'll be able to process it eventually.
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #12
BorgmanJayce
Ore Wa, Sanjou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerOtaku View Post

I have the same problem as you in that I'm always hungry after a huge workout and I wish there was a way to burn off weight off the hips and waist.
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
Zucchan
Major Idiot

The truth is that the more you work out, the hungrier you're going to be. Right after I stopped playing volleyball, my appetite decreased until I was eating less that half of what I used to, but when I started going to the gym and running instead, my appetite went back up. However, my biggest problem now is periodic sugar cravings (which, with what my family stocks, aren't often good) for which I recommend buying a lot of fruit and veggies to get rid of snack cravings between meals. Basically; yes, eat more, but don't eat badly.
Abyss no Ishi, Deidara
:2011:
Cheren
:2013:
Uzuki Yashiro, Mary (Ib)
Zucchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
MehiraDeOro

You're burning more calories so you should eat more, especially if you're hungry. Just make sure it's healthy and you should be just fine.
MehiraDeOro is offline   Reply With Quote