Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 04-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
bubbleteaXD

ADVICE: anime characters for dark-skinned and muslim cosplayers

Hello! ^U^

I really want my friend (she's muslim) to cosplay but she, well, both of us don't know exactly who she can cosplay as. I read a thread this site had about this topic but its from 2008 so I would like fresh ideas if anyone could give me.

-I would like ideas of anime characters for those who are dark-skinned like tan/golden brown. Gender doesn't matter but my friend and I are both girls just to let you know. (I'm not muslim so I also need help with this so this doesn't apply for suggestion below)

-I would also like ideas of anime characters that can suit a muslim girl because with THESE might help me make the cosplays for my friend that she can wear at a conventions w/o any problems she can have with it or anybody else who are religious.

Photo references/links will be a great help too.

Thanks! XD

*If this bothers/offends anybody, please do not comment below! This is for those who are serious and want to help!*
bubbleteaXD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Shirayuki~Chan

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Muslim customs, is there anything that she cannot wear, point blank? What about the amount of modesty? If you can give any specifics, that'd help a lot with narrowing it down!

Cosplays:
Tycho Science- Diebuster
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Amanita

Some Muslims wear a headscarf to cover their hair, and overall modesty is an issue- really tight or skimpy stuff tends to be a no-go.

I don't know a whole lot about the latest Anime, but if you're willing to consider non-anime cosplay, there are a few female Jedi knights from Star Wars who would be good- they wear modest clothing and their costumes incorporate head coverings- Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee.
Here's a few pics:
Luminara Unduli- close up of her face and hands:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/d5e99683.jpg
Overall look at her costume:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...75-d41rdm8.jpg

Barriss Offee:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...24-d4j7pnc.png

Also, generic garden variety Jedi or Sith have lots of individual variation in their costumes- you could easily wear a Muslim headscarf with those costumes, and as long as it matches or coordinates with the outfit, it should look great. After all, the Jedi and Sith both recruit from many cultures.
Amanita is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
bubbleteaXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Muslim customs, is there anything that she cannot wear, point blank? What about the amount of modesty? If you can give any specifics, that'd help a lot with narrowing it down!
Her hair has to be covered with the hijab(scarf/cloth) over her head. The rest of the body has to show no skin, not including the hands and face. That's pretty much it.
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
bubbleteaXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Some Muslims wear a headscarf to cover their hair, and overall modesty is an issue- really tight or skimpy stuff tends to be a no-go.

I don't know a whole lot about the latest Anime, but if you're willing to consider non-anime cosplay, there are a few female Jedi knights from Star Wars who would be good- they wear modest clothing and their costumes incorporate head coverings- Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee.
Here's a few pics:
Luminara Unduli- close up of her face and hands:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/d5e99683.jpg
Overall look at her costume:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...75-d41rdm8.jpg

Barriss Offee:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...24-d4j7pnc.png

Also, generic garden variety Jedi or Sith have lots of individual variation in their costumes- you could easily wear a Muslim headscarf with those costumes, and as long as it matches or coordinates with the outfit, it should look great. After all, the Jedi and Sith both recruit from many cultures.
Ooooooh~ I like these. Hopefully my friend likes these suggestions. Don't know if she watched Star Wars, lol.
Thanks!
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Boreotheria

The first thing that came to my mind was the Sisters of Plenitude from Doctor Who. They're basically cat people dressed like nuns from the future. Head is covered with a wimple, body is covered with a habit, skin colour doesn't matter because the costumer would be trying to look like a cat rather than a human.
Random steampunk wardrobe items

boreotheria@deviantart
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
emmisu
King of Toast

I once saw a little Muslim girl dressed up as Hatsune Miku, except instead of a wig she used a teal colored Hijab and incorporated the colors and patterns of the costume into a traditional appropriate outfit.
Hijab Hatsune Miku

Hijab(I think) Lolita

And if you just google image search 'Hijab cosplay" you can see a lot of people/concepts that are really cool

Vocaloid Miki
Disney Princesses with Hijabs

So I hope this helps and maybe shows you and your friend that she can cosplay anyone she wants and still find ways to make it appropriate to her culture Personally I think it can be really cool and a unique way to portray a character!

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Well there is this tumblr for hijab wearing cosplayers/lolitas: http://thehijabcloset.tumblr.com/

Addapting the cosplay to fit in her religion might be the best bet but there are many cosplays that have hoodies jackets or sweators and you can just keep the hoods up? To cover the hijab if you don't think it'll fit in with the cosplay itself. (Assassin Creed's characters have hoods, fem versions of the main character?)

There are many female characters that are fully covered in anime though, you just need to find them. ^^

Events: Kawaii Kon 15
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
sam vimes
A real live wire

I wasn't aware that Muslim people all share the same skin tone. Huh.

You learn something new every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

The only character I can think if that wears a hijab is Jasmine when she's wearing her disguise to go into the market. The outfit meets her modesty requirements, and I know Disney people fangirl out when they see someone do something other than the character's default outfit lol

http://m.bonhams.com/auctions/18410/lot/7235/
Mami Tomoe (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)- planning stages
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Kelley
Devil of Details

I would just let this person pick their own costume - she will know best what she will be comfortable wearing.

She can pick pretty much anything. If she wants to pick a character with a similar skin tone, okay ! If not, okay ! A hijab or such can be worked into pretty much any costume - and alterations can be made to a costume to not show skin. I'd just let her pick whatever she LIKES and would WANT to do and then brainstorm "how can we make this work" ?

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
bubbleteaXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmisu View Post
I once saw a little Muslim girl dressed up as Hatsune Miku, except instead of a wig she used a teal colored Hijab and incorporated the colors and patterns of the costume into a traditional appropriate outfit.
Hijab Hatsune Miku

Hijab(I think) Lolita

And if you just google image search 'Hijab cosplay" you can see a lot of people/concepts that are really cool

Vocaloid Miki
Disney Princesses with Hijabs

So I hope this helps and maybe shows you and your friend that she can cosplay anyone she wants and still find ways to make it appropriate to her culture Personally I think it can be really cool and a unique way to portray a character!
hehehe thanks!
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
bubbleteaXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
I wasn't aware that Muslim people all share the same skin tone. Huh.

You learn something new every day.
Lol. Not all. There are some that have pale skin. I just meant tan is my skin tone cuz of my hispanic heritage and my friend is golden brown. ^^
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
bubbleteaXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
Well there is this tumblr for hijab wearing cosplayers/lolitas: http://thehijabcloset.tumblr.com/

Addapting the cosplay to fit in her religion might be the best bet but there are many cosplays that have hoodies jackets or sweators and you can just keep the hoods up? To cover the hijab if you don't think it'll fit in with the cosplay itself. (Assassin Creed's characters have hoods, fem versions of the main character?)

There are many female characters that are fully covered in anime though, you just need to find them. ^^
Yeah! I saw that site before. Its been very useful now. ^U^ hmmmm assassin creed....XD
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
bubbleteaXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
I would just let this person pick their own costume - she will know best what she will be comfortable wearing.

She can pick pretty much anything. If she wants to pick a character with a similar skin tone, okay ! If not, okay ! A hijab or such can be worked into pretty much any costume - and alterations can be made to a costume to not show skin. I'd just let her pick whatever she LIKES and would WANT to do and then brainstorm "how can we make this work" ?
I understand what you're trying to say. But she asked for my help since she's nervous and doesn't have time and i really want to find something that she can be okay with and not offend people. I just want some starting ideas and from there, yeah. Before, we had a conversation about wearing wigs and turns out that was a no-no since it would be considered her hair and from there i got stumped of what cosplays she can do...Yep. I already have a list but the characters are from old animes so im wondering if any of the new ones have characters that can be work out, like magi. ^^