Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Blizzard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 4.79 average.
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #5161
Shaylyn

Very cool nina! I can't move all over in my shoulders (also made with expanding foam and paperclay), but I have more flexibility than I did in the past with large shoulders. For the pauldrons of might it looks like you could make a pretty shallow cardboard base to support the expanding foam. The curvature of the cardboard itself wouldn't hold it to your shoulder, but you could build something small on the underside of the shoulder to keep it semi stable, then just attach your shoulders using a method like Kamui's, shown in her tutorial here. My shoulders get heavier every time I add gesso or paperclay detail... their not really heavy but I'm interested to see how many straps, velcro, buckles etc I'll need to keep them from falling off my body :P

Vengeful Gladiator's Battlegear (World of Warcraft) - Blizzcon '13
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) - Launch Party March '13
Shaylyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #5162
Neener_nina

OMG Vengeful Gladiator set :O I actually made the Vengeful Gladiator's Decapitator to go with this armor set!

I've been following Kamui's tutorials in making my shiz, but I never thought of making the innards shallow.. This bears consideration.

Question about your shoulders, how did you make the details on your shoulders, were they just carved on, what did you use?
Neener_nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #5163
Shaylyn

I carved the basic shape of the shoulders, covered in paperclay, gessoed, etc. Then I covered the shoulder in plastic wrap and masking tape and drew the shape of the details I wanted. I used those patterns on 6mm craft foam and beveled the edges with an xacto knife. I added paperclay to the swirly detail to give it more dimension though, it looked too flat. There's still so much left to do!

Unread 04-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #5164
Neener_nina

Ah, okay. I might have to take a look around for a 6mm craft foam thing. Worst comes to worse, I'll probably just just glue 2 mm together >.>
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #5165
Shaylyn

I have only seen the 6mm at Michaels, not at Walmart or Joann's. If you have a smartphone you can use the Michaels app to have a 50% off coupon all the time, they just scan it off your phone. It has helped with the tons and tons of paperclay I buy!

Unread 04-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #5166
Neener_nina

Sorry, not in the US, so we don't have those here. I think my cospartner found some small 6mm sheets at some artstore here, but I've never seen them. I've started the skeleton of the shoulders, here's hoping it works!
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #5167
StRoughNeck

@Kagato and Reformed: Thanks for the suggestions!
I can't wait to see your Varian put together Kagato, been following your blog here and there, and the print looks nice!
I'll play around with the idea with something over the pants; I really dig what you did with your Hip sections On Ysera, Reformed.
Thanks again guys!
StRoughNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #5168
BeastlyCrow
Beast DK

Ooooo I can't wait for con this year! I'm like 15% so far for my Hunter's Scourgestalker Tier. Currently working on the helm right now and then going to start off with the skeleton base of the Bow and Polearm for it. >_< A lot of work!
BeastlyCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #5169
Psycho Sukafu
Rhetti~

Quick question for those that travel with bulky armour, how do you pack it? If I go to Blizzcon I will have to take a plane and for the life of me I can't figure out how to fit it all in my luggage limit. Do people build boxes at the luggage dimension limit and take it on their flight or do you ship it down to your hotel before hand?
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #5170
Pyoska
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Sukafu View Post
Quick question for those that travel with bulky armour, how do you pack it? If I go to Blizzcon I will have to take a plane and for the life of me I can't figure out how to fit it all in my luggage limit. Do people build boxes at the luggage dimension limit and take it on their flight or do you ship it down to your hotel before hand?
Most people just ship it to the hotel. If you give them your name and tell them when you're staying, most hotels will hold it for you until you arrive!

Aura Cosplay on Facebook!
Pyoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #5171
chizoom
The Exhaulted

Monk Panda Suit

Hello friends, I'm new to cosplay but not new to making things. I've been working on a panda fursuit as a base platform for my costume so that I can make independent gear sets for him, like a shaman set or a monk set. I'm currently making my duct tape pattern for my suit and then going to sew it up. I'll keep u updated with my progress.

Cheers! Chizoom
chizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #5172
Pyoska

Well, I was gonna do the Ethereal Sorcerer this year, but the husband and I want to do something together. Unfortunately, that means he wants to do a Marauder suit from SC2 and wants me to do a Medic... without handlers for either of us. Which is next to impossible. The problem is that he wants the Wow Factor for his costume and no one we've seen has done a Marauder- which he likes. And I've never played SC2, which makes cosplaying as something from there awkward. And with all of the issues those cosplays are likely to come with (both suits being quite large and bulky), not having a handler isn't an option.

Time to go back to the drawing board, I guess.

Unread 04-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #5173
Fireshark
Craft Foam Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyoska View Post
Well, I was gonna do the Ethereal Sorcerer this year, but the husband and I want to do something together. Unfortunately, that means he wants to do a Marauder suit from SC2 and wants me to do a Medic... without handlers for either of us. Which is next to impossible. The problem is that he wants the Wow Factor for his costume and no one we've seen has done a Marauder- which he likes. And I've never played SC2, which makes cosplaying as something from there awkward. And with all of the issues those cosplays are likely to come with (both suits being quite large and bulky), not having a handler isn't an option.

Time to go back to the drawing board, I guess.
Could you recruit a handler from your guild or similar?
The first year, I was able to do that (and would have died a terrible death without them).
Fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #5174
Pyoska

Woo! Got the cosplay thing figured out! We decided just to do whatever we wanted, and my hubby thought a Sindragosa cosplay would be awesome, so that's what I'll be doing! It'll be based on this fanart, and if I slim down enough, I may actually stick with showing the belly. Time to hit the gym- or do Hoopnotica.

/excited

Edited to add: Hey, those of you who have used paper clay, which brands would you recommend? My husband and I both need it for our cosplays (he's doing Darkmaster Gandling) and we would like as much of the details as you are willing to part with!

Last edited by Pyoska : 04-29-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Added stoofs.
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #5175
StRoughNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyoska View Post
Hey, those of you who have used paper clay, which brands would you recommend? My husband and I both need it for our cosplays (he's doing Darkmaster Gandling) and we would like as much of the details as you are willing to part with!
The only paper clay brand I use is the Creative paperclay (black package). Michaels is iffy on when they carry it or not. I tried using Michaels own version... and it wasn't pleasant.

Things to be careful of is that it does shrink and it sticks to your fingers.
For the sticking part, just have a bowl of water next to you and get your fingers slightly wet while your working with it.
It can be sanded, and I use it to fill gaps when I don't have anything else on hand. Seems to stick pretty well, but sealing is always a plus.
Thats all I've got. /pretty useless.

Last edited by StRoughNeck : 05-01-2013 at 02:50 PM.
StRoughNeck is offline   Reply With Quote