Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
MotherSilver

Arm Sleeves?

I'm not even sure what to call them. I'm trying to do some research before I get started on these but I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm looking for. I have a general idea in my head of how to do it (Involving strips of fabric) but I'm always one to double check.

I've attached the picture in hopes some one will have an idea. I'm trying to find a 'tutorial' for these. Sleevelets? Arm sleeves? I can't tell everything I type in comes up with different results.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Firiane Bunny Black 2 alt outfit.jpg (98.8 KB, 0 views)
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

You could try"arm puffs", too. They kind of resemble the ones worn in ballet costumes to me. As for making them, it seems fairly easy to me; it looks like two layers tied off in the middle to "puff" up, and with the top fabric slashed to show the lining underneath (it was a VERY popular fashion from the late Middle Ages to the 1600's), and ending with ruffles. If you look up "puffed and slashed" or just "slashed" sleeves that may also yield results as to constructing them.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

id start with a nylon tube with elastic bands at each end
then add skirts to both ends, cut the top brown one in strips make a stitch
to bind the top red to the brown then slide some plastic slips in there
to make the top billow out
something softer than milk jug but more rigid than sheet plastic

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 04-28-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
MotherSilver

Thanks for all the feed back, I think now I have a pretty good idea about how to work on these, I do have elastic for the top/center pieces now I just need to check and make sure I have enough fabric lol.
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
Boreotheria
n00b

Oh geez. I just saw a commercial pattern that has something very similar in the sleeves. What the heck was it. Hang on, gotta go look for it.

ETA: got it! Simplicity 1773.
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

1. Underlayer that is a structurally sound piece that will fit to the arm and not move around (affixed with elastic, sock glue, et cetera).

2. Red layer. This is puffed out at the top either through shaping seams or gathering - it's sewn at the top and under the puff to the underlayer, which it then follows until you make the ruffle layer.

3. The black layer. This is the same as #2, but you have black strips over the puff. You can use the gold "tacks" to attach it as shown or sew and make that decorative. In order to not slide down, blind stitch/tack the black layer to the ones under it under the puff area so it doesn't pull down and droop. The rest is like above, only smaller ruffle.

The ruffles are probably circles of fabric or fabric that has been box-pleated - either should work and look good.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
MotherSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreotheria View Post
Oh geez. I just saw a commercial pattern that has something very similar in the sleeves. What the heck was it. Hang on, gotta go look for it.

ETA: got it! Simplicity 1773.
That actually looks like it might help a lot, I'll have to pick that up when I get a chance, because I sure cannot make patterns by myself. Although I think my circle skirt went pretty well :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
1. Underlayer that is a structurally sound piece that will fit to the arm and not move around (affixed with elastic, sock glue, et cetera).

2. Red layer. This is puffed out at the top either through shaping seams or gathering - it's sewn at the top and under the puff to the underlayer, which it then follows until you make the ruffle layer.

3. The black layer. This is the same as #2, but you have black strips over the puff. You can use the gold "tacks" to attach it as shown or sew and make that decorative. In order to not slide down, blind stitch/tack the black layer to the ones under it under the puff area so it doesn't pull down and droop. The rest is like above, only smaller ruffle.

The ruffles are probably circles of fabric or fabric that has been box-pleated - either should work and look good.
See this is what I was thinking, where I had elastic around the top and at the middle around the elbow piece, and that I had a red puffy layer and black strips over it like you were suggesting, and then of course a pleated layer for the bottom bits. But I wasn't sure if I was just guessing it wrong or if maybe I was actually getting a knack for guessing how to make things by looking at them. Although I didn't think about putting a 'sleeve' on the inside that actually might make things easier now that I think about it. Thank you
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Kelley
Devil of Details

Think of it kind of like those "bubble skirts" (like this) - the "poof" in the skirt needs to be held up by something, so there's a non-poofy layer under there it's attached to. This will stop it from being able to slide up and down the arm - otherwise the "puff" part of the sleeve will want to move and collapse a lot because it's not supported by anything - kind of like if you took the support layer out of that skirt, it would all just fall down straight like a normal skirt.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
MotherSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Think of it kind of like those "bubble skirts" (like this) - the "poof" in the skirt needs to be held up by something, so there's a non-poofy layer under there it's attached to. This will stop it from being able to slide up and down the arm - otherwise the "puff" part of the sleeve will want to move and collapse a lot because it's not supported by anything - kind of like if you took the support layer out of that skirt, it would all just fall down straight like a normal skirt.
I see what you're saying so I'll have to make an inner layer to attach the 'puff' to so the puff itself doesn't go sliding around and becoming non puff. Thanks