Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
A Grue

Shingeki no Kyojin / Attack on Titan

Is there anyone else planning a costume from this series, either from the new anime or from the manga?

I'm currently working on one of Sasha for summer conventions, and I'd love to hear from other fans. Any suggestions on how to handle constructing the weapons and the 3D gear?
Attached Images
File Type: png sasha.png (175.9 KB, 0 views)
A Grue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Conchobear

xD I'd love to see Sasha cosplayed.
I was highly considering cosplaying someone from the series.
I haven't figured anything out yet but I want my harness system to actually work if I can manage it.

For the weapons, I might use Bike brakes as part of it and have wooden swords in a most likely wooden sheath. I have yet to put any effort into it but I can keep you updated if you like.
I know someone who is amazing at carving wood so he might be able to make me the handles. He also is good with mechanisms so I might be able to have detaching blades as well.
Gonna try and draw up some schematics when I get around to it.
Conchobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

Yessss, a thread for this! Been a fan of the manga for a while and I'm liking the anime so far.^^

I was considering doing either Ymir or Mikasa, as I think they're both badass. x3
In progress:
| Cronus Ampora - 90%| Homura Akemi - 80%|
| Nagito Komaeda - 55%| Loki Laevatein - 50%|
| Uta - 40%| Seishuu Handa - 35%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I really love Mikasa but those props! My head hurts just thinking about making them. XD

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
A Grue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchobear View Post
xD I'd love to see Sasha cosplayed.
I was highly considering cosplaying someone from the series.
I haven't figured anything out yet but I want my harness system to actually work if I can manage it.
For the weapons, I might use Bike brakes as part of it and have wooden swords in a most likely wooden sheath. I have yet to put any effort into it but I can keep you updated if you like.
GO FOR IT! The more, the merrier! I love the way you're thinking, but for me personally wood can't be an option for the sheaths. That would be way too heavy for me to wear just suspended from my waist. Bike brakes, though, hmm; there's something there. That's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LluviaSarcasm View Post
I was considering doing either Ymir or Mikasa, as I think they're both badass. x3
THEY ARE! I wanted to be Mikasa since she's so recognizable, but I can't be that serious all day. I'd rather eat potatoes and be a goof. I am excited to meet all the recruits in the next episode.
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Grue View Post
THEY ARE! I wanted to be Mikasa since she's so recognizable, but I can't be that serious all day. I'd rather eat potatoes and be a goof. I am excited to meet all the recruits in the next episode.
Yes, but there are a lot of really interesting characters to choose from, so it's nice to see more obscure ones sometimes. I'm very much looking forward to seeing yours!

And it's not everyday I find series with tall badass non-cute anime girls, which is...what I like and can pull off, basically. xD
I'll probably choose Ymir for the sake of being a bit more diverse as well.^^
In progress:
| Cronus Ampora - 90%| Homura Akemi - 80%|
| Nagito Komaeda - 55%| Loki Laevatein - 50%|
| Uta - 40%| Seishuu Handa - 35%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
squeak83uk

[quote=A Grue;4653980]GO FOR IT! The more, the merrier! I love the way you're thinking, but for me personally wood can't be an option for the sheaths. That would be way too heavy for me to wear just suspended from my waist. Bike brakes, though, hmm; there's something there. That's possible.

I was thinking about doing this for a convention in October, I don't really resemble any of the manga/anime characters, so i am gonna just be me, but try and come up with a bit of back story

as for the sheaths, i will be using foam board, and possibly fiberglass,

the 3D maneuver units vary between the anime and manga, but both seem to have a set of bars going from the base of the 3d unit to the inside of the sheaths, in the anime they actually look segmented, to allow them to move up and down,

So if you have the X brace on your back you can actually hang the sheaths from your lower back, and have them hinge off your hips,

just don't look on eBay , i saw some shop trying to sell the two blades and control units (all made from wood and looked so terribad) for $150
squeak83uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
A Grue

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak83uk View Post
the 3D maneuver units vary between the anime and manga, but both seem to have a set of bars going from the base of the 3d unit to the inside of the sheaths, in the anime they actually look segmented, to allow them to move up and down,
I agree with you- Foam board and fiberglass is the way to go, I think, or even corrugated plastic. So much lighter! I've heard good things about stainless steel contact paper, and since the sheathes are just big boxes, that would be very simple to apply and get a nice, sophisticated, uniform metallic finish.

I'm distressed that the gear in the manga and the gear in the show are different, especially since the manga has that nice cheat-sheet with information about the gear all detailed for us! I'll be interested to see the equipment in action here in the next couple of episodes. And also we get to meet the rest of the trainees!
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
lillybearbutt
Riri

That's awesome - I heard great things about this anime and I've been bugged to watch it! I'll have to go preview the first episode tonight
DA
lillybearbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
monster_tree
Kyo

A couple friends and I will be cosplaying from it for AX and year round after, we started making the engine, were using pvc pipe that we found to be the right shape, but were also planning to use some styrene for other parts.
AnimegaCon(2013) (maybe)
Anime Expo(2013)
AM2(2013)
Comikaze(2013)
PMX(2013)
Cosplay:
Gaige - Borderlands 2
Mikasa - Shingeki No Kyojin
Kuroh - Project K
Magi- Morgiana

monster_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #11
My_Insanity
Barian Lord

I'm wearing Armin at a con in late may and eventually re-using the scouting legion uniform for Hanji.
I've just finished putting together the leg portion of the harness, the thing is really confusing to put on but simple enough how to figure out how to make. It's the sewing together the strips of vinyl and buckles that's the worst part. The boots have been the most annoying part so far though, I don't think I've ever modified shoes that much before.
I'm making the manga version of the 3DMG, the anime version, especially with the reduced number of blades, doesn't do it for me
My_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
A Grue

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Insanity View Post
I'm wearing Armin at a con in late may and eventually re-using the scouting legion uniform for Hanji.
I've just finished putting together the leg portion of the harness, the thing is really confusing to put on but simple enough how to figure out how to make. It's the sewing together the strips of vinyl and buckles that's the worst part. The boots have been the most annoying part so far though, I don't think I've ever modified shoes that much before.
I'm making the manga version of the 3DMG, the anime version, especially with the reduced number of blades, doesn't do it for me
HANJI! My favorite! And good luck with the manga version of the equipment- I think I like it better than the anime version, but it looks more difficult to replicate and wear.
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I think I will definitely want to cosplay Sasha. Can't go wrong with a girl who likes potatoes. XD I wish she had an alt. outfit that wasn't the uniform. Really want to cosplay her but don't want to make the 3D.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
Meaier

Me and my friend watched it separately but within the first minutes we both thought that we wanted to cosplay it. The outfits are so cool! And the gear! I'm a sucker for cool. . .
So possibly at the end of the summer, if she can break her other plans.

But so far I have not found great reference pictures from the anime, hopefully we will get better looks when a few more episodes is out. It's so many belts!
Otherwise, it's always the manga.

Last edited by Meaier : 05-02-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Meaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
cadetheidi

I'm obsessed with SNK! And the 3DMG blows my mind.

Planning to cosplay Mikasa towards the end of this summer. I've noticed there are noticeable differences with the design of the 3DMG and body strap design in the anime & manga--think I'm going to stick with manga style, since there are more reference shots to work with.

Totally at a loss as to how to actually make it, but a couple ideas so far is to use those yard-stick-like wood pieces as the blades and spray paint them metallic, and for the connecting thinner strings, maybe playing around with those stop-click dog leash mechanisms? For the canisters that clip onto onto the blade containers, poster tubes/giftwrap tubes?

Best of luck to everyone, and please continue to share your tips because I need it!! ;D
cadetheidi is offline   Reply With Quote