Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 04-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Otakuzaku

What to coat armor/props with?

So I'm finishing up my costume, and I don't know what to use to coat my armor, boots, and props with.

The chest armor is soft made of foam needs to be flexible to a certain degree, going to painted with acrylic.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ing%20time.jpg

Props are styrofoam, coated and painted, so they are stiff and will not flex, but they will be handled often.

And the boots are fireman's boots painted with acrylic, coated in acrylic satin clear coat, so they will need to be flexible.

Here is my I'm asking this:

I painted the boots with acrylic, and coated them with Acrylic Varnish :
http://www.michaels.com/Craft-Smart%...efault,pd.html

My problem is that even months after being painted, the boots are sticky/tacky. If the boots touch each other for an extended period of time, they tear the paint off each other. Or if I rub them together it will tear the paint off. And since I'm going to be walking in them, this poses a bit of a problem for me.

So is there a universal substance I can use to coat all my props with, or do I need different things for each one?

Thanks
Otakuzaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
CJohn

Can you find a sealant to spread over the tacky paint? Try workable fixative, though I don't know if that would help. But it could.
CJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
DragoValhar
Guardian of Darkness

I was having a problem with tacky paint on a pair of wooden daggers I sprayed a clear coat over them and let them dry, no more tacky paint. This stuff says "Ideal for Wood Metal" so I don't know how it'd react to fireman boots which I assume are rubber and heat resistant plastic.

Looking for a Wooden Prop? Maybe I can Help.
Marketplace Ad
DragoValhar is offline   Reply With Quote