Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-05-2011, 03:13 AM   #136
yumei_tenshi

do some epic poses and switch sides and interact with each other. turning around and showing the back isn't a bad idea either...
-Juri Han
-Radical Ed
-Gogo Yubari
Currently selling Miku wig, pm me if interested!
yumei_tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #137
fancy_duckie

Hi everyone. I'm going to be doing my first ever walk-on at this year. I'll be cosplaying White Bunny!Sheryl Nome from Macross Frontier. Picture here: http://clockworkrealm.files.wordpres...ome35small.jpg (The one on the right.) I've only done skits with a group before and I'm really nervous about doing this walk-on. This convention's walk-ons are usually a little more towards the "skit" side than a fashion show sort of deal. We're limited to 30 seconds or less, and I think walk-ons are supposed to provide their own sound; I'm not sure if things have changed because I didn't watch the Masq. last year. Here's a link to the song/in series concert the costume is from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FPdDs4Ekm0

I have no idea what to do. Ideas/tips/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
fancy_duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #138
Ragtime Mouth
Can + Bakery + ??= Profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzikumaru View Post

Anime Expo, I have learned, actually discourages a lot of walk-ons because they think they're boring for the audience. I personally thing this is BS, but whatever...

I like quick walk-ons, I like to see all the costumes without having to sit through half an hour of Vocaloid skit songs. Even if they must just awkwardly stroll on stage, I still rather see that then and another tired skit with terrible costumes.
Ragtime Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #139
CHIBI-Chii

Wow this is deep! There is a lot of work to go into things like these huh? I really want to do a skit someday though!. But fist need to master sewing or at least good poses
CHIBI-Chii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #140
cloudyheaven
ultimate.cosplay.diva

hey guys so i am going to be entering the masquerade at ALA this year, and i am determined to redeem myself (last year was a bit of a flop, hatsune miku walk-on if you saw it). i just want some second opinions so i can make adjustments accordingly...

first off, im cosplaying remilia scarlet from touhou project (all you basically need to know is she is a vampire who owns a fancy european mansion in the world of gensokyo, the setting for touhou, and appears to be 12 years old)

i've recorded the audio for the skit already --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJBmX...ature=youtu.be

and i will have moving wings, and i plan to use my weapon, but im still a little iffy on what to do with those....

i'm basically looking for advice for either my movement on stage or if i need to make changes to my voice-over...

thanks a bunch! <3
oni-chan
cloudyheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #141
HappehPills

I'm new to this Walk-On business and I was wondering: What is a Walk-On? Who are the cosplayers that can participate on Walk-Ons? Does it apply only to the cosplayers who do their own costume? Or can people who have commissioned their cosplay participate too? o.o This is all new to me. Thanks!
HappehPills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #142
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siffel View Post
I've had this skit idea for a while and I just wanted to ask if it's in good taste...
I don't want to offend many fans or get booed off the stage! XD For an upcoming con, by sister and I are going to be crossplaying Hidan and Shikamaru from Naruto. For a skit, we were going to poke a little fun at the final battle they had (sorry, no chapter referance). We were going to have a huge lead up, like a Dragon Ball style "THIS IS IT!" couple of lines and then break into Finger Eleven's "Paralyzer" and have a dance off.
We really think it's funny...

Feedback, please?
I never got into Naruto, (The Big 3 never interested me) so I don't get the joke, but that is a skit, and if you are going to do a dance off and fight scene, do it well. Practice over and over until you can do it perfectly in your sleep, otherwise it'll look un-choreographed and like you have no clue what you're doing. Too often have I seen mediocre skit performers thinking they're original or funny by doing badly done random dancing. This goes for fighting as well. Your characters are professionals at fighting, right? So make them look professional.
Good luck!
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #143
EvilLittleKiss

I've been working on a Homestuck Jade 3AM cosplay, and thankfully Homestuck has dozens of albums so picking a fitting song shouldn't be a problem. I'll have her Girl's Best Friend gun (Like some sort of automatic rifle, I know nothing about guns. :P) and a frog plush onstage. She's a rather cute and silly girl. I know her character well, but I'm a shy person. I figure I can shoot in various directions and cuddle the frog or something, but I feel that isn't enough or too impressive. Maybe I could giggle or something too, but this will be a solo and my first entry! Any suggestions?
Unread 08-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #144
sarg3_5laught3r

Hoping to do a masquerade for my Bane costume and simply reenact his Blackgate or Staduim Speech from TDKR.

Captain Jack Harkness: 5%
Booker Dweitt: 5%
sarg3_5laught3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #145
melfina89

I am working on a walk-on for Melfina from Outlaw Star. I have been rewatching her movements and facial expressions, but the thing about her is that she is a very understated character in terms of personality. Would it be enough to do each of her most common (although extremely simple) poses with their facial expressions? With possibly a moment with a spin or something along those lines to get the shawl to flow with some air to show of its ability to do so as hers does so many times in the anime?
Casual D&D Player

Cosplay:
Triela - Gunslinger Girls - 2010
Lucy/Nyuu - Elfen Lied - 2011-2012
Melfina - Outlaw Star - 2013
melfina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #146
Imaginational
my mom makes my cosplays

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLittleKiss View Post
I've been working on a Homestuck Jade 3AM cosplay, and thankfully Homestuck has dozens of albums so picking a fitting song shouldn't be a problem. I'll have her Girl's Best Friend gun (Like some sort of automatic rifle, I know nothing about guns. :P) and a frog plush onstage. She's a rather cute and silly girl. I know her character well, but I'm a shy person. I figure I can shoot in various directions and cuddle the frog or something, but I feel that isn't enough or too impressive. Maybe I could giggle or something too, but this will be a solo and my first entry! Any suggestions?
Sorry for swooping in out of nowhere, but, gosh, this sounds SO ADORABLE!! (There's a loud chorus of frogs croaking right outside my window right now, so I'm taking their cacophony as a sign that I should say something. I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting the frogs!)

You're totally right about HS having heaps and heaps of music! There are even a lot of shorter songs, which could be helpful if you have a small time limit. And they're all so wonderful...well, I've been thinking about Masquerade skits, and I think that something that's probably important to consider in regards to audio is the way that it affects the audience. Slower songs (like "Frog Hunt" - one of my personal favorites!!) are usually advised against by those who claim that they may "bore" the audience, for whatever reason ("BLOW SOMETHING UP," an audience member cries desperately), but I think that it's all about presentation. Slow songs can work, quick songs can work - distorted audio of bird-calls could probably work, as long as the presentation works with it! Oh, wait, now I'm rambling and off-topic. Sorry!!

Um, RIGHT - I think that your idea of gunfire and giggles sounds awesome!! Gosh, I was imagining Jade coming out and shooting her GIANT AUTOMATIC WEAPON with precision in multiple directions, seeming like some sort of action hero to audience members who don't know her character...and then she stops, grins, and giggles while she picks up her frog and skips away like a carefree child. Can you imagine the looks on the audience's faces?

Okay, sorry, I got carried away. Oh, no, VERY carried away...I'm sorry, friend! I need to stop talking. Starting now.

...Wait. Okay, starting AFTER this: In any event, your cosplay sounds excellent, and I wish you ALL the luck in your endeavors!! It's gonna be great, I just know it!!
Unread 06-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #147
EvilLittleKiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginational View Post
Sorry for swooping in out of nowhere, but, gosh, this sounds SO ADORABLE!! (There's a loud chorus of frogs croaking right outside my window right now, so I'm taking their cacophony as a sign that I should say something. I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting the frogs!)

You're totally right about HS having heaps and heaps of music! There are even a lot of shorter songs, which could be helpful if you have a small time limit. And they're all so wonderful...well, I've been thinking about Masquerade skits, and I think that something that's probably important to consider in regards to audio is the way that it affects the audience. Slower songs (like "Frog Hunt" - one of my personal favorites!!) are usually advised against by those who claim that they may "bore" the audience, for whatever reason ("BLOW SOMETHING UP," an audience member cries desperately), but I think that it's all about presentation. Slow songs can work, quick songs can work - distorted audio of bird-calls could probably work, as long as the presentation works with it! Oh, wait, now I'm rambling and off-topic. Sorry!!

Um, RIGHT - I think that your idea of gunfire and giggles sounds awesome!! Gosh, I was imagining Jade coming out and shooting her GIANT AUTOMATIC WEAPON with precision in multiple directions, seeming like some sort of action hero to audience members who don't know her character...and then she stops, grins, and giggles while she picks up her frog and skips away like a carefree child. Can you imagine the looks on the audience's faces?

Okay, sorry, I got carried away. Oh, no, VERY carried away...I'm sorry, friend! I need to stop talking. Starting now.

...Wait. Okay, starting AFTER this: In any event, your cosplay sounds excellent, and I wish you ALL the luck in your endeavors!! It's gonna be great, I just know it!!
Thank you!
I've stopped working on the costume for now because applying the beads to the dress has just taken far too much work, but I should get back to work on it sometime!

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #148
LittleBlondGoth

I've entered four masquerades as a walk-on, and either won or placed in all of them, so it's perfectly possible to win without doing complex skits! My advice would be:

1. Plan what you're going to do. I can't emphasize that enough. Are you going to simply walk and pose? Do you have a mini storyline in your head that you're going to act out? If there's more than one of you, how do you interact with each other and who gets to pose when? If you're in a group, make sure everyone gets some time at the front to show their outfit. And don't be afraid to turn your back - the other side of your costume is cool too, don't forget. Just don't spend the entire time with your back to the audience. Obviously.

2. Pick some really good, appropriate music, because it helps more than you might think. And you can use it to give you cues for your poses and get your timing right. So if the music hits a crescendo, hit a big pose. When you hear a certain phrase, then it's time to move to your next mark.

3. Don't be scared, be strong. Even if you're just moving around the stage and posing, make every movement count. Don't go halfway, you can even exaggerate your movements a little, so everyone in the audience can clearly see what you're doing. It's a bit like acting. Place your feet a little wider, arch your back a little more, elongate your arms. Have presence. And hold your poses, so people can get a good look at you and take photos.

4. Practice, practice, practice, but remember you may need to adapt your routine when you actually see the stage. You never quite know how the stage setup will be - MCM has a catwalk, but LFCC doesn't. I had to change what I had planned a little to make my Diablo routine work in the space, but still try and keep the same musical cues.

Actually, just found a couple of vids on YouTube of some of mine if they're any help...

http://youtu.be/mn2W8l91T6A - Shepard & Ashley
http://youtu.be/gUDQ9EiA0W8 - Diablo 3 Barbarian
LittleBlondGoth is offline   Reply With Quote