Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 05-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Krugglemugg

Alternative to Force FX Lightsabers

Hi all. I've been looking to get a pair of lightsabers for a costume I'm doing. I like the look of the Force FX ones, as they're obviously pretty high quality and have a nice solid blade and good light. But I don't really want to drop $300 on two sabers. (Not to mention, I'm not sure I want to carry two of those around ComicCon all day)

I was wondering if anyone had any good alternatives that aren't just cheap crappy toy lightsabers. I just haven't been able to find anything that looks decent and doesn't cost $100+

Thanks.
Krugglemugg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
rothsauce
Doodlebeast

Unfortunately that is what you're going to run into.

The more expensive ones are meant to be both durable and flashy, and the cheap ones are meant to be... well... cheap, and better usage for kids who are more impulsive. Unless you can find someone who could do a custom build of the look you want, that would be of good quality and a decent price, you'll pretty much just have to choose between the lesser of two evils. You can always take a cheap toy version and mod it out, which will take time but the results can look just as good as some of the more expensive units, plus the items can be reinforced well to be more durable.

A friend of mine does Darth Maul, and would likely recommend getting the quality blades or doing a self-custom job. If it's not a costume you'll be doing very often, doing the cheap un-modded blades would be a better option.
rothsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Agreed with Rothsauce.

You can have a look at Ultrasabers or Saber Forge, but if you want something good, you have to pay the money for it.
For a lower cost, I'd suggest getting ultrasabers and modifying the hilts yourself. Then it's up to you whether you want to add in sound effects and motion sensors.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
Amanita

Yes, a basic stunt (no sound saber) from Ultrasabers can be had for under $100. If you're willing to stretch the budget to $150 or so per saber, that covers a lot of their nicer looking hilts. Now, that's without sound mind you. Adding sound (better quality than cheap toy sound boards) will add roughly $125 to the price, give or take. But the brightness is some of the best I've seen- it blows a forcefx saber out of the water. And one of their options is a little wrench (allen key) that lets you take the blades out, so you can wear the hilts on your belt.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Millions_Knives

sry but i also agree^
i cant even find Chinese knock offs
well one that dont suck
it is the largest collection of cosplay tutorials and cosplay fun on youtube.
Millions_Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
Midnight Dawn

Sorry for being more salt in the injury, but as everyone has noted is fact.

Only possible way around it to build one yourself.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #7
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

Honestly, unless you want something customized, a Force FX saber is, in the long run, cheaper than Ultrasabers or another similar maker, as it already has the electronics in it, and it's ready to go. They tend to run around $100-200 dollars, and that's about the price for an Ultrasabers without any electronics (or at least no sound board and such). Though you wont be getting any custom saber through Force FX, unless you're willing to do the customizing yourself.

You can make your own, has been mentioned, for fairly cheap if you're just making an empty hilt. There's various guides around online.
There's also the Custom Saber Shop where you simply buy the individual pieces you want (pommel, hilt, emitter, choke, etc.) and put them together yourself. This way you can still get a custom saber, but it's a bit easier to do, and it's usually a little cheaper. This wont have any electronics, though, and if you wanted electronics you'd have to put them in yourself.
I have never used the Custom Saber Shop other than for buying a hanger for my belt so I can't tell you how exactly things work with them...

Personally, I have a Kit Fisto and Mace Windu FX lightsaber, and they're great pieces. The Mace Windu saber is a few years old so the blade isn't as bright as newer models and the blade can't be removed, but the Fisto saber blade is nice and bright, and can be removed.

Last edited by Blue Leader : 05-04-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Nostrum
R4Hscal

I've got both FX and Ultrasabers, and in a setting like a convention or photoshoot, there isn't really any benefit to an FX. They're heavier, the LEDs can bust, and the sound is drowned out to anyone who doesn't have the hilt within a couple of foot from their ear.

US blades are brighter, you can duel with them without worrying about the lighting, and I thoroughly enjoy getting to build a custom hilt.
I used my FX for over a year, very regularly, but unless I'm at a smaller event it's not worth it. I don't have to worry about someone dropping my US, whereas my FX has had to be pulled apart and had it's electronics reassembled after it dropped off a table onto concrete.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
Amanita

Yeah, I have an Ultrasabers Consular with electronics installed, and that sucker is LOUD! And bright- Oh yeah, that orange blade looks like it's putting out heat!

And with Ultrasabers, they have a one year warranty- if something goes wrong, they will fix it. After a year, they will do repairs, but they charge for them. It's still better than breaking a force FX- If you break one of those, good luck. You're out all that money.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote