Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #106
BruthaBeige

I had to photoshop my eyes as Scorpion... there was no way I could wear the whiteout contacts... there is %0 vision in them shits LOL
BruthaBeige is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #107
MissGyk
Goblin Recruiter

I can't afford contacts right now, so I use photo editing to change eye color sometimes. Otherwise, I don't like using photo editing programs to change my own appearance because I prefer to do that with makeup, wigs, etc. and I would never want to change my body type to look prettier (flatter-chested though...). Backgrounds and such, on the other hand, I like to mess around with.

Beatrice (Umineko)
Lestat (Vampire Chronicles)
Madoka (Madoka Magica)
Sonia (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: BBS)
MissGyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #108
Nightwitch-Kat
Busty Princessa

I don't really like photoshop. I don't mind tiny adjustments to skin and background BUT a lot of cosplayers (especially Asian ones, no offence) go a tad overboard with making themselves look fake.

~ Up coming Cosplays ~
  • Princess Peach - Super Smash Bros
Nightwitch-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #109
SA2R
King of the Skies

I am 50/50 on PS. I use it to enhance eye color, clear skin, and get rid of scars/tattoos. Like others have said: I am very against slimming. Even the slightest bit. Don't shop yourself skinny~ D8 Where is the confidence and love in your body?? I am also against breast/hip/lip w/e enlarging, and other kinds face distorting.

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

Last edited by SA2R : 05-01-2013 at 11:22 PM.
SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #110
Ilafatyu
That guy

If I sit down and edit a picture, I go off the deep end fixing anything perceived as a flaw. So I have to make a list of things I want to edit (eye color, lighting adjustment, etc), then stop there whether or not I see something else to alter. Others are probably like this as well. Alternatively, they have a picture and see it as a challenge.

I don't really care if people photoshop the hell out of their pictures. I understand that a lot of those fancy photos are edited and it's not expected people look eerily perfect in reality. Some still need to learn that. That's it.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #111
KatyCruel

I almost never use photoshop except for lighting, colour correction (our camera is a piece of crap...), things like that. The only major editing I've done is to remove the bridge and sides of my glasses in a photo I was submitting to a contest. (I can't wear contacts, so I have a pair of rimless glasses I use for cosplay)

2013 Con Season!
- No-Brand Con (Eau Claire, WI - April 12-14) DONE!
- Anime Detour (Minneapolis, MN - April 19-21) DONE!
- Animinneapolis (Minneapolis, MN - June 28-30)
- MetaCon (Minneapolis, MN - August 30-September 1)
- TeslaCon (Madison, WI - October 31-November 3)
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #112
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

I will always admit to photoshopping some of my pictures. Quick candid shots? Nope. But I will 'shop a nice studio shot any day. If nothing else, I'm usually adding a bit of contrast, color-correcting, and maybe adding some vignetting to help adjust the visual focus of the image. But I do also photoshop myself.

When I look at some of my cosplay pictures, the photos are about coming up with the best visual end product and not always about creating an accurate representation of me. As others have mentioned, I don't have blue hair or fangs naturally, anyway.

When I really photoshop a pic, I will tone down my double-chin, reduce the bulge of my upper arms some, and smooth out any muffin tops. I'll eliminate flyaway hairs, stray threads, and soften any noticeable clothing wrinkles. I don't do these because I don't want you to know I'm fat - you can look at any of my quick candids and see what I actually look like. In this case, it's all about the finished image and eliminating distractions to guide the focus of the reader so you're looking at the costume, not judging my appearance instead. We are a society based on appearances, and if my double-chin is out-of-control, that's what the viewer will focus on first instead of the pretty necklace. Stray threads and flyaway hairs are distracting to the eye and draw the gaze away from the face or the costume. I try to eliminate or tone down as many of those distractions as possible so that the image is simple and clean. I also eliminate random distracting elements in the background, when I can.

Still, when creating a natural-looking image, there's only so much you can do before it starts to trigger that uncanny-valley response in the viewer. If I were to try to photoshop myself into a size 4, it would no longer look like a natural photo. I usually try to create a 'shop that doesn't scream "fake", which means that adjustments need to be handled with care. Other than minimizing double-chin, I don't alter my facial features unless it's adding contrast so I don't look too washed out.

Now once in a while I'll go for the full-on art-project look with a new background, special effects, etc... and then all bets are off. :P
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #113
Karawr

Personally, I love Photoshopping my Cosplay photos purely to make them brighter and more vibrant, to make them sort of pop out at you, as well as blurring the background a bit if my camera has failed at doing a decent depth of field thing.
Karawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #114
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Photoshoping is not a bad thing, when its done right. It can make a photo look a whole lot better. And frankly I don't mind when a photographer uses it. I have lots of acne scars on my face so when a photographer edits all of those out, I'm thankful. Just little touches to make the cosplayer look better, that is fine and I think no one would mind that. As well making the colors brighter in the background, or the colors of your costume brighter is ok by me too.

It is when a photographer goes EXTREME with photoshopping that I have a problem with. And by that I mean making the cosplayer look fake rather then real. I have seem plenty of photos where the cosplayer looks like a Barbie doll and it just looks really bad. I'm too distracted by the photoshopping job to even pay attention to the costume.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #115
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Damn. Those photoshops are pretty dramatic and it looks like they were done pretty well

If someone photoshopped me to look more like Johnny Depp, I would not be opposed to it in all honesty lol jk I realize that is extremely deceptive (fyi none of my photos are extensively photoshopped as far as I know, only color correction is done). Although, I have seriously considered having people photoshop my eyes to appear bigger though because my eyes are so damn small :P

But I generally agree with what TheFontBandit stated. I am not opposed to people doing more extensive photoshop jobs on their cosplay photos, whatever it takes to get a nice final product, I say go for it. Although I think it is sad that people feel the need to photoshop themselves thinner when they already look fit in the photos

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #116
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

I really love well photoshopped photos. Like...trying to think of an example but some one cosplaying a character with a lot of unique features I suppose? I know some characters have really expensive contacts because they might have "elaborate" eyes and their contacts don't exist every where on the web so you have to have them custom made. I guess shopping eyes, tats, scars, etc. And I mean adding super extravagant tats or really weird scars and things like that. I try to get contacts if it's just changing eye color. But I know how hard or expensive it can be if your cosplaying on a really tight budget like I do most of the time. Contacts would be a last priority for my cosplay, if I have extra money left over after I finish the rest of the costume I'll buy them, if not then I won't. For me it depends on how important a part the contacts/eye color plays a part with the character. I think C.C. (Code Geass) is the first character I ever bought contacts for because I thought it was important to her look. But that's just me.

I LOVE messing with special fx, backgrounds, cool effects that are relevant to the character/series. Like a lot of people mention I don't like over shopping, ie making my eyes look anime looking or making myself look thinner. I think anime eyes look creepy on human beings in my personal opinion. lol The most I've ever done is just smoothing out my skin/skin tone and on one cosplay none of my friends told me my wig was falling off, I never felt it but my natural hair was showing (did have a wig cap on) and one photo taken of me I could see my hair so I shopped it the color of my wig and blended it in. Ta da! lol
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #117
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I find it fine to use Photoshop for like background effects or special effects relevant to my character but I will never use it to alter my body directly. If you really take pride in showing off your cosplay then show your honest body. It looks and feels better.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #118
Throatriptron
Tsundere

Professionals photoshop their pictures almost always these days. I don't see the problem with photoshopping cosplay pictures. Sometimes the lighting just doesn't do the costume justice, be it washing out the color or what have you. Other times you get a breakout before a shoot and instead of rescheduling it, it's easier to just shop it out. Shop in eye colors, if you can't handle/afford contacts. Shop in a super cool background or effect. It's usually more about making the actual picture shine than it is people trying to "fool" you into thinking they are amazing looking.

Even if they are, who cares?

I don't personally photoshop my pictures much. I play around with lighting, or run it through a filter if I feel it's dull or something. But that's less out of having a problem with it and more out of being absolutely dismal at photoshop. u_u
Throatriptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #119
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

I usually use PS to adjust brightness and contrast, but not much else. Last year a photographer took about 100+ photos of me and gave me all of them in their raw form, as well as ownership to the right over them. The most drastic thing I did was make my eyes red for one of my photos, because even though I was wearing red lenses the color wasn't showing up in the photos.

2014 plans:
TGS2014 - Zhurong (DW8) and fem!Kotetsu (Tiger&Bunny)
BIGBANG Concert - Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
Winter Comiket - ???

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #120
_Jun_
That Boomerang Guy

I'm more interested in seeing people use Photoshop and the like to add effects like auras that are otherwise insanely difficult to create in real life. Like rukh on Magi cosplayers.

Past Cosplays
Mugen | Davis Motomiya | Izaya Orihara | Takuya Kanbara | Book One Sokka

Anime North 2014
Wolf-Armor Sokka

Tumblr Account

_Jun_ is offline   Reply With Quote