Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 586 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #20761
ilafatyu
That guy

Finding the 'perfect thing' and buying it without looking at a reference, then finding out it's wrong. I should keep my references folded in my pocket at all times.

facebook page // nh cosplay events
Next event: Free Comic Book Day

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Actively constructing : Cloud, Zexion, Lie Ren
Back burner : Absol gijinka, Soren, Vaati
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #20762
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
Finding the 'perfect thing' and buying it without looking at a reference, then finding out it's wrong. I should keep my references folded in my pocket at all times.
I could not agree with this any more than I already do. XD I swear, I've started taking my computer everywhere just so this doesn't happen, haha. An IPhone and a data plan would be lovely for this very reason.

My pet peeve of the day: companies that don't ship for a week or two after you've placed an order. Sometimes, this is understandable, as they may not have the product in stock. However, this is a fabric company with their own warehouse. The product was listed as in-stock. The swatches were listed as in stock. Note: this usually doesn't bother me, but I'm feeling a bit impatient right now, haha.
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #20763
rainbowxfishy

let me say that everybody has a right to opinion , but the reason why its an opinion is because its how you personally feel ,just because you feel that way doesn't mean your right or wrong ,but someone who bashes other peoples feelings , or how they did /do something isn't ANY better , just because someone has more money or talent or experience doesn't make them a better "COSPLAYER", cosplaying should always be about having fun,and overall enjoyment , people shouldn't be afraid of what makes them happy . building people up is ALWAYS BETTER THEN TEARING THEM DOWN!!!!!!
rainbowxfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #20764
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrac View Post
I could not agree with this any more than I already do. XD I swear, I've started taking my computer everywhere just so this doesn't happen, haha. An IPhone and a data plan would be lovely for this very reason.

My pet peeve of the day: companies that don't ship for a week or two after you've placed an order. Sometimes, this is understandable, as they may not have the product in stock. However, this is a fabric company with their own warehouse. The product was listed as in-stock. The swatches were listed as in stock. Note: this usually doesn't bother me, but I'm feeling a bit impatient right now, haha.
So much this right now... I ordered 15 swatches of silk a week ago, and I don't think they have even shipped out yet. I'm really hoping they arrive next week, because I have a costume that hinges on some variety of silk... And the color selection there is beyond compare.

Peeve: waiting. And waiting. And waiting some more.

Also, being afraid to proceed on a costume because it seems so daunting. I've never worked with Pinstripes before, or modifying a pattern as much as I intend to for my suit... And even though I have muslin, and a plan, and time, tackling my 10th doctor suit is terrifying me right now.
Fix-it Faerie (Original Design), 1950s Housewife Bill Cipher (Gravity Falls... ish)

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #20765
AnimeLuxray25
Rampardos! ♥

Peeve at the moment: parents threatening to take cosplay away from you because you suck at school and can't get all A's and B's worth a damn. Seriously, relax, C's and high D's aren't the end of the world

Making humble, cute Pokémon gijinkas. <3

~ " don't judge other cosplayers, 'cause in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps " :3 ~

2016 Cosplay Plans: Leafeon. - 80% [Pokémon]
Poochyena. - 100% [Pokémon]
Magnemite. - 0% [Pokémon]

2016 Conventions: Hmm...

my deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
GPXplus: AnimeLuxray25(Feed my Pokémon! :3)
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #20766
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post
Peeve at the moment: parents threatening to take cosplay away from you because you suck at school and can't get all A's and B's worth a damn. Seriously, relax, C's and high D's aren't the end of the world
It's nothing to be proud of though.

Education > Cosplay
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #20767
Sugar.Code
Property of Zee Captein

Living far enough away from any decent craft stores that you can't get the supplies you need. And can't seem to find them online either, though you know they exist. My entire construction has come to a screeching halt because I need two rectangular buckles, 4 inch deep red zippers, 1 light grey 12 inch zipper, all in silver, and all I can find are round/square buckles and zippers with brass colored teeth. I mean, seriously. Oh, and nothing carries the Krylon textured paint I need. /headdesk
/endrant

Fayt Leingod - Star Ocean:Till the End of Time - 90% finished

Morrigan (Winter Palace) - Dragon Age: Inquisition - 15% finished

Fidel Camuze - Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness - 20% finished

Attending
Anime Expo 2016
Sugar.Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #20768
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Ducky View Post
So much this right now... I ordered 15 swatches of silk a week ago, and I don't think they have even shipped out yet. I'm really hoping they arrive next week, because I have a costume that hinges on some variety of silk... And the color selection there is beyond compare.

Peeve: waiting. And waiting. And waiting some more.

Also, being afraid to proceed on a costume because it seems so daunting. I've never worked with Pinstripes before, or modifying a pattern as much as I intend to for my suit... And even though I have muslin, and a plan, and time, tackling my 10th doctor suit is terrifying me right now.
Yep. I feel you. On both accounts. I can't do much without this fabric (not that I'm going to start before summer break starts anyways, but I'd like to have it before then), and this is getting a little frustrating.

I emailed them saying the tracking doesn't work and that I'd like to know if they could update it. Now, in the original receipt email, the number is LISTED as a tracking number. When you click it, it takes you to the USPS tracking page. So I tell her this, and you know what she says? That it's NOT a tracking number, but a confirmation number, and that it doesn't come with tracking. Uh, okay. Then why does your email tell me it's tracking?

If the package doesn't arrive by Monday, she'll apparently send me another set of swatches. :/ Which is great, but I sure hope she doesn't wait another week before sending it out.
Unread 05-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #20769
Suuki
Kahl the Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau de Decus View Post
It's nothing to be proud of though.

Education > Cosplay
Not everyone is perfect and can get good grades. I try. I really do. But I still do bad. I had to get into independent study and drop out from my highschool to get my grades up. Sure, most aren't happy about it. But as mentioned, some can't prevent it.
Anime California '15
Pacific Media Expo '15
Anime Los Angeles '16
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #20770
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrac View Post
Yep. I feel you. On both accounts. I can't do much without this fabric (not that I'm going to start before summer break starts anyways, but I'd like to have it before then), and this is getting a little frustrating.

I emailed them saying the tracking doesn't work and that I'd like to know if they could update it. Now, in the original receipt email, the number is LISTED as a tracking number. When you click it, it takes you to the USPS tracking page. So I tell her this, and you know what she says? That it's NOT a tracking number, but a confirmation number, and that it doesn't come with tracking. Uh, okay. Then why does your email tell me it's tracking?

If the package doesn't arrive by Monday, she'll apparently send me another set of swatches. :/ Which is great, but I sure hope she doesn't wait another week before sending it out.
Hope your shipments get there soon. And in better condition than mine did. I had an order delivered yesterday of a bunch of silk scarves, dyes, and yardage... the box looked like it had been mauled by a pack of ill tempered soccer playing polar bears. Thankfully the goods were ok, but the box was horrifying! WTF UPS. WTF.
Fix-it Faerie (Original Design), 1950s Housewife Bill Cipher (Gravity Falls... ish)

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #20771
AnimeLuxray25
Rampardos! ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suuki View Post
Not everyone is perfect and can get good grades. I try. I really do. But I still do bad. I had to get into independent study and drop out from my highschool to get my grades up. Sure, most aren't happy about it. But as mentioned, some can't prevent it.
^ This, pretty much...

I really do try in school, but...

Making humble, cute Pokémon gijinkas. <3

~ " don't judge other cosplayers, 'cause in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps " :3 ~

2016 Cosplay Plans: Leafeon. - 80% [Pokémon]
Poochyena. - 100% [Pokémon]
Magnemite. - 0% [Pokémon]

2016 Conventions: Hmm...

my deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
GPXplus: AnimeLuxray25(Feed my Pokémon! :3)
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #20772
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Currently, confusing reference pictures! and making a costume for a series I have not seen.

This Makunouchi Ippo commission is going to make me rip my hair out. In one picture his shorts has 21 stars and a duck in a circle symbol in another he has 15 stars and a GKB logo..WTF! Some have a handwritten signature on the front of the short and some don't. AUGH@@@!!!
BLOG - LINK
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #20773
Boreotheria
n00b

I gotta say something on the education front -- taking away a hobby because your grades are bad isn't punishment, it's enforcing self-discipline. That's IF your grades are a result of not spending enough time on schoolwork. Take away the hobby and you have more time for school, and you may find that your grades improve. Some people just have to spend more time studying to understand the material, and you might be one of them.

If you've already tried that and your parents know that more studying doesn't improve your grades, then yeah, taking away cosplay is more of a threat or consequence rather than a strategy for improvement. So take the initiative to learn how to study more efficiently, or learn new strategies for absorbing information (since schools choose a curriculum based on what the majority of kids can learn from, and therefore there will always be a few left in the dust, not because they're stupid but because they need a different learning strategy).

But either way, it is something that you'll have to spend more time on, which may mean ditching or at least cutting back on a hobby. And punishment is not inevitable, this is not a battle that you have to fight but lose anyways. If you don't try anything your grades will keep suffering and you'll get the consequences. If you do try something, you may actually find something that works.
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #20774
LadyCrankypants
Lady of House Crankypants

As I have never been to a con (yet! 7 days and counting!!) I can only speak to my pet peeves during the construction phase:

- The Mirror Effect: I can't count the number of times I've verified and re-verified that I have something going the right way for a costume, sewn it up, and then realized that I screwed up and made it reverse to the way the costume is supposed to be.... Then had to unpick every damn seam and start over - AAAAARRRRGHHHHHH!!

- Shopping for seemingly simple things: Some things should be relatively easy to find - like a brown belt with a western style (rectangular with pin to attach to belt holes) buckle - simple, right? WRONG. I checked every single second hand clothing store in the city and every shop which sells male clothing in a large mall before I found something that would work... At $35 for the buckle and $35 for the belt. <<Insert naughty sailor words here... and no I don't mean dinghy or scuttlebutt>> In the end I finally managed to find one (and ended up getting it at 50% off of $29.99 - woohoo!) but not after wasting all of that valuable time. Or black and white striped fabric, or a seperable zipper of a certain length, or buttons that look a certain way.... So frustrating!

- Waiting for online purchases: And waiting, and waiting... And hoping they'll arrive on time even though you ordered them over three weeks ago. I NEED those buckles before next Saturday... Where the heck are they? Lost in post land and not on my dining room *cough* sewing *cough* table where they belong.

There are more (mostly surrounding my procrastination :P) but those are the biggest ones I've found so far

Works in Progress
Gaige - 75% done (on hold)
Gecko Moria - 90% done, props need to be finished

Completed Costumes - Moxxi|Dr Zed|Robin

The Crankypants Chronicles | Facebook Page | deviantArt
LadyCrankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #20775
BlooShine

My latest peeve after all my shopping is having cosplays, but having no conventions to wear them to. :c

Big 'ole list of cosplays!

Levy - Fairy Tail
Menma - Ano Hana
Ranka Lee - Macross Frontier
Xiao - Dark Cloud (Remaking cosplay)
Eris, Goddess of Discord and Chaos - Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
BlooShine is offline   Reply With Quote