Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 402 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #20776
LadyCrankypants
Lady of House Crankypants

As I have never been to a con (yet! 7 days and counting!!) I can only speak to my pet peeves during the construction phase:

- The Mirror Effect: I can't count the number of times I've verified and re-verified that I have something going the right way for a costume, sewn it up, and then realized that I screwed up and made it reverse to the way the costume is supposed to be.... Then had to unpick every damn seam and start over - AAAAARRRRGHHHHHH!!

- Shopping for seemingly simple things: Some things should be relatively easy to find - like a brown belt with a western style (rectangular with pin to attach to belt holes) buckle - simple, right? WRONG. I checked every single second hand clothing store in the city and every shop which sells male clothing in a large mall before I found something that would work... At $35 for the buckle and $35 for the belt. <<Insert naughty sailor words here... and no I don't mean dinghy or scuttlebutt>> In the end I finally managed to find one (and ended up getting it at 50% off of $29.99 - woohoo!) but not after wasting all of that valuable time. Or black and white striped fabric, or a seperable zipper of a certain length, or buttons that look a certain way.... So frustrating!

- Waiting for online purchases: And waiting, and waiting... And hoping they'll arrive on time even though you ordered them over three weeks ago. I NEED those buckles before next Saturday... Where the heck are they? Lost in post land and not on my dining room *cough* sewing *cough* table where they belong.

There are more (mostly surrounding my procrastination :P) but those are the biggest ones I've found so far

Works in Progress
Gaige - 75% done (on hold)
Gecko Moria - 90% done, props need to be finished

Completed Costumes - Moxxi|Dr Zed|Robin

The Crankypants Chronicles | Facebook Page | deviantArt
LadyCrankypants is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #20777
BlooShine

My latest peeve after all my shopping is having cosplays, but having no conventions to wear them to. :c

Big 'ole list of cosplays!

Levy - Fairy Tail
Menma - Ano Hana
Ranka Lee - Macross Frontier
Xiao - Dark Cloud (Remaking cosplay)
Eris, Goddess of Discord and Chaos - Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
BlooShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #20778
emmisu
King of Toast

ughh current peeve: self doubt
I had to drop out of sewing class, and I have loads of acne from the sudden humidity...
Probably just one of those weeks, ya know, where you just feel like you're not good enough in any of the ways you wanna be

Anyway end self-pity-party

Gotta start cooking healthier stuff for me and the BF- since he eats a LOT it's cheaper to get bad food

um
Other things just involve being lethargic and playing Ni No Kuni instead of working

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #20779
DMEAddiction
The Hanar Spectre

Peeve: I've been sick with pneumonia for the past week and I haven't been able to use a sewing machine because of it. The con I'm going to is in 2 weeks. I'm screaming internally at this point.
If I don't get this shit done, I'm just going to do a Chip Skylark cosplay. That doesn't involve sewing on a collar and buttons and attaching the sleeves to the shirt.
DMEAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #20780
sensorium139

Losing my job while saving up for the convention I am going to in July. I MIGHT be able to get another job , but I don't know the chances. I loved the job and it was a last resort for my boss, as he liked me a lot as an employee but could not afford to pay me and did not want to be unfair to me. I appreciate him for this other than I loved the job and it was a great source of convention money (I was making $10 an hour) . This also put a damper on making my weapon as I basically only have enough for the convention costs , not much to spare so I probably cannot buy anything while there besides probably food and drinks. I didn't think I was gonna lose my job and I bought a game and reserved Tales of Xillia's collector edition so I'm also trying to save enough for that as well.

Fortunately there's a good thing to make things a lot better: Someone in my group has a staff for their other cosplay and they'll let me borrow it as a stand in shotstaff because I cannot afford to probably make one.
sensorium139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:16 AM   #20781
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensorium139 View Post
Losing my job while saving up for the convention I am going to in July. I MIGHT be able to get another job , but I don't know the chances. I loved the job and it was a last resort for my boss, as he liked me a lot as an employee but could not afford to pay me and did not want to be unfair to me. I appreciate him for this other than I loved the job and it was a great source of convention money (I was making $10 an hour) . This also put a damper on making my weapon as I basically only have enough for the convention costs , not much to spare so I probably cannot buy anything while there besides probably food and drinks. I didn't think I was gonna lose my job and I bought a game and reserved Tales of Xillia's collector edition so I'm also trying to save enough for that as well.

Fortunately there's a good thing to make things a lot better: Someone in my group has a staff for their other cosplay and they'll let me borrow it as a stand in shotstaff because I cannot afford to probably make one.
Damn I'm sorry for that, you had a job you liked with a good boss. I hope you can find some other job as good as that soon!

And yay Tales of fans !
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #20782
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

My latest pet peeve is when you are trying to sew something onto one side of fabric and you accidentally sew it together... then are forced to rip out the seam.
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #20783
JennSights

I have to say as a newbie to this world who is devouring all the info she can...this just MIGHT have been the most informational thread I've ever read. I mean that in a positive way. When you are learning about what to do and what not to do starting out this is some valuable information When I used to be involved with the Renfair it would bother me when certain people would get upset if someones costume wasn't necessarily "historically accurate" same kind of elitism you all are discussing in this thread.

Thanks for the info!!!
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #20784
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

When you can't spray paint because of weather. My spatula has been ready to be painted for several days but I've only been able to start that today due to rain.

The thread for the series you're cosplaying from being dead. I'm working on CardCaptor Sakura and I would like to talk about it in a CCS thread. But the CLAMP section of this site is pretty much dead.

Last edited by Shana05 : 05-06-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #20785
NaughtsApproach

Shopping for the basics. Seems easy right? i mean shopping for ribbon or buttons should be easy. .... unless you find 3 packs of ribbon (8 are needed) so you buy them waiting for the store to restock....3 months later....they have yet to restock...really?...REALLY?! it is a staple color blue ribbon! why arn't you restocking?!

Western CO Cosplay group

:Website:
http://futagocosplay.wix.com/futagocosplay

:FaceBook page:
http://www.facebook.com/WeAreFutagoCosplay

Take a look at our pages!<3

OR My personal business page for any interest in Commissions
http://www.facebook.com/allisonsCustomCostumes
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #20786
DMEAddiction
The Hanar Spectre

Another peeve I realized today: When the local fabric store moves location, so you have limited to no access to the materials you need. Mine is closed until Friday and the closest fabric store is an hour and a half away.
DMEAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #20787
AshofRebirth

More of a forum peeve.. But:

Those very, very few really toxic people on this forum that you'll encounter once in a blue moon 0_0
Not even disagreeing opinions.. Just people that will outright curse and insult you in such a lowly way for no reason?
It's like.. Do we not have rules and why aren't people punished when they break them?
I didn't realize this was your own personal Facebook where you can just use whatever language at another person that you so please
(Or am I just sensitive? I dunno haha)

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #20788
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

My petpeeve is wanting to be too accurate. >n<
I have been wanting to quit cosplaying because I can't sew. And I love accuracy.. I can NOT handle "most" wholesale cosplay.
So I have been looking for nice premade stuff, and wanting to add things on. (I have to have a friend sew it on for me)
Not only does it take forever to find something decent as a base, but you have to have someone else sew stuff on.
I need to learn how to use a sewing machine already. .-.
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15

Last edited by Suuki : 05-07-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #20789
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshofRebirth View Post
More of a forum peeve.. But:

Those very, very few really toxic people on this forum that you'll encounter once in a blue moon 0_0
Not even disagreeing opinions.. Just people that will outright curse and insult you in such a lowly way for no reason?
It's like.. Do we not have rules and why aren't people punished when they break them?
I didn't realize this was your own personal Facebook where you can just use whatever language at another person that you so please
(Or am I just sensitive? I dunno haha)
You are too sensitive.

You should probably work on going on with your life and not getting so caught up over people you don't like.
If you don't like someone, don't give them the time of day.

When someone bothers me, I just think about someone I like, and go on with my life.
In reality, the person just probably doesn't give a damn about you. So why should you care about them?

And if someone curses at you, it is most likely because you did something to deserve it.
Most of the time, people don't go cursing willy nilly unless they are trolling.
A lot of us people have a life and won't waste it getting upset over people on the internet for no reason.. (or at least I hope.)

Try looking at your experience with them, and see what you can do to improve yourself. Or else the time you spent with them, would be a waste. Even if it was only for a short time.
Our lives are too short to not learn new things.

The only time I would personally get frustrated over a person, is if they were to do something to me, that seriously effects my quality of life. Because that is all that really matters.
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #20790
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtsApproach View Post
White fabric and a black cat who looooves to slide across it. Damn you super lovey kitty! you're being a pain!
I learned to keep a squirt bottle nearby when working in case the kitties want to lounge on my fabric or get underfoot while I'm setting up my machines. It doesn't hurt them or my fabric and they learn to stay out of the way when Mommy's working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCruel View Post
That one wig that weighs like eight pounds, but you don't realize how much it hurts until you take it off and then OH HOLY HELL I DID NOT KNOW MY NECK COULD FEEL LIKE THAT.
Oh, the woes of a Merida cosplayer...
I hear that. My wig is a base with two ponytail clips taken apart and sewn in. So it's essentially three wigs' worth of hair. When I'm done for the day, it's such a relief to have that wig off my head. I love how I look in it, but all that weight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau de Decus View Post
It's nothing to be proud of though.

Education > Cosplay
I agree with the education > cosplay crowd. My brother struggled all through school because he was dyslexic and didn't do well in "lecture" environments. But one thing that kept distracting him was video games and my parents would sometimes catch him playing video games instead of doing his homework. So they ended up taking away his video games for a while (and making me hide mine) to force him to buckle down and pull his grades up. He was never a straight-A student, but he did pull up his grades in order to get his video games back.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote