Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #61
JellySpIIrt
Hipster Loki is in.

Depending on how much money I have on me and where I am, I'll usually buy clothing, wigs, figures, and more recently, comic books.

Facebook Fanpage
JellySpIIrt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #62
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

I used to solely buy keychains or pins or even manga, but now I just stick to art since it's worth it for me. Although I'm planning on getting some figures this year as well.

Cons Attending
[Miku Expo]

dA
Facebook
Instagram
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #63
chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

In all the anime conventions I've been too, I've never purchased anything from the dealers room or artist alley (except one box of pocky which doesn't count). Anything in the dealers room I could buy cheaper somewhere else, and the artist alley never had anything that interested me.

I would suggest trying to do something different from the other vendors. If you're all selling T-shirts your going to have a lot of competition. Where as if your selling something no one else is, you've cornered the market. Just be sure it's reasonably priced.
chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #64
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I get stuff that's somewhat practical (wearable, hangable, edible, cosplay uses, etc.) Usually Japanese sweets I can't buy back home, t-shirts or accessories I'll wear, art items (mostly buttons and some prints), and occasional cosplay-use items like wigs or contacts. I also buy soundtrack CDs, but almost never DVDs. And I only buy manga when being sold used. I can almost always get it cheaper at home.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #65
kimuhalu
Step AWAY from the yaoi!

Back when I first started going to cons I usually went for dvds, artbooks, magazines, cheap little gacha figurines, and anything neat that caught my eye which I think one year everything added up to $400 or so. (omg)

Nowadays while I still look for something that catches my eye I never want to spend that much on stuff again. I don't find the point in trinkets, pins or keychains anymore since they never get stuck on to anything and end up sitting in a drawer forever. And any dvds or books I can get cheaper elsewhere. And why buy little figurines when I can get bigger and more gorgeous, detailed statues.

I always hit up the BlueFin/Tamashii booth for figuarts and I keep an eye out for certain hard to find toys. If I spy a figure I can't even find on Mandarake I'll get it even if it's a little more expensive (but within reason).

I love Japanese/Korean idols and singers so if I see CDs and things from them I'll most likely buy something. Along with these, I'm starting interest in wallscrolls and t-shirts. Things I can actually use and display.

I never had interest in the artist alley so I never really walked through it and took my time to look. I did that for the first time just last year because I had to since friends wanted to look. It was interesting to see all the things people can come up with and make based on a certain media. So I will be indulging myself in more handmade items this year.

Last edited by kimuhalu : 05-06-2013 at 02:20 AM.
kimuhalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #66
arockalyptica
Amature costumer

I always make a stop at Tab Kimptons stall (Hes a regular guest at my local con) and ask for some cosplay advice, then buy something (so far I have 2 pocket watches and 2 sets of goggles). From the dealers room I keep my eyes out for an ulquiorra plushie because I cant find him anywhere, I buy a wallet every year because by then my other one is cracked or falling apart, Tshirts sometimes, some yaoi mangas (I have trouble getting them cheaper elsewhere) and pretty much anything cool I can find. I bought a canada moshi ( I think thats what it is, white ball thingie) plushie from a seller before, because I thought it was too cute to pass up!
arockalyptica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #67
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

I love buttons and patches myself. The former are cheap and make neat little trinkets while patches, though pricier, make excellent additions to my jean vest.

I also tend to get movie posters and plushies as well, maybe the occasional comic.
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Rex Power Colt (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon)
Mankind (WWE)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)

Working on:
Mike Schmidt the Night Watchman (Five Nights at Freddy's)
Mr. Van Driessan (Beavis and Butthead)
Iron Chef Tony Stark
Sonny Crockett: Agent of Shield
Leatherface
Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #68
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiagirl View Post
In all the anime conventions I've been too, I've never purchased anything from the dealers room or artist alley (except one box of pocky which doesn't count). Anything in the dealers room I could buy cheaper somewhere else, and the artist alley never had anything that interested me.
Completely agree on that.
I would never pay for overpriced items, unless it was on accident.
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #69
DMEAddiction
The Hanar Spectre

Usually I stock up on manga. It's generally cheaper, at least at my local con. And I usually get at least one poster because they're usually like $3 and if they have something from an anime I don't despise, why not?
In terms of Artist Alley, I don't buy too much. No more than like a small poster and maybe a pin if one catches my eye.
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #70
Emi
want some pins with that?

I pretty much only buy figures, but I usually am looking for a specific one and know the general price range I could get it for online. Sometimes I'll buy a keychain or phone strap from Artist Alley too, depending on what's there.

[Next Cons]: AWA // Holiday Matsuri

[Progress]

Ryuko Matoi (Senketsu School Uniform) - 90%
Kida Masaomi (Yellow Scarves) - 10%

tumblr
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #71
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

I generally don't buy stuff in artist alley or in dealer's hall, generally I'll buy DVD box sets if anything depending on how much money I have. This year at AX I plan on buying at least one wig for a new cosplay and one or two DVDs/box sets as I've actually managed to save some money to spend ^_^
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #72
C0rvu51nku8a3
Best chin on Cosplay.com

Why do my posts never enter into this thread?
C0rvu51nku8a3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #73
p1mp3rn3l
King of the Pirates!

I usually end up setting a budget of $50ish dollars for loot from the dealers room/artist alley now. I usually end up going home with some figures and artwork that looked pretty cool.
~Natsu (Fairy Tail) - 25%
~Green Arrow - 5%

Completed Cosplays:
~Mid-Valley the Horn Freak (Trigun) - 100%
~Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece) - 100%
p1mp3rn3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #74
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Figures, plushies, sweets and jewellery. I always enjoy seeing stalls that sell their own made cute jewellery!

Here's my haul from London Expo this weekend as an example, probably my best lot of purchases ever: http://media.tumblr.com/6197607c0abb...kUJ1qz4rgp.jpg (The two cans on the left were given to me so not actually purchases)

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi

Last edited by ToroSonyCat : 05-27-2013 at 02:09 PM.
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #75
OtakuQueen
AppleJack

I always buy one of those sodas with the little ball in the middle. its like a staple in going to a con, a tradition if you will.

You Laugh At Me Because Im Different, I Laugh At You Becauseyoure all the same

Tumblr>----- nightingalecosplay.tumblr.com
Faythjohnson.tumblr.com
OtakuQueen is offline   Reply With Quote