Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Unread 05-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
snakeeyes190
snakeeyes190

Help on making mask/helmet

I am currently working on a snake eyes cosplay from gi joe retaliation and it is my first time to work with the flour water and newspaper metgod of getting the basic shape my question is what do most peiple use for a second coating. I have been told fiberglass and bondo. Soneone told me bondo or clay is best for filling the holes and spaces to get a smoother look I just need some help on what I should do next.
snakeeyes190 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I think you will have better luck here: http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo

Last edited by JediofTime : 05-04-2013 at 09:24 PM.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
ghosgreen

Actually my friend my just finished up his Snake Eyes suit from GI Joe Retaliation last month. Umm for that second layer to smooth it out I know there are other alternatives out there but we use fiberglass and resin to reinforce the piece on the inside and then bondo on the outside. This is how my friend's suit came out https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=628717253810503&set=t.1339600083&ty pe=3&theater But again there's other alternatives this is just how we do all our armor parts.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
snakeeyes190
snakeeyes190

His suit look awesome and thank tou very much for the info I am going to be honest but this is my first time making cosplay armor of any sort or cosplay period I have always wanted to but never actually done it.
snakeeyes190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
ghosgreen

Good luck on the build man. Honestly for a first time armor build Snake Eyes isn't a bad choice. The design isn't too intricate and you it's just the upper half and not full armor with shins and thigh armor pieces. I also have to mention that fiberglass resin is very toxic and you should use a respirator when you mix it. However if your paper mache works well and it's sturdy enough you should be able to bypass it all together and just use bondo to finish it up or clay. Sorry can't give much advice on that front. I don't work with paper mache much but from what I hear when done right can look really good.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote