Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 05-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
djr7

materials for Attack on Titan Cosplay boxes?

So I am very new to cosplay and materials, but this is what I am trying to make for some upcoming cons.

http://otakutale.files.wordpress.com...-400.jpg?w=820
http://ani.me/site_media/media/artic...x10000_q85.jpg

Right now I am focused on the boxes, where the blades and gas canister are located.
This week I will be making a cardboard mock version to play with, but I'm wondering what kind of materials could be used for a final version?

i was thinking double or triple layers of cardboard for the box itself, and if I did that do I need to worry about painting it? or is paint on cardboard not a good idea? (noob at this).

wondering if craft foam or foam boards are the ideal choice for the gas canister, and detailed pieces which go on the box.
THANKS FO ANY INPUT!! I will put up an image of the carboard version when I get it down later in the week
djr7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Midnight Dawn

So I'm assuming it's those weird box things they're wearing?

For durability, double to triple box layers will make it really tough. Of course you can paint it as is, but it'll look better if you coat the outside of it with craft foam.

Craft foam would be fine for the containers. But for a base to layer it over, you could use cylindrical bottles to connect them to the length that you need them to be.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

We're going to be doing an AoT group as well and for the 3DMG gear we'll be using pvc foam (www.sdplastics.com/komatex) for the outer shell of the boxes with a foam center. The rest of the methods that will be used for the gear that will be done for the swords will be plywood and PVC method as well.

The method of making the 3DMG is similar to that of a scabbard so I'll link my scabbard tut. Hope that helps!

http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...-ala-2013.html

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
capricious

I was thinking cardboard since I have some experience in working with that, and then spray painting it. I'm curious how you plan on approaching the piece that attaches to your waist. It doesn't go all the way around so it's not exactly a belt... I kind of looks like it's cinched to your waist and maybe attached to parts of the body harness in the back. @_@ do you have any good reference images?
capricious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

This is what I'll be working from. 3DMG will most likely fastened to the waist using a belt under the brown sash they wear. Pretty much think of it as a fanny pack and it should work itself out.

Facebook
Deviantart
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
capricious

Very nice reference material! Thank you for this.
capricious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #7
djr7

thats from the manga, lots of great images there, http://www.mangapark.com/manga/attack-on-titan/v1/c1/18

another thing to note is that there are several different variations for the number of blades, panels, and even how the canister sits so its good to draw out ur version.

@Stabity what is the difference between PVC foamboard and regular foamboard? from the images it seems like its fully coated whereas regular foamboard is only coated on the top and bottom, is this correct? Thanks for the input guys! im going cardboard hunting tomorrow!
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

PVC foam is a foam made from PVC (like the pipes) as a result it behaves like an actual plastic. It's a superior material to cardboard and foamboard in that it is that much more durable and the finish on it is beautifully smooth.

The biggest downside however is the difficulty to find it. Most areas have a local retailer, but they're hard to hunt down since they are specialty plastics retailers. I get mine from www.sdplastics.com

GL!

Facebook
Deviantart
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
detenten

Corrugated plastic would be a great alternative to cardboard. Just as light, more durable, and waterproof in case of rain! We hoard this stuff during campaign season-- it's what campaign signs are often made of. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to get it when there aren't elections going on... thought a quick Google search seems to show that it can be bought!

detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detenten View Post
Corrugated plastic would be a great alternative to cardboard. Just as light, more durable, and waterproof in case of rain! We hoard this stuff during campaign season-- it's what campaign signs are often made of. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to get it when there aren't elections going on... thought a quick Google search seems to show that it can be bought!

Plastic shops like sdplastics sells corrugated plastic as well as sign shops. Hopefully that gives people a start on their googling.

I'd still recommend away from it though since you either have to put in a lot of work to get rid of the corrugated texture or just deal with the texture all together.

Facebook
Deviantart
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
djr7

I see thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!
fortunately for me (BC) weve got a big vote comming up in a few days and I know a few sign places that I can probably buy the plastic from if I want.
I managed to grab some large cardboard pieces from my work (warehouse) whichi am going to construct my mock up version, my friend has some foamboard for me which I am going to try and experiment with by covering the cardboard with it.

I will probably try out the PVC board for final product but well see how things go, thanks again for the help!!!
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
Miyzuki

that site is it one sheet or multi? $24 for one sheet?
Miyzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
vonbrinck
TD-4395

Pink insulation foam and pvc would work as well.
just a heads up the manga and anime have different 3dmg
vonbrinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
odinnightowl

ok here is a slightly different suggestion. yall haven't mentioned the straps that go around the boxes or the straps that go from the boxes to the belt. The ones around the box look metal that can be done a few ways. leather pleather or plastics. just needs a slight metal look. for the straps from the boxes to the person that i would do with a couple strips of what is called leather scraps (which can be bought fairly cheap) or pleather strips. they look leather and also look like in the back the may either attach to the barrel or have a ring to go thru. i would put a small metal ring the material can slide through and have 2 long strips connecting the top and bottom of what would be the bottom of the boxes together so that are secure yet mobile as well.
odinnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyzuki View Post
that site is it one sheet or multi? $24 for one sheet?
Yeah it's for one sheet, but one sheet is 8' x 4' which is huge. I completed my 3DMG tutorial so hopefully people can use it now.

http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...r-christa.html

Facebook
Deviantart