Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Sakura Con

Unread 03-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
NiGHTmaren
...into Dreams
Modoka Magica

Sakura Con 2013: Feedback Thread

This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on Sakura Con 2013!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the guests, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's Sakura Con!

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Holiday Matsuri (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, Robotnik (genderbend) from Sonic, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
NiGHTmaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
ArdentTenue

I guess I'll be the first. I had an immense amount of fun at Sakura-Con; it was my first anime convention, but it totally exceeded my expectations; I kind of felt like a little kid going to Disneyland for the first time, lol... When comparing Sakura-Con to Emerald City Comic Con, Sakura-Con was 4 times the fun for me personally.

I bought so much awesome nerdy stuff from the Sakura-Con dealers, and my walls are now 1/3rd covered in anime posters for the first time ever in my life; I usually have like nothing on my walls pretty much; I think Iíve officially joined the "Nerd Club", lol. XD

I would have to say, the late night panels were the most fun; some of the day time panels were to dulled down to be all that interesting for me; I'm not saying they weren't interesting, since I did have fun at the day time cosplay chess on Saturday, but the late night events were funnier and more entertaining overall.

I found it pretty awesome that nearly half the people at Sakura-Con were in cosplay, which at the same time made me feel a little out of place since I ended up deciding not to cosplaying this time around.

Overall, I'm hooked on conventions now since Sakura-Con; Iím already making plans to attend Aki-Con and Kumori-Con in the fall, and Sakura-Con next year; I'm totally going to cosplay from here on out; I can't wait! ^^
ArdentTenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
Funkgun

I have been going since 09'.

I enjoyed this one almost as much as any year but my first (what can I say, the first one I went to will always be special)
This was the first year I helped out on staff.

Luckily I felt I missed out on nothing. I was able to attend everything that I wanted to. (well almost everything, there is always something that overlaps on something else.

If I were to say an improvement was moving some of the major panels to level 4, and moving some of the games to level 6.

If I were to change one item, I would not put a loud theater playing a mecha title right next door to a live action version of Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt through Time. We could hear all the explosions and characters screaming which was a bit annoying while watching the other flick.
Funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Kaileena Sedai
Empress of Time

I think I'm the only person who didn't enjoy this year as much. In fact I really didn't have a great time at all.

Quote:
From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?
Pros: Tully's was open 24 hours! Thank you Con staff for arranging that if that was you. It was soooo nice to get up and get coffee or stay up and get coffee, as I had a mocha at about 10:30 one night. It was awesome!

Cons: The rest of the con, I didn't really care for it this year, to me it had the feeling of this was the entire executive staff's first year putting together a con and it reflected that. Lack of actors, which is the reason I come to con, it seemed like there was less to do around the Con then there had been in previous years, actually I checked my pocket books from the last few years and there were less things to do. I had gone to Emerald City Comic Con two weeks previous and had more fun. Which is sad because ECC is not my Con Sakura is. I didn't even feel the urge to cosplay this year. Generally I walk around at night and the Con was super dead more so then last year or any of the years previous. It was kind of sad actually.

I am coming back next year, and it looks like next year will be lovely since I already like the mascot and I've not cared for the mascot since my first con. *laughs* So here's hoping I have more fun next year.
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Japan_86

Actually the Tully's coffee acted independently from sakura con with that decision to stay open all of con. Perhaps they will do the same again next year.

Pros: I had fun taking pictures

Cons: Barely got any sleep.
Japan_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
Rhapsodey
WhatisthisIdon'teven...

Super late, but lawdy does this need to be said thanks to the forums poofing...

This year was...eh. Not a lot of guests, not a lot of panels or events, huge dramas I saw on the convention floor. Not just between attendees but between staff and attendees. This was my first year having issues with SC staff like I did. I was yelled at at least twice a day from Thursday to Sunday. Was a little miffed at that...

But besides room drama, I had a pretty good year. c: Hoping for better staff and better organization next year!
ECC 2015
Sakura Con 2015
Everfree Northwest 2015

WIP Costumes -
Rhyme - TWEWY - 90%
Mami Tomoe - Madoka Magica - 5%
Surprise steampunk! - 65%

My dA
My Facebook page
Rhapsodey is offline   Reply With Quote